High Top?

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello everyone.

Has anyone here gone for the high top addition, ie. remove the pop top and add the fixed, rigid high top?

If yes, was it worth it?
Does it devalue your vehicle?
I like the idea of being able to stand all the time and not having to drop the roof when it is very windy. And there would be extra storage, I guess.

Thank you one and all.

Hello everyone.

Has anyone here gone for the high top addition, ie. remove the pop top and add the fixed, rigid high top?

If yes, was it worth it?
I like the idea of being able to stand all the time and not having to drop the roof when it is very windy. And there would be extra storage, I guess.

Thank you one and all.
There have been recent posts on this topic. …..

Hello everyone.

If yes, was it worth it?

Thank you one and all.
You still toying with a hightop van then?
I would go down the route of a club joker, there’s new one for sale a wandahome in stock or keep your eyes peeled for mine if new one ever turns up.

Last edited:
I believe that Autohaus (Acare Leisure) in Minehead Somerset will do this for you.

Hello everyone.

If yes, was it worth it?

Thank you one and all.
For reference, the deal-breaker was the loss of an upstairs bed.

Hello everyone.

If yes, was it worth it?

Thank you one and all.
It’s something we’ve always wondered if it was possible to do, also for the ability to stand without having to raise the roof, we don’t need the upstairs bed either. Will follow this with interest.

Read this thread with a link to the Polyroof.de one that VW once offered

We’ve just ordered a Wildax Pulsar high top (sorry it’s not a VW don’t shoot me!) it’s only 2 berth but has a full washroom and large kitchen in a 5m van. The ability to walk through the van is a game changer for us (and our backs!) and the amount of storage in the eye level cupboards is amazing.
With the Cali you are probably affecting your market and value for ongoing resales but if that’s not the concern I’d say go for it!

We’ve just ordered a Wildax Pulsar high top (sorry it’s not a VW don’t shoot me!) it’s only 2 berth but has a full washroom and large kitchen in a 5m van. The ability to walk through the van is a game changer for us (and our backs!) and the amount of storage in the eye level cupboards is amazing.
With the Cali you are probably affecting your market and value for ongoing resales but if that’s not the concern I’d say go for it!
This is our LWB t6 Autohaus Highlife Camelot high top looking backwards from the driver's seat. Plenty of space to walk through. IMG_20210811_100816_333.jpgIMG_20200815_163707903.jpgThe tall cupboard houses the fridge, behind that is the plumbed in toilet and on the right is the sink, hob and oven. The gas is underslung to make more space. The eye level storage is enormous. Hot water heater is underneath the right hand seat, shower (hot and cold) point is at the back - shower in a pop up tent. Heating is LPG or electric on hook up. The two seats fold down to make the bed. I have shown these before but this saves those interested looking.IMG_20210515_102119_891_hdr.jpg

I like the layout with the “lounge” area at the front, so you can sit/eat with a view out through the open side door.

There have been recent posts on this topic. …..
Thank you

This is our LWB t6 Autohaus Highlife Camelot high top looking backwards from the driver's seat. Plenty of space to walk through. View attachment 88050View attachment 88049The tall cupboard houses the fridge, behind that is the plumbed in toilet and on the right is the sink, hob and oven. The gas is underslung to make more space. The eye level storage is enormous. Hot water heater is underneath the right hand seat, shower (hot and cold) point is at the back - shower in a pop up tent. Heating is LPG or electric on hook up. The two seats fold down to make the bed. I have shown these before but this saves those interested looking.View attachment 88051
Thank you - nice van

You still toying with a hightop van then?
I would go down the route of a club joker, there’s new one for sale a wandahome in stock or keep your eyes peeled for mine if new one ever turns up.
Hello
Yes, always toying. I would have to sell my house to afford a new one. Yours might be just the right option. We have noticed a lot more height barriers these days though.

Hightop conversions are mainly aimed at van conversions but----
could be a solution to a badly corroded roof Cali

I like the layout with the “lounge” area at the front, so you can sit/eat with a view out through the open side door.
Thanks. We’ve had 2 californias (beach then ocean) and a larger 6m hymer and hoping that this will be the best combination of all of them - we prefer the smaller vans but really wanted to keep some of the comforts of the larger Hymer - and a proper washroom in these ongoing strange times.

Hello
Yes, always toying. I would have to sell my house to afford a new one. Yours might be just the right option. We have noticed a lot more height barriers these days though.
Mainly on the coastal carparks, I’ve noticed they are dropping the height even lower to stop you cali owners in places now.
I’ll give you shout when I get that delivery date, still have your number.

Back