How to get rid of “air freshener” smell

AlisonF

AlisonF

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I have looked about and not sure where to post, so moderators, please move to where you think appropriate...
My Cali has been in and out of the dealer trying to rectify certain issues (and making more in the meantime). When it arrived back last night (hopefully with everything resolved), I noticed a really pungent “air freshener” smell.
Whilst exercising the dogs this morning in a secure field I left the engine running and windows open... yet when I drove 45 miles to training afterwards I felt sick from the ‘perfume’. After another 2 hours training , and the same on the way home.
Heavens only knows what all these horrid chemicals are doing to the poor dogs.
There is no obvious air freshener in the van, so I am assuming it’s something uses to clean the carpet in the cabin area (which wasn’t requested or planned...)
Anyway, after a long intro, can anyone please give some advice on how to get rid of the horrible air freshener chemicals - or is it simply windows open and ventilate (which is really hard this time of year in North East Scotland...).
If anyone knows what brands or chemicals are used in these strong fragranced products by the dealers, I’d like to know.
Thanks

I have looked about and not sure where to post, so moderators, please move to where you think appropriate...
My Cali has been in and out of the dealer trying to rectify certain issues (and making more in the meantime). When it arrived back last night (hopefully with everything resolved), I noticed a really pungent “air freshener” smell.
Whilst exercising the dogs this morning in a secure field I left the engine running and windows open... yet when I drove 45 miles to training afterwards I felt sick from the ‘perfume’. After another 2 hours training , and the same on the way home.
There is no obvious air freshener in the van, so I am assuming it’s something uses to clean the carpet in the cabin area (which wasn’t requested or planned...)
Anyway, after a long intro, can anyone please give some advice on how to get rid of the horrible air freshener chemicals - or is it simply windows open and ventilate (which is really hard this time of year in North East Scotland...).
If anyone knows what brands or chemicals are used in these strong fragranced products by the dealers, I’d like to know.
Thanks
Firstly, you need to decide where the smell is actually coming from.
Carpets, upholstery, airvents, vinyl flooring?

Firstly, you need to decide where the smell is actually coming from.
Carpets, upholstery, airvents, vinyl flooring?
I’m assuming carpets as I have waterproof seat covers and air vents are closed. Hadn’t thought about the vinyl flooring though...
Does that help?

I’m assuming carpets as I have waterproof seat covers and air vents are closed. Hadn’t thought about the vinyl flooring though...
Does that help?
Febreze Fabric Free. Odour Neutralizer.

Febreze Fabric Free. Odour Neutralizer.
That’s adding chemicals to neutralise chemicals... so still not good for my health, or the dogs...

That’s adding chemicals to neutralise chemicals... so still not good for my health, or the dogs...
Well the only alternative is Elbow Grease and Neutral Soap and water.
Or rip out the carpet and replace If you want a quick fix.
All depends how much you want to spend and how much time.

Have they added some freshner in the aircon ?

Wet muddy dogs.
Maybe just me, but I love that smell.

After one of our sons friends was sick in our car my wife bought a Neutradol Odour destroyer. It didn’t smell at all and it got ride of the smell quickly.

if you think its the carpet you could try this......

I’ve used something like this before. You set it off in the passenger footwell with the fan on full blast on recirc mode and it empties itself. You leave for a while with doors and windows closed.
94FC0558-D282-41B0-9673-AE96AC864FEB.jpeg

Put it in a garage and open all the windows smell will soon go.

We have one of these hanging in the Cali and one in the caravan

No cooking smells (not even onions), no sock or boot smells, no wet clothes smells.

I was sceptical, but they work for us....

Screenshot 2019-12-14 10.00.10.png

Thanks
Have you asked the dealer?

Have you asked the dealer?
Hmmm... no... have you seen my posts about the dealer?
When the van was delivered back on Thursday I received an email from service department that the manager is going to send me an email detailing the technical tests that were done... I’m still awaiting that...
Maybe I will ask once I have the email...

For a natural method try a dish of coffee grounds left in the van for a few days. If you’re not a coffee drinker pop along to nearest coffee place as I’m sure they would give you a bag of used grounds.

For a natural method try a dish of coffee grounds left in the van for a few days. If you’re not a coffee drinker pop along to nearest coffee place as I’m sure they would give you a bag of used grounds.
I grind coffee beans all the time - like this idea - thank you

Back