Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I urgently need a Picture of fuse box with Nextbase hardwire kit fitted

Czmitche

Czmitche

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I am currently in Halfords having a Nextbase 622gw fitted with hardwire kit. This kit feeds the camera from a switched slot in the fuse box. You either put it in a spare slot or replace an existing fuse as the powerlead has a built in fuse (rated only at 2amps I am told so you need to know what you are replacing). I would rather use a spare slot and based on forums slot 43 to the left of a 7.5 amp fuse is where to go - with tail pointing up. My fitter is somewhat bemused as this slot only seems to have one metal terminal. Does someone with a t6.1 California Ocean have this dashcam and the Nextbase hard wiring kit - all working reliably? If so could they please share a photo with the piggyback fuse actually in place? I would be very grateful. BTW I have been told that the Nextbase only has an ignition switched power supply and parking mode is achieved via the internal battery - the camera apparently wakes up if the car is hit - is this true?

Not my understanding of the wiring for the 622gw. to get effective parking mode cover.

Here is the section from the manual :

Parking ModeWhen Parking Mode has been turned on, the Dash Cam enters standby mode when the 12Vdcsupply has been turned OFF (typically removing your ignition key).The Dash Cam will also enter standby mode if no physical movement is detected for 5 minutes,this is designed to allow use of a permanent 12Vdc supply, i.e hard-wire kit.See page 6 for more detailsShould physical movement of the vehicle be detected, the Dash Cam will power on and startrecording a 45 second protected video. If no further physical movement is detected then theDash Cam will return to standby mode, if physical movement is detected subsequently, then thecamera will continue to record normally, i.e. driving once more.Options: On and OffDefault: Off

So designed to be wired to a permanent live feed if the Parking Mode option is enabled in the menu structure.

I'm not sure how long the built in battery will support recording in Parking Mode.

I fitted a 622GW front and rear kit to my Cali last weekend, but used the Nextbase OBD power adaptor instead of tapping into the fuses. The OBD power supply gives a permanent live and had a sticker on it instructing that the camera should have Parking Mode enabled to prevent draining the vehicle battery.

EDIT :

And this from the 622GW manual which also suggests the need for a permanent 12v supply :

Parking Mode NoticeWe only recommend enabling Parking Mode when the Dash Cam is installed using a permanentlylive power supply (live when the ignition is off) provided by a Nextbase Hardwire Kit, the use of thisfeature without continuous power being fed to the Dash Cam will not be sufficient for a consistentand reliable Parking Mode experience

Last edited:
Not my understanding of the wiring for the 622gw. to get effective parking mode cover.

Parking ModeWhen Parking Mode has been turned on, the Dash Cam enters standby mode when the 12Vdcsupply has been turned OFF (typically removing your ignition key).The Dash Cam will also enter standby mode if no physical movement is detected for 5 minutes,this is designed to allow use of a permanent 12Vdc supply, i.e hard-wire kit.See page 6 for more detailsShould physical movement of the vehicle be detected, the Dash Cam will power on and startrecording a 45 second protected video. If no further physical movement is detected then theDash Cam will return to standby mode, if physical movement is detected subsequently, then thecamera will continue to record normally, i.e. driving once more.Options: On and OffDefault: Off

So designed to be wired to a permanent live feed if the Parking Mode option is enabled in the menu structure.

I'm not sure how long the built in battery will support recording in Parking Mode.

I fitted a 622GW front and rear kit to my Cali last weekend, but used the Nextbase OBD power adaptor instead of tapping into the fuses. The OBD power supply gives a permanent live and had a sticker on it instructing that the camera should have Parking Mode enabled to prevent draining the vehicle battery.

EDIT :

And this from the 622GW manual which also suggests the need for a permanent 12v supply :

Parking Mode NoticeWe only recommend enabling Parking Mode when the Dash Cam is installed using a permanentlylive power supply (live when the ignition is off) provided by a Nextbase Hardwire Kit, the use of thisfeature without continuous power being fed to the Dash Cam will not be sufficient for a consistentand reliable Parking Mode experience
Thanks for this - I will take this up with halfords!

Thanks for this - I will take this up with halfords!
No problem. Glad to help.

If they used the Nextbase hard wire kit then I think it should be a quick fix for them to wire it into a permanent live fuse on the fusebox.

As far as I can work out the Nextbase hardwire kit has a voltage sensor built in anyway which shuts down supply to the camera if the vehicle battery voltage falls below a preset limit to prevent flattening the battery.

EDIT :

This is from the manual for the Nextbase hardwire kit -

Hardwire KitFor use with all Nextbase™ Dash Cam models. These instructions provide the necessary information to installthe Dash Cam Hardwire Kit properly and safely within your vehicle. Before beginning the installation process,please read these instructions carefully.It is recommended for normal journey video recording, the Hardwire Kit is connectedto a ‘switched’ power supply. This means that power is supplied to the Dash CamONLY when the vehicle’s ignition is turned on.A permanent live (un-switched) connection is only required when the Dash Cam isto be used when the vehicle is not in use, i.e. for surveillance purposes. The DashCam will operate normally until the vehicle’s battery drops below the minimumvoltage cut-off level; this minimum voltage cut-off is 11.0Vdc for a 12Vdc batteryand 23.0Vdc for a 24Vdc battery. This protects the vehicle’s battery.If in any doubt, please consult a vehicle technician prior to starting installation.

Parking mode is only activated if the vehicle is significantly 'moved' - you can change the sensitivity on the webcam. The webcam will only be woken from standby mode and operate for 3 minutes on each activation. When the ignition is next activated the webcam will be charged again. So battery supported parking mode will be okay on a road trip but looks dodgy if the campervan is going to be parked up for any period of time. The bank of permantly on fuses is right below the row of switched fuses so I have the option of just moving to a different spare slot.

It seems very odd that the hardwire kit and the webcam manuals seem to disagree with each other!

More confusion from Nextbase

Intelligent Parking Mode is an option that can be selected in the menu of every new Series 2 Dash Cam. As soon as you park and the ignition is turned off, the Dash Cam will automatically switch into Parking Mode by shutting down everything except the G Force sensor.

If the camera is attached to a 'hot' fuse how will it detect that the ignition is turned off and automatically switch into parking mode? I think the OBD connection will get around this with more sophisticated wiring. I will see if I can get hold of Nextbase themselves and see what they recommend.

It is confusing and I guess it comes down to how long the internal webcam battery can support sleep/parking mode.

If I were you, I would ask them to move the piggyback fuse onto a permanent live supply, but make a note as to which ignition switched fuse it was originally plugged into.

In the unlikely event that the vehicle battery does go flat due to excessive draw from the webcam, as you mention you can just move the piggyback fuse back to the switched supply.

I'm will be using our Cali nearly every day as it is my daily transport so I'm not too worried about the battery going flat. I also carry a Noco jump start pack so if the battery does get low, I have a back up.

As mentioned in my earlier reply, the Nextbase OBD power supply uses the permanent live pin on the OBD port. It also has low voltage protection built in, so Nextbase must be reasonably confident that a permanent live setup with Parking Mode enabled on the camera is not going to flatten the vehicle battery.

Just seen your last reply.

With a permanent live feed, this clause in my original reply should apply :

The Dash Cam will also enter standby mode if no physical movement is detected for 5 minutes,this is designed to allow use of a permanent 12Vdc supply, i.e hard-wire kit.

My money says the OBD hard wire kit has exactly the same little voltage sensing in-line back box with LED that your two wire hard wire kit has. The OBD plug is just for convenience to pick up a permanent live and earth without having to play around with the vehicle's fuses.

Probably cheaper for them to produce the OBD version as well, since they don't need to include a selection of different sized piggyback fuse connectors :) And less support needed for DIY installers who may be unable to figure out how to use the piggy back fuse adaptors.

Its a very easy job if you have the piggyback connectors which i would imagine comes with every hardwired kits you just need to find constant live and switched live.I fitted my road angel dash came front and back in less that an hour including running the wires to the rear. You need to check what memory card comes with your kit if its only 32gb you will only get about 3 hours recording time then it loops around.I changed mine to the max which is 128gb which gives you about 8 hours..

Why not just use the supplied 12v cigarette style adapter plugged into the permanent live socket on top of the dash? I do that and run the wire around the windscreen, excess cable goes into the huge gap below the windscreen. You then have easy control to disconnect when you’re camping and likely to set it off recording by banging around. I did this as fitted myself and did not want to mess with fuse box.

We piggy backed the heater fuse as didnt want it drawing any power when the ignition was off. Nextbase have a decent internal battery.

When I installed my cameras in our T5.1 SE, I used the leisure batteries as the permanent supply, as I expected 2 batteries to last for days if needed, and didn't want to drain the engine battery. I picked up the permanent supply from a fuse under the front passenger seat. My van had an automatic gearbox.

I picked up an ignition-switched feed from the fuse box under the dash.

Alan