Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Innovative ways to secure your California?

E

Exclusively T4

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has some cunning, devious ways to secure their van?

I use a wheel clamp when not in use but it's heavy and cumbersome.

Today I wondered about securing the drivers seat to face away from the steering wheel. Any other good ways?

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

Today I wondered about securing the drivers seat to face away from the steering wheel. Any other good ways?

Thanks!
Remember, most, if not all thefts of the vehicle are with the keys. So if you fit anything that requires a key to unlock and you keep that key with the ignition key then you effectively negate the additional security. Keep the keys secure and the vehicle is secure.
Nothing will stop a brick through a window and lifting any valuables in view.

Remember, most, if not all thefts of the vehicle are with the keys. So if you fit anything that requires a key to unlock and you keep that key with the ignition key then you effectively negate the additional security. Keep the keys secure and the vehicle is secure.

I was musing this actually - as you say, these days a vehicle will be stolen either by towing or key theft. Additional layers of security, well you may as well keep the keys together because if someone is hovering over your head with a baseball bat at 3am, it would be probably preferable to let them get on with it, but that said if there was enough faff involved it might put them off in the first place. Of course, if you use your vehicle regularly that faff will affect you too.

Even with the key mine won’t start once I’ve deployed the “device”.

Steering wheel locks are widely used over here. Allthough I hear thieves just saw through the steering wheel. Gear box lock (like bear lock) is another option. It al depends on what you want to protect against and how much trouble youre willing to go through (once or daily).

In our old T4 we had a piece of metal with a lock that secured all pedals together and made them unusable.

Hi everyone,

Thanks!
I agree with @WelshGas that it starts with key management. I do think (or, more correctly, guess) that further disincentives may add something too: the more unusual/unique the better. Previous posting on the subject have talked of recognised brand wheel clamps and steering locks being removed in seconds by ‘professional’ thieves.

I use a high quality 1.7m long German motorcycle heavy chain/lock around the steering column and brake pedal with harmonised custom brand printed security bands on the door handles (when parking in dodgy areas) creating I hope a puzzle of apparent additional security that leaves a potential thief wary - though I am realistic that it is a gesture and if an expert thief wants my California they will not be deterred.

I have mused about a swivelled seat lock, and subject to the caveats above it may have merit, the more obvious (and unique) the locking the better.

Always parking at steering full turn, back to a wall/obstacle, with the steering lock engaged, to make towing away or low loader theft more difficult, again as others have posted, probably has merit too.

My first car, a 1933 Austin 10 had a switch for ignition and did not even have locks on the door handles. My security in those days, was to open the bonnet and pocket the rotor arm.

I also carry in my California a battery pack angle grinder, in case I find I have been locked in ‘by a mistake’ behind a farm gate for example. So quick and powerful are these now I imagine they will defeat many physical protections.

I agree with @WelshGas that it starts with key management. I do think (or, more correctly, guess) that further disincentives may add something too: the more unusual/unique the better. Previous posting on the subject have talked of recognised brand wheel clamps and steering locks being removed in seconds by ‘professional’ thieves.

I use a high quality 1.7m long German motorcycle heavy chain/lock around the steering column and brake pedal with harmonised custom brand printed security bands on the door handles (when parking in dodgy areas) creating I hope a puzzle of apparent additional security that leaves a potential thief wary - though I am realistic that it is a gesture and if an expert thief wants my California they will not be deterred.

I have mused about a swivelled seat lock, and subject to the caveats above it may have merit, the more obvious (and unique) the locking the better.

Always parking at steering full turn, back to a wall/obstacle, with the steering lock engaged, to make towing away or low loader theft more difficult, again as others have posted, probably has merit too.

My first car, a 1933 Austin 10 had a switch for ignition and did not even have locks on the door handles. My security in those days, was to open the bonnet and pocket the rotor arm.

I also carry in my California a battery pack angle grinder, in case I find I have been locked in ‘by a mistake’ behind a farm gate for example. So quick and powerful are these now I imagine they will defeat many physical protections.
An advantage on the T5/5.1/6 You cannot swivel the Drivers seat without opening the door. So, if Deadlocks/ Safelock engaged and seat turned, as safe as you can be.

Not sure if the same applies to the T6.1

Put drawing pins on the seats like we did back in the 70s at school. Its about time that made a come back.Modern day thieves will not know whats hit them.
Swopping plug leads around on a mates Viva was a giggle/prank….. until we couldn’t work out the firing order to fix It, RAC man wasn’t impressed!

Steering wheel and pedal locks plus Insurance provided 'Smart Paint' with window stickers to warn of this being fitted on mine.

professional theft will beat any device but you can as the Police advise fit visual time consuming deterrents.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, so let me ask: since I can lock and unlock the van with the app, I might leave the keys hidden somewhere in the van, so I can't loose them ? Bad idea ? Of course, I'll have to guard my phone, but I do that anyway, and it's protected with a pincode.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea, so let me ask: since I can lock and unlock the van with the app, I might leave the keys hidden somewhere in the van, so I can't loose them ? Bad idea ? Of course, I'll have to guard my phone, but I do that anyway, and it's protected with a pincode.
One theft 'trick' is jamming the signal to lock the vehicle requiring a physical check that it is locked.
It also seems that OBD plug now needs protection as that gives access to overiding security.

Keys in the van then I would have thought Insurance would be invalid.
Pop sliding window or brick through window and keys found - van driven away.

When my T2 was stolen, they just hooked it up to a tow vehicle and dragged it away, there were skid marks from the parking spot through the car park and onto the road, I assume they then pulled it up onto a flatbed once they got it onto the road and more space. It was never seen again.

When my T2 was stolen, they just hooked it up to a tow vehicle and dragged it away, there were skid marks from the parking spot through the car park and onto the road, I assume they then pulled it up onto a flatbed once they got it onto the road and more space. It was never seen again.
That must have hurt ... :(

Who would you recommend to fit a Bear Lock?
Theftstop fitted ours, they are based in Birmingham. You can go to them or they will come to you, just google Bearlock, it will come up.

Theftstop fitted ours, they are based in Birmingham. You can go to them or they will come to you, just google Bearlock, it will come up.
Yes I have been looking at them this morning. Picking up my cali in 2 weeks so will give them a call. Thanks for that.

A case of if they want it you are virtually powerless to prevent it going.

reminds me of a case where 4 leylandii trees were cut down to enable a caravan to be dragged out and a security tow hitch/post cut off also cut.

I have debated wiring the Cali into the house alarm circuit or using a remote system to prevent the wiring requirement.

Back