Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ice Driving with the DSG

D

danny13

VIP Member
Not having a 4Motion, makes ice driving interesting.

Are there any specific recommendations for the DSG box on ice? I haven't tried yet but is it possible to stick the DSG in manual and slowly start from 2nd or 3rd gear.

Interesting the few times I have got stuck on snow/ice going nowhere due to a slight incline, turning the van around and attempting to reverse up a slippery incline gives so much more traction due to more weight over the front end. (Just don't reverse into a tree as I did in an old T5)

4 motion will not make ice driving any easier to be honest ...if u have ice tyres then your be ok .... Not really needed in the UK I feel.
Now snow driving with snow tyres will be better with 4 motion In the deeper stuff than 2 wd ...on our road mud & snow tyres seem to be good enough :)

Just thinking about a trip up to the Alps.

I'll probably invest in chains/sock, but there's always the transition phase. i.e. how long do you slip and slide until the chains come out. My mentality has always been stuck = time to put chains on, will probably need to be a bit more sensible in the cali when compared with how I'd use the hire cars with winter tyres.

Even with chains/socks on it'd be easier to take off from stationary in 2nd gear with more clutch (that's what I would do in a manual), will have to see how this works with the DSG!

I haven't tried yet but is it possible to stick the DSG in manual and slowly start from 2nd or 3rd gear.

As you will probably have discovered by now this is possible. However it is not a true manual as driver never has complete control of the gearbox. If ecu thinks you should be in a different gear it will change gear. So not really manual. :headbang

Back