Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Three windows or two in the roof bellows?

Hannick

Hannick

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We have just bought a facelift 2010 California SE and it comes with two side windows in the bellows and no front window.

We visited a dealer and saw the California's there had three windows.

Is there any logic as to whether you get three windows in the bellows or two?

We have got used to having three in our current camper and whilst the new van is practically perfect in every way the lack of a front window up top will always niggle.

Out of curiosity I rang the main dealer today to be told a replacement three window bellows would cost £476.78 plus fitting. Oh - and they told me they wouldn't want to fit it as it was a non-standard part for our van.

I think the first face- lift models had no front window ,due to using up all the stock of 2 windows bellows first unless it was looked at later than 2010 to put a window in the front for the 2011 onwards cali's ...
( I'll be corrected if I'm wrong ) lol :)

Ps .. If you are coming to the cotf meet and want some wind deflecta's then pre-order on the thread for a good price ;-)

The previous owner had to have a replacement roof on our 2008 pre-facelift, and it was installed with a three-window bellows. Doesn't seem to be an issue so I'd question your dealer's reluctance

I have a facelift 2 window roof I'm not to bothered but I do agree with chris&penny
It would be the same part only newer. My concern would be the labour charge as its a fairly
Lengthy process

"Choplee" is spot on......the very first 2010 facelift models had the two side windows only to use up their existing stock!

i had a 2007 pre facelift 2 windows

now have 2008 with 3 windows dont know why !

Early facelift models did have two windows but I don't think it was to use up stock, in other markets having a the extra window is an option, most likely VW decided to make it standard after a the first year or so.

The Beach only has two!

James

James said:
Early facelift models did have two windows but I don't think it was to use up stock, in other markets having a the extra window is an option, most likely VW decided to make it standard after a the first year or so.

The Beach only has two!

James

you better look into it james and see which answer is correct ... :smile

choplee said:
James said:

The Beach only has two!

James

you better look into it james and see which answer is correct ... :smile

It's an option

for example

Ventilation in the front pop-up window
additional ventilation windows in the front bellows
including mosquito repellent
Close EUR 88.44

The UK Calis have a mix of the all the option packages on LHD Cali's. In terms of equipment they probably sit in a middle ground, that is you can have a more basic Cali in Europe but you can personalise it more.

Maybe VW did run out of stock and decide to fit three window bellows but probably it's something they just decided to fit as standard.

It's a relatively cheap thing to add and visually it's noticeable and particularly for the UK it sets it apart from the Beach.

James

Many thanks for all the replies. I'll keep an eye out for a three window bellows and try to find a reasonably cheap way of swapping it over. Do you think it's a job for an amateur?

Then I'll have a two window one for sale!

Would you like me to give you a fitted price for the bellows?

Cheers

Thanks Alex. I will have a ponder and will be in touch in due course.

Regards

Nick

James - is this why German models have only 2? (the UK SE is specc'd up as a package of options). Their exhibition Calis only have 2 windows...

David Eccles said:
James - is this why German models have only 2? (the UK SE is specc'd up as a package of options). Their exhibition Calis only have 2 windows...

Hi David

That's a bit complicated - UK Cali's are well specced and if you are comparing them to a German Cali for example they probably sit in the middle of the range of options.

The options packages for LHD California's make a bit more sense and because there are more of them are grouped better for example the light and sight package as opposed to vis pack a and b.

All German Cali's come with the 2 windows and the third, as above, is an option. i guess, when the Cali comes to the UK they pick a broad range of options that the UK buyer will expect on a circa 40k vehicle. UK Buyers as you know do have a ver different taste, so things like alloys become standard.

Looking forward to catching up at cotf

James

Back