Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How low can I go?

slowcoach65

slowcoach65

VIP Member
Question, whats the lowest I can get my cali lowered and maintain it's warranty and without a hugh hike in my insurance, current with VW Insurance? So far I've come to the conclusion its's 30mm with VW lowering springs (affordable) or 70mm(ish) with VB Air (probably too expensive but not entirely out of the question). What I'm really looking for is 60mm(ish).

The problem I have is we're buying an new house which has yet to be built and the dimensions of the garage look like height is going to be really close.

Any suggestions? I think my default will be to go to SMG for the day for the springs.

Cheers,

Andy

Goodness!!

I saw "how low can I go" and thought "a thread after my own heart! Give me a bottle of wine and as low as it gets....."

Then I read the thread.

Damn :eek:

Not as exciting as I first thought :oops:

Well if the house is yet to be built, simply specify a standard garage door. Job done.

S.

sidepod said:
Well if the house is yet to be built, simply specify a standard garage door. Job done.

S.

Unfortunately, they won't. No changes to the plans are allowed and it is otherwise our perfect house!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Definitely come down to us. The springs are an approved VW part so won't have any effect on warranty and they come with their own two year warranty.

Would take half a day and we could run you down to the coast or into local town or give you a vehicle to disappear in for the day.

cheers

I can just get my Cali under a standard height up and over door however that is not the issue.
Can you close the door and the answer in my case is NO. My double garage is 5.3m from back wall to inside of garage door frame.To stand any chance I would need to reverse into the garage to give better door clearance and I still need at least another 400mm for the door to clear the Cali when closing.

Easy fix, keep garage opening the same so the dimensions remain the same but specify a roller shutter door and not an up and over door, you should then get 2.1m clearance and the vw is 1.95m ;-)

I looked at a roller shutter door but then there are other considerations.

1. If you mount inside the door pillars then you reduce your width by between 150 to 200mm depending upon the make. If it's a single garage door then you will probably not get the Cali in.

2. If you mount on the internal garage side of the pillar, thereby not reducing your door opening width, you then reduce the length of space available to park your vehicle meaning you need a longer garage.

Oh, I have a roller shutter but my channels are almost flush to the brickwork and so it's no problem and height clearance is great too but I suppose it will change from manufacturer to manufacturer, food for thought though,

cozmo1589 said:
Easy fix, keep garage opening the same so the dimensions remain the same but specify a roller shutter door and not an up and over door, you should then get 2.1m clearance and the vw is 1.95m ;-)

Nothing in this life is easy - I'm not allowed to make any alterations, including the garage door, for 5 years. This is stipulated in the covenant of the new build!

18hunts said:
I can just get my Cali under a standard height up and over door however that is not the issue.
Can you close the door and the answer in my case is NO. My double garage is 5.3m from back wall to inside of garage door frame.To stand any chance I would need to reverse into the garage to give better door clearance and I still need at least another 400mm for the door to clear the Cali when closing.

I'm hoping length won't be an issue - the garage is 5922mm long!

Is lowering with the VW springs something your insurers need to be aware of. And if so can anyone say how much it affected their premium or if they had issues getting insured. .

cullengr said:
Is lowering with the VW springs something your insurers need to be aware of. And if so can anyone say how much it affected their premium or if they had issues getting insured. .

OK, I think I'm sorted now. I'm insured with VW Insurance. They wouldn't entertain air-suspension! They are, however, more than happy with the VW approved lowering springs, all I have to do is let them know, there will not be an increase in premium.

I spoke to Alex at SMG Cowfold and I'm booked in for lowering springs! I have to say, SMG Cowfold are the first garage I can remember who returned my call when they said they would and sent me a text and email immediately to confirm my booking - old fashioned standards with 21st Century technology :clap

Andy

Just a quick update - had the lowering springs put on at SMG Cowfold. Whilst I was there they also kindly swapped my winter and summer wheels over and replaced a faulty "moo" valve - Excellent service, I shall return, thanks Alex :clap

Alex - it took me 4 hours to get home :sad

Andy

4 hours is not good. Look forward to hearing your thoughts once you have driven it for a while.

cheers

smgcowfold said:
4 hours is not good. Look forward to hearing your thoughts once you have driven it for a while.

cheers

I consider 4 hours "a while" :bananadance

The ride is definitely stiffer and the Cali doesn't roll so much on corners etc. The annoying rattle I had above and right to the drivers seat seems to have improved :D All in all, well worth doing. Now I've had experienced it, I think I would have had it done even if I didn't need in order to get it in my new garage.

Thanks again for your help :thanks

Andy

that's interesting to hear .. so do the lowered springs stop that sort of campervan pitching and rolling sensation (not too bad in the cali, but would be lovely to improve it)
Does ground clearance become an issue?
thanks

johnv said:
that's interesting to hear .. so do the lowered springs stop that sort of campervan pitching and rolling sensation (not too bad in the cali, but would be lovely to improve it)
Does ground clearance become an issue?
thanks

The pitching/rolling sensation certainly improves. I haven't had need to worry about ground clearance yet , though, the rear mud flaps have always just scrapped the curb if I reverse park.

Andy.

Interesting .. any downsides? Can you see the reduced clearance ever being an issue?
thanks

johnv said:
Interesting .. any downsides? Can you see the reduced clearance ever being an issue?
thanks

Can't see any major problems - yet. Having said that, it's a little more tricky standing on the tyres to get to the roof etc as my foot now touches the wheel arch :crazy

Hi All,
I've noticed you mentioned the VB Air Suspension system earlier in this thread. Obviously the air suspension is considerably more pricey than the lowered springs, but will resolve any issues with parking, improved ride, ability to increase the ride height when off road and the Auto Level function. (Also you would still be able to slide your foot between tyre and wheelarch when loading the roof box).
I was a little concerned that you said that your insurance company wouldn't consider air suspension. Just to clarify, the VB system is factory approved by VW so there would be no warranty or insurance issues. You would be supplied with a type approval certificate should your insurance company need it.
Let me know if you want any more information.
Regards
Ryan