Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Have I just been fobbed off?

My Nextbase camera had a piggyback fuseholder on the end of it's power lead & somewhere on this forum I found guidance as to the appropriate fuse to pull out of the nearside footwell & pop back into it.

My power lead then runs under dashboard to the doorframe & up the A-pillar, but I'll admit I'd not fancy running one to the back. At the time I think Mike CFO was doing similar & succeeded.
Thanks Hirsty,
I've not looked at the unit yet. It's still in the sealed box just in case I decide to take it back.

The front cam doesn't sound too difficult to do. The A post piller trim is easy enough to remove and the wire above that just tucks behind the roof lining. I imagine that below the A post it's merely a case of feeding the wire with the piggy back fuse connector through the back of the dash and then plugging it into the right fuse position.

However, like you I think routing the wire for the rear cam is more of an issue. Firstly, should I go low or go high? I don't fancy trying to route the cable behind the upper trim panels in a Beach. They all look too well attached and I don't want to break anything. So I think it would have to be routed at floor level down the N/S. I know the cable can be tucked under the bottom of the rear N/S trim. Amarillo posted pictures of his solar panel cable taking that route so that shouldn't be a problem. Taking the cable up the inside of the rear pillar and then to the rear camera shouldn't be a problem either. The only real question is what route to take around the front N/S passenger door. Going over the top and down inside the B pillar is probably the best route as the alternative would be under the floor carpet which I'm not keen on.

Writing this has almost given me enough confidence to have a go myself. However I think I'll do as you did first and try and find those threads on the forum.

Thanks again,
Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Hirsty,
I've not looked at the unit yet. It's still in the sealed box just in case I decide to take it back.

The front cam doesn't sound too difficult to do. The A post piller trim is easy enough to remove and the wire above that just tucks behind the roof lining. I imagine that below the A post it's merely a case of feeding the wire with the piggy back fuse connector through the back of the dash and then plugging it into the right fuse position.

However, like you I think routing the wire for the rear cam is more of an issue. Firstly, should I go low or go high? I don't fancy trying to route the cable behind the upper trim panels in a Beach. They all look too well attached and I don't want to break anything. So I think it would have to be routed at floor level down the N/S. I know the cable can be tucked under the bottom of the rear N/S trim. Amarrillo posted pictures of his solar panel cable taking that route so that shouldn't be a problem. Taking the cable up the inside of the rear pillar and then to the rear camera shouldn't be a problem either. The only real question is what route to take around the front N/S passenger door. Going over the top and down inside the B pillar is probably the best route as the alternative would be under the floor carpet which I'm not keen on.

Writing this has almost given me enough confidence to have a go myself. However I think I'll do as you did first and try and find those threads on the forum.

Thanks again,
Paul

After two crashes in quick succession I asked Breeze Portsmouth to fit a Kenwood dashcam - a buy ‘n’ fit offer they were advertising.

It has been worth every penny. We haven’t had a crash since.

Thanks Hirsty,

However, like you I think routing the wire for the rear cam is more of an issue. Firstly, should I go low or go high? I don't fancy trying to route the cable behind the upper trim panels in a Beach. They all look too well attached and I don't want to break anything. So I think it would have to be routed at floor level down the N/S. I know the cable can be tucked under the bottom of the rear N/S trim. Amarrillo posted pictures of his solar panel cable taking that route so that shouldn't be a problem. Taking the cable up the inside of the rear pillar and then to the rear camera shouldn't be a problem either. The only real question is what route to take around the front N/S passenger door. Going over the top and down inside the B pillar is probably the best route as the alternative would be under the floor carpet which I'm not keen on.

Thanks again,
Paul
Personally I would route the wire under the lip of the Front N/S passenger step to the door seal and up to the Dashboard.
With regards to the front camera I placed the camera in position. Plugged the Power lead in and then worked backwards under the roof trim, down the A Pillar and then into the back underside of the dashboard and forwards into the fuse box. I used a piggy back fuse holder, part of the Nextbase Hardwire Kit, and used a fuse on the fusebox that powered the Heater Fan, that only came live on Ignition ON, tested by removing fuse No Heater Fan on Ignition On. Works perfectly. Excess wire could up behind Dashboard.

Personally I would route the wire under the lip of the Front N/S passenger step to the door seal and up to the Dashboard.
Thanks WG,
I just been looking at another thread that said just that. So thanks for the advice which I shall take.

"With regards to the front camera I placed the camera in position. Plugged the Power lead in and then worked backwards under the roof trim, down the A Pillar and then into the back underside of the dashboard and forwards into the fuse box. I used a piggy back fuse holder, part of the Nextbase Hardwire Kit, and used a fuse on the fusebox that powered the Heater Fan, that only came live on Ignition ON, tested by removing fuse No Heater Fan on Ignition On. Works perfectly. Excess wire could up behind Dashboard".

Thanks again. Very useful.

Can't edit.

The cameras come on and off with the ignition, I also have other stuff triggered by this fuse.

Can't edit.

The cameras come on and off with the ignition, I also have other stuff triggered by this fuse.
Only VIP members can edit posts I’m afraid.

Several weeks ago I strolled into our local Halfords and purchased a Nextbase 522GW dash cam for our brand new Beach. I also purchased a Nextbase rear window camera kit and a 64gb sd card for said dash cam. Today I took our Beach into the same branch having made an appointment to have the whole kit and caboodle fitted. Unfortunately the young girl whose job it was to do the fitting gave up after half an hours poking around looking for the appropriate fuse. She informed me that she couldn't do the job as there wasn't an ignition fuse! She then advised me that under the circumstances, the dashcam to have was a "Blackview" with either a "Power Magic Pro kit" or a "Connecta plug" kit. She told me that I'd need one or the other to protect my vehicle's battery from going flat. At this point I thought I could smell the faint whiff of bullshit.

Now I'm not an auto electrician and know just enough to not meddle in these things but having had our previous two Calis (T5 SE and a T6 Beach) successfully fitted with Nextbase dash cams at this same branch of Halfords by someone else, I suspect that I was being fobbed off. Anyway long story short, I still have these items and I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable people here on the forum before taking any further action to have this kit fitted. Having been left dissapointed I may now either have a stab at fitting it myself, subject to obtaining reliable instructions. Failing that it's back to the dealers to get them to fit it. Or was the this young lady correct and I have got the wrong kit? Our Beach has the Comfort dash layout.

Any help would be much appreciated.
I'm a Thinkware fan and fitted a F800pro front and back. Front was easy to run to front fuses. Back was a pain. Ran the wire through the upper ducting. The power to run in parking mode is from the leisure battery and I've set it to run for 48 hours

These guys will sort out this sort of thing. The sat nav failed and these guys fixed it and sorted me out with blue tooth calling. They are a quality establishment

I have a VanTrue with front/interior/rear cameras..power is available from the 12v cigarette skt + end of kitchen..provides “Parking” mode if required. Supply to rear camera is off the top of front camera…is easy from front to rear without lifting any panels, along the upper bed ledge, thro the wardrobe to back screen on “sticker” pads.