Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Selling your California in 2023 - real world experience!

Thanks.
Good question. Not sure.
We were surprised it sold so quickly. Had a lot of interest.

What spec, year and mileage and what was it advertised for if you don’t mind me asking?

Last edited:
I think a significant pont has been missed in this thread. Forget about the space, economy, cost etc. etc……Calis look damn cool!
Only when they are being used.

What spec, year and mileage and what was it advertised for if you don’t mind me asking?

Saw that. Very nice.

Fair price for both parties

@Paul_W Great post, thanks.
I see there's another Berghaus on here at £39k. I wonder what that went for....although it's none of my business :)

Couple of questions, if I may, Paul...
Did you have any of the Berghaus extras that came with the van? I've held on to all my stuff....coffee mugs, map wallet, sleeping bags, rucksack etc. I do often wonder if they're desirable or whether I'm storing it all pointlessly!
Second question. What was your Parking Sensor issue? Mine has started to beep continuously, unless I deactivate it on the dash. I've wiped all the sensors...which is the extent of my tech expertise.
Cheers

@Paul_W Great post, thanks.
I see there's another Berghaus on here at £39k. I wonder what that went for....although it's none of my business :)

Couple of questions, if I may, Paul...
Did you have any of the Berghaus extras that came with the van? I've held on to all my stuff....coffee mugs, map wallet, sleeping bags, rucksack etc. I do often wonder if they're desirable or whether I'm storing it all pointlessly!
Second question. What was your Parking Sensor issue? Mine has started to beep continuously, unless I deactivate it on the dash. I've wiped all the sensors...which is the extent of my tech expertise.
Cheers
Probably one of the sensors has failed. Not an uncommon problem.
Switch on Ignition, place in reverse and go round each sensor and listen for a tick tick from the sensor. Use a glass, open end over sensor, to hear it more easily. Any sensor that doesn't click has failed. If there is more than one then it could be a plug/wiring issue.

Probably one of the sensors has failed. Not an uncommon problem.
Switch on Ignition, place in reverse and go round each sensor and listen for a tick tick from the sensor. Use a glass, open end over sensor, to hear it more easily. Any sensor that doesn't click has failed. If there is more than one then it could be a plug/wiring issue.
Crouching down at the back of a running 2 tonne van, in reverse, with my gob open next to the exhaust. What could possibly go wrong. Wish me luck...... :)

Crouching down at the back of a running 2 tonne van, in reverse, with my gob open next to the exhaust. What could possibly go wrong. Wish me luck...... :)
Not with the engine running, just ignition On to activate the sensors when in reverse.

Sold mine yesterday! Real world experience, i didn't even need to advertise it, i just put it out and about that i was for sale and it was sold in a flash. I got €500 more than i paid for it four years ago.

Well I’ve just sold our 2012 California Berghaus 180 BiTDi after 5 years of ownership and wanted to share my experience.

Reason for sale was mainly lack of use, nothing more than weekends away last year, previously we’d have done numerous week long road trips plus loads of weekends. Also the dirty diesel brigade are fast closing in, not to mention the price differential between petrol and diesel (23p a litre locally). In Manchester we should currently be paying £10 a day ULEZ charge but it’s been postponed and is under review but it is coming.
If you didn't use it much then the price of diesel and the ULEZ charge weren't really valid reasons for selling. The dirty diesel lobby will just have to sit on their hands when it finally dawns on the Government that the ban on the sale of ICE vehicles in 2030 is totally unrealistic. The fact that your van was standing idel most of the time shouldn't really be a reason for selling either, that is unless you needed to realise funds. Being a 2012 model it had long passed the initial depreciation that most new cars experience. Ours doesn't move much either but it's there if we want to use it, as we do during the more clement months. It doesn't bother us and we use B&Bs, Hotels and take package holidays as well. Our van is just one string to our holiday bow. It really is ok to say that you're done with camper vans and just fancied a change.

As an aside, we run several modern cars. Last year I valued my wife's car, a cabriolet, not because we wanted to sell it but because I wanted to study how the likes of WeBuyAnycar.com adjust their values over the seasons. Last summer WBAC valued it a £30k. As we entered Autumn the regular price offer renewals started to drop and settled at just under £25k in mid winter. Now as the spring weather starts to arrive it's back up to £28k. Obviously the value of most modern cars will drop year by year but my point is that the likes of campervans and cabriolets also depends on the season you decide to sell in. As the sun and warmer spring weather arrives such cars will naturally be more in demand and therefore price offers will almost certainly rise.

Back