Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Installing dual mppt leisure and starter battery charger

Roger Donoghue

Roger Donoghue

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
The Epever Duo uses a scoring system. Batt1 is Leisure, Batt 2 starter.

Batt1 gets all the charge, unless :

Batt1 is full, and there is spare energy.
Batt1 is charging but there is still spare energy.
Batt2 is below a set voltage,

Batt2 only gets 1 amp max (it gets charged PWM style).

They do get charged in parallel at times.

rod_vw

rod_vw

Vehicle
Motorhome
I am intrigued (or even dismayed) to see +12v potential wires coloured brown. Brown is the DIN standard for -ve chassis ground potential!

Or have I misunderstood some of the pictures? Apologies if I have.

Roger Donoghue

Roger Donoghue

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 Beach
We switched from thinwall to regular thick wall with the starter battery live as it takes a route that can get crushed in a limited set of circumstances, so wanted the extra insulation thickness.

At the same time I wanted to use a different colour to differentiate the cable from the others in the kit that use red as positive so the installation procedure is not confusing, having to back-trace wires.

British automotive cabling has brown as positive. British domestic cabling has brown as live. So I feel brown is a reasonable choice. The cable has a fuse on the end that is 45 cm from the connector so it is obvious to all that it is positive.

I'm afraid your dismay may turn to aghasteness(?) when I tell you that brown is out of stock everywhere so the next lot of kits will have a blue wire.

rod_vw

rod_vw

Vehicle
Motorhome
We switched from thinwall to regular thick wall with the starter battery live as it takes a route that can get crushed in a limited set of circumstances, so wanted the extra insulation thickness.

At the same time I wanted to use a different colour to differentiate the cable from the others in the kit that use red as positive so the installation procedure is not confusing, having to back-trace wires.

British automotive cabling has brown as positive. British domestic cabling has brown as live. So I feel brown is a reasonable choice. The cable has a fuse on the end that is 45 cm from the connector so it is obvious to all that it is positive.

I'm afraid your dismay may turn to aghasteness(?) when I tell you that brown is out of stock everywhere so the next lot of kits will have a blue wire.
Sorry to have picked this up, it's just that I have a low voltage electrical background and have been a VW owner for over fifty years so think Brown -ve chassis earth automatically even to the extent that I have to be very careful when working with 240v mains cable not to get it wrong!
Quite why Europe and us in GB have opted to use Brown for 240v live when the automotive industry in Europe was already using brown for chassis ground for decades.

I don't know who your suppliers are but in the past I have used...

AES at Tenbury Wells - https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/
and
Vehicle Wiring Products at Ilkeston - https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/

Like you I am always very careful about possible chaffing of wires and often opt to use additional sleeving for both singles or looms where not obviously necessary.

As for blue wire, no problem to me as it doesn't look like an earth cable. I suspect in DIN terms blue has some reference to control or sensing circuit use but hey-ho we can only use what we can get.