Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

High mileage Calis

Jeeves

Jeeves

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Just clocked up 30k on our California and into fourth year of ownership without any real issues.
One puncture, a phantom waning light in the middle of nowhere which went as fast as it came on and an "encounter" with our tailgate and a german caravanned on a site in Croatia.
We have just got back from a months adventure in Devon/Dorset and saw plenty of examples of older models in fantastic condition-Just wondered how many on here have kept their californias for years and what mileage they have clocked ?

Last edited:
Had 60k on my 2012 Beach and had almost zero issues in the 6 years of ownership.
Currently at about 35k in 3 years on my current Ocean. So far so good…

Just clocked up 30k on our California and into fourth year of ownership without any real issues-We have just got back from a months adventure in Devon/Dorset and saw plenty of examples of older models in fantastic condition-Just wondered how many on here have kept their californias for years and what mileage they have clocked ?
100,390 miles in 6 yrs 9 months.. EGR changed at 2 weeks due to electrical fault. Nil else.

Just over 6 years old. 23k miles. Work under warranty, 2 new leisure batteries. 2 new rear tailgate struts. Corrosion on roof. Failed ABS brake sensor. New Awning as the first the material fell apart. Both bumpers the lacquer top coat peeled off. Both the awning (goodwill payment) and paint I had to pay for.
So on the whole pretty trouble free for a California..

Now, that is what is meant by using the Cali 'properly' :thumb
Thats just normal isn't it? our first cali was 20k a year for first 2 years & then averaged 8k a year in the next 4 as I bought a car to keep the miles on it down a bit & we had lockdown.
Current one is on about 9k since February & will do another 1500 next week, then I've got Manchester uni runs to look forward to, not bad as I've been mostly working from home & have another couple of cars to use.

Thats just normal isn't it? our first cali was 20k a year for first 2 years & then averaged 8k a year in the next 4 as I bought a car to keep the miles on it down a bit & we had lockdown.
Current one is on about 9k since February & will do another 1500 next week, then I've got Manchester uni runs to look forward to, not bad as I've been mostly working from home & have another couple of cars to use.
Yes, that should be the normal, but you do have Cali's that do 2000 mls a year. Stay standing for most/rest of the year.

If you have a Cali - use it.

We are averaging about 10K a year and that is with lockdown and work from home. A trip to Portugal last year ... and now a planned trip to Norway this year (fingers crossed!) should help keep the van in proper form :thumb

Just clocked up 30k on our California and into fourth year of ownership without any real issues.
One puncture, a phantom waning light in the middle of nowhere which went as fast as it came on and an "encounter" with our tailgate and a german caravanned on a site in Croatia.
We have just got back from a months adventure in Devon/Dorset and saw plenty of examples of older models in fantastic condition-Just wondered how many on here have kept their californias for years and what mileage they have clocked ?
My current 2012 California, just over 60,000 miles, had it for four years (we have done about 33,000 miles) - had problems with the all wheel drive, ie it didn't work when we needed it. All fixed now, oh and we lost the plug for the sink. Recent MOT no advisories, DSG and runs beautifully.

Just clocked 10,000 miles after 9 months of ownership from factory ordered Coast!

No issues, not even spoken to a garage about it.
That's the way to do it.

Ours is 11 years young next month. We’ve had it since new and it’s done 76k so low mileage. Replaced the original brakes and pads last year. Still on original exhaust. Really until this year we’ve had so little go wrong with it.

We are getting a few problems now - replaced passenger side door mirror motor for c £400(!), roof canvas has a few wear related holes, sorted with Tear Aid, control panel being weird with battery level - but hey, I guess it’s fair enough at 11 years old and we have budgeted to expect higher maintenance costs as the van ages.
We plan on keeping it until I can’t get upstairs :)

Just clicking over 60k in our late 2016 t6..it would be pushing 75k without COVID.

Last edited:
Bought mine relatively recently and it’s averaged 1,250 miles for the last 4 years. I do like a garage queen - one of my motorbikes has averaged 400 miles a year over 10 years - last year I did 65 on it. My misses says I’ve got too many toys…

Just turned 100,000 in my 2014 Cali, still runs great uses almost no oil between services, looking forward to the next 100,000
If you maintain a modern vehicle it should last a very long time. My son has a lexus LS400 about 20 years old and it runs beautifully and has covered 250,000 miles.

If you maintain a modern vehicle it should last a very long time. My son has a lexus LS400 about 20 years old and it runs beautifully and has covered 250,000 miles.
Agreed, I had an old Peugeot 305 that had over 250,000 miles on the clock when I got rid of it, it still ran perfectly.

2008 Cali - just under 90,000 miles. Usual brake and tyre replacements, but still the original exhaust. EGR replacement after about 5 years, but nothing else serious. Original leisure batteries replaced after 9 years. Brilliant vehicle. Roof is fine, and there are only a couple of tiny rust/dent spots on the bodywork where someone parked next to the van has chipped the paint. Anybody want it?

Had my ocean from new and now four years old 50000 miles and my little turbo impeller sheered itself off two weeks ago, just been repaired as you can imagine not cheap, luckily I have a friend who is a VW commercial mechanic,
BTW no engine mods completely standard.
A tad bit annoyed but hey I must just be unlucky.

We’ve had our 2018 T6 Ocean 214 4motion since new, current mileage just over 63’000.

EGR replaced under warranty, quite a few tyres, 1 windscreen and just got another stone chip on the way home from Suffolk yesterday , usual service items, otherwise no problems.

Same sort of reliability with our previous 2015 T5 Ocean which we also had from new and did a similar 20K per annum.

2013 T5.1SE from new - Just topped 70,000 miles
Mostly a couple of 2 month touring trips around Europe (2.5k to 3.5k miles average) plus a few weeks in Scotland/Ireland every year (apart from Covid times).
Only major problem has been roof corrosion warranty repair and a few recalls such as tailgate brake light lens, roof tape, etc. and some minor warranty issues such as roof canvas and broken table leg mechanism.
Cosmetically, have peeling lacquer on front bumper panel and a small dent on front wing where white van in Czechia dunted me and drove off. Small repairs I need to address in due course.
I actually feel at 70k in terms of fuel consumption and driving performance, this is the best it’s been.
Had considered a new T6 a wee while ago but then Covid happened, so will see what happens.

Back