Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to get rid of “air freshener” smell

Air fresheners really make us feel sick too. As far as natural remedies go I have found that zeolite is the best odour and pollutant absorber, or bicarbonate of soda is good for smells. Just put a small bowl or tub with some zeolite in the van (out of dogs' reach, or put a lid on when they are in the van - I only leave the lid off when van parked up in case it gets tipped over whilst driving).
My sister swears by an onion cut in half to absorb smells too.
I got zeolite from Amazon a few years ago and keep reusing it when needed. I think it's a volcanic mineral.

If I remember it right, all these odor spray work in a way that they form bubbles on the surface that are popped and released their smell when you step on them or sit on them. Try to vacuum with a brittle brush. Should work.

I have looked about and not sure where to post, so moderators, please move to where you think appropriate...
My Cali has been in and out of the dealer trying to rectify certain issues (and making more in the meantime). When it arrived back last night (hopefully with everything resolved), I noticed a really pungent “air freshener” smell.
Whilst exercising the dogs this morning in a secure field I left the engine running and windows open... yet when I drove 45 miles to training afterwards I felt sick from the ‘perfume’. After another 2 hours training , and the same on the way home.
Heavens only knows what all these horrid chemicals are doing to the poor dogs.
There is no obvious air freshener in the van, so I am assuming it’s something uses to clean the carpet in the cabin area (which wasn’t requested or planned...)
Anyway, after a long intro, can anyone please give some advice on how to get rid of the horrible air freshener chemicals - or is it simply windows open and ventilate (which is really hard this time of year in North East Scotland...).
If anyone knows what brands or chemicals are used in these strong fragranced products by the dealers, I’d like to know.
Thanks
Hi Alison

I had a valet on my car where I ended up with the same problem.Totally understand your pain. It followed me into the house, which confused me until I realised that it had contaminated my work bag which I put in the footwell.
It’s apparently meant to prevent fungus from growing in your carpets! So the valet guy says. The good news is that it eventually goes, but it takes a few months. Hang in there.
Alan

For a natural method try a dish of coffee grounds left in the van for a few days. If you’re not a coffee drinker pop along to nearest coffee place as I’m sure they would give you a bag of used grounds.
We always used to use raw onion but you need to get the smell out of the carpet or it will take forever. Suggest the kneel down and sniff test. For a damp method vinegar in water neutralizes but wring the cloth out well this time of year. If possible leave with a dehumidifier on. If the carpet is perfectly dry bicarb massaged in then hoovered out should do it. They may have been trying to get the doggy smell out of the carpet! Some people are funny like that. Or more likely they spilled something.

Back