Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi from Wiltshire, UK

Justinitus1972

Justinitus1972

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hi All
I’ve already posted a question on the forums and have been reading the forum for weeks, so I thought it’s about time to say hi.

Myself and my wife love camping, it’s just the two of us and sometimes Biscuit the cat comes along for a night. We currently run a car plus a Mink Sports camper. An unusual thing, basically a top of the range teardrop, in distinctive daffodil yellow and grey. We love it, it’s superbly comfortable, fantastically warm in winter and the rest of the time it lives in our garage. So easy to tow and it has a panoramic roof which we love. But it’s time to part ways as we've always wanted a camper…

We looked at a fair number of VW conversions, we particularly liked one of the Camper King models, the Monte Carlo. But our hearts lie with the Cali and our feeling is if we are going to do it, just get the one we want. We are in the process of deciding final specs with a view to ordering. Probably an Ocean, possibly a Surf.

Our current setup:
IMG_2659.jpegIMG_0881.jpeg

Hi All
I’ve already posted a question on the forums and have been reading the forum for weeks, so I thought it’s about time to say hi.

Myself and my wife love camping, it’s just the two of us and sometimes Biscuit the cat comes along for a night. We currently run a car plus a Mink Sports camper. An unusual thing, basically a top of the range teardrop, in distinctive daffodil yellow and grey. We love it, it’s superbly comfortable, fantastically warm in winter and the rest of the time it lives in our garage. So easy to tow and it has a panoramic roof which we love. But it’s time to part ways as we've always wanted a camper…

We looked at a fair number of VW conversions, we particularly liked one of the Camper King models, the Monte Carlo. But our hearts lie with the Cali and our feeling is if we are going to do it, just get the one we want. We are in the process of deciding final specs with a view to ordering. Probably an Ocean, possibly a Surf.

Our current setup:
View attachment 107051View attachment 107052
Interesting trailer. It looks like you are used to cooking outside so you may wish to consider if you need a van with lots of facilites. Maybe I am biased as I find the Beach has all I need. Having the chairs, table and awning as standard are great but I can manage with out the fitted furniture. You are doing the right thing by looking here at others uses of their van to give you an idea of what you want. I have a caravan as well but for short trips the van is easier and if I was honest I am not that good at positioning the caravan on a pitch.

Interesting trailer. It looks like you are used to cooking outside so you may wish to consider if you need a van with lots of facilites. Maybe I am biased as I find the Beach has all I need. Having the chairs, table and awning as standard are great but I can manage with out the fitted furniture. You are doing the right thing by looking here at others uses of their van to give you an idea of what you want. I have a caravan as well but for short trips the van is easier and if I was honest I am not that good at positioning the caravan on a pitch.
Thanks Barbara, it’s a great trailer and it does garner quite a bit of attention! We’ve looked at many options and decided we want the full camper. There’s only 2 of us (plus the cat!) so we don’t ever need more than 4 seats. We will cook outside mostly but we also enjoy winter camping and want the indoor kitchenette for that. Cold weather is fine with the Mink, it’s more the cold driving rain! Our previous teardrop, a Penpod, had a wind out canopy and we miss that on the Mink.

Couldn’t agree more. Took my kitchen outside this weekend for cooking an Easter roast although the wind picked up as I was resting the lamb shoulder and finishing off the roast spuds so I decided to eat at the table in the van in the end. The beach makes these kind of choices possible.

E9BAA5BA-12A3-4A22-B930-AC97C4CC71E3.jpeg

1FF98F72-AB88-47EF-A1B0-FA0E19821DDC.jpeg

We test drove a demo Ocean 150 down at Breeze in Poole today, we had it most of the morning to use as we pleased. The Cali was more than we’d hoped for.

Back at Breeze, Tom and Jamie were really helpful and accommodating. Ordered an Ocean 150 in Indium with a few options.

Wife excited, me even more so!