Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dual battery charging on hook up with solar dual charger?

Trollhunter

Trollhunter

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Having the solar panel dual charger set up to charge both leisure and starter batteries, will having the van on hook up also end up charging the starter battery once the leisure batteries are full?
Thought perhaps excess power will go through the solar charger and on to the starter battery as they are all interlinked (I obviously have absolutely zero knowledge of how these electrical systems work :oops:)

Having the solar panel dual charger set up to charge both leisure and starter batteries, will having the van on hook up also end up charging the starter battery once the leisure batteries are full?
Thought perhaps excess power will go through the solar charger and on to the starter battery as they are all interlinked (I obviously have absolutely zero knowledge of how these electrical systems work :oops:)
Simple answer - No.

On the T5.1 and T6 there is a small charge to the Starter Battery when on Hook up. This is NOT by design, but has been proven by a number of members to be true although VW deny it.

Simple answer - No.

On the T5.1 and T6 there is a small charge to the Starter Battery when on Hook up. This is NOT by design, but has been proven by a number of members to be true although VW deny it.
Ok, thanks.
Mine is one of those that doesnt, thats why I ended up installing the dual charger, which works very well.
Just wondered as it is getting pretty dark in Norway now so less efficient. Guess i will just have to make sure I take it for a drive now and then.

I looked into hitching up the hook-up to charge both vehicle and leisure batteries. VW told me if I did this while the vehicle was still under warranty that the warranty would be invalidated.

I looked into hitching up the hook-up to charge both vehicle and leisure batteries. VW told me if I did this while the vehicle was still under warranty that the warranty would be invalidated.
And you believed them?

And you believed them?
It was the senior technical chap at my local VW Commercials dealership - so yes. If I needed any warranty work done he would have had to sign it off.

It was the senior technical chap at my local VW Commercials dealership - so yes. If I needed any warranty work done he would have had to sign it off.
Place on Hookup so that Mains charger charges Leisure Battery.
Plug a Smart charger into the internal Mains socket and connect the output to the starter battery, either via a 12v socket powered by the Starter battery that is not ignition controlled, or direct to the Starter battery via crocodile clips to +tve pole ( and chassis Earth not -tve pole ), or wire to Earth point under passenger seat and +tve input from starter battery to Split Charge relay also under front passenger seat.
Methods 1 & 2 leave no evidence.

Plug a Smart charger into the internal Mains socket and connect the output to the starter battery, either via a 12v socket powered by the Starter battery that is not ignition controlled, or direct to the Starter battery via crocodile clips to +tve pole ( and chassis Earth not -tve pole ), or wire to Earth point under passenger seat and +tve input from starter battery to Split Charge relay also under front passenger seat.
Or get a dashboard solar charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter socket?
B9AC7FFD-696E-46B8-ACAA-1D7F6304B284.png

Yes thanks. I did something along these lines, takes 30 seconds to set up and dismantle. I take a spur off the hook-up cable underneath the vehicle into the engine bay and connect up to a smart charger that is already hooked up to the battery - just plug it in. If visiting VW takes 5 mins to remove. There is usually a work round.