Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hole in bellows window / fly netting

AlexB

AlexB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi!

Has anyone had any problems with the fly nets / windows in the bellows of their Cali?

We bought a T6 Ocean in May last year from a dealer here in Catalonia and spec'd the optional third (front) bellows window. To our (pleasant) surprise, the van was delivered not only with the third window, but also with a zip enabling the entire front of the bellows to be opened:

cali_roof_open_cropped.jpg

The first time I unzipped the front of the bellows (with the roof fully opened), I found it difficult to close again as the bellows canvas was pulled tight. A few days later I noticed that a small hole (four vertical "bars" across) had appeared in the front window where the netting had torn, presumably due to my having pulled the zip closed too forcibly.

I have found some solutions for repairing mosquito netting, including sewing with nylon thread, clear nail varnish etc., but I'm not sure that these are viable for a netting that is routinely stretched and folded.

Does anyone know of a better solution?

Alex

Go back to VW and claim under warranty, it’s covered for three years from the date of purchase

Go back to VW and claim under warranty, it’s covered for three years from the date of purchase
Is there a 3 warranty in all countries? Yes or no - I would try the dealer 1st and if no joy speak to VW

Thanks @Perfectos and @Meoncoast. I believe that our warranty period is 2 years as opposed to 3, but either way we are still well within warranty as our van is just over a year old.

I will take the issue up with our dealer in the first instance (I need to speak to them about a broken camping chair too ... :rolleyes:).

Is there a 3 warranty in all countries? Yes or no - I would try the dealer 1st and if no joy speak to VW
The Standard warranty from VW is 2 years. In the UK an additional 1 year is provided via the Dealerships by agreement with VW UK. That's why if you have a warranty problem in year 3, whilst abroad you have to pay and reclaim from VW UK.

You might have a job proving it wasn't user error

Thanks @WelshGas, good to know.

Just to be clear, our van is a Spanish-registered van purchased in Spain, so reclaim from VW UK will not apply.

Thanks @WelshGas, good to know.

Just to be clear, our van is a Spanish-registered van purchased in Spain, so reclaim from VW UK will not apply.
I'm afraid not, only applies to UK vehicles bought and first registered in UK.

You might have a job proving it wasn't user error
The thought has crossed my mind :(. This is why I wondered whether anyone else had experienced the same issue with the fully-openable bellows. Is this a common problem?

One thing which may count in my favour is that fact that we didn't actually spec the fully-openable bellows, only the third (front) bellows window. But I'm clutching at straws ...

Last edited:
It broke on first use?
what were the instructions at hand over ?

We’re you shown what not to do ?

It broke on first use?
what were the instructions at hand over ?

We’re you shown what not to do ?
Yep, it broke on first use. I noticed the tear in the netting a couple of days after, and we haven't opened the front of the bellows since (afraid to make the tear worse). In fact we now take extra care when raising the roof. We went through a period of a few trips when we would deliberately stop the roof before it had opened fully, just to ensure that the front of the bellows wasn't stretched too tight.

Instructions at handover? Que??

Yep, it broke on first use. I noticed the tear in the netting a couple of days after, and we haven't opened the front of the bellows since (afraid to make the tear worse). In fact we now take extra care when raising the roof. We went through a period of a few trips when we would deliberately stop the roof before it had opened fully, just to ensure that the front of the bellows wasn't stretched too tight.

Instructions at handover? Que??
You should have been shown how to use all the equipment “fully” at hand over

If the dealer failed to show you, how are you meant to know ?

Back