Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi everyone newbies here

Thanks Hawthorn37.
I am very much hoping that Liverpool van centre will ultimately come good particularly if volkswagen customer service can assist. It is just a shame that they are unable to provide a like for like swap and I’m afraid I am not in a position to “upgrade”. All a bit disappointing to say the least, and not at all what I had anticipated. Trying to stay positive.

Well after 6/52 worry, anxiety we finally have our new california parked outside the house with (crossing fingers and touching wood ) the problem solved. Thanks to hawco VW for their detective work.
It turns out there was a fault in the assembly in that the egr pipe was fitted with a plug left in-situ. Whilst this did not have a noticeable effect on the vehicle running it obviously triggered the emissions light. So hopefully all is now well, although one is left with the nagging worry that it may have left the factory with other as yet undiscovered faults……time will tell.
Whilst not wishing to be too grasping I feel that some compensation is in order here given the lack of use of our new van for 6/52, no alternative provided and the worry that ensued over the festive period.
Any thoughts as to what would be reasonable? Have already bought extended warranty and have 2 services provided (which I gather is free to those paying by credit in any case).
Hoping our ownership experience will now improve and we can at long last plan our first trips and start purchasing these accessories…..I think a corkscrew will be high up on the list!!
Andy

Well after 6/52 worry, anxiety we finally have our new california parked outside the house with (crossing fingers and touching wood ) the problem solved. Thanks to hawco VW for their detective work.
It turns out there was a fault in the assembly in that the egr pipe was fitted with a plug left in-situ. Whilst this did not have a noticeable effect on the vehicle running it obviously triggered the emissions light. So hopefully all is now well, although one is left with the nagging worry that it may have left the factory with other as yet undiscovered faults……time will tell.
Whilst not wishing to be too grasping I feel that some compensation is in order here given the lack of use of our new van for 6/52, no alternative provided and the worry that ensued over the festive period.
Any thoughts as to what would be reasonable? Have already bought extended warranty and have 2 services provided (which I gather is free to those paying by credit in any case).
Hoping our ownership experience will now improve and we can at long last plan our first trips and start purchasing these accessories…..I think a corkscrew will be high up on the list!!
Andy
That’s great news and hope the rest of your troubles amount to no more than shearing off the left hand kitchen door catch ( you are bound to do it )
Regards compensation, of course you are due it, whether you will get it is a different matter.
Ours was out of action for six weeks and we were offered £100 “goodwill gesture” which we refused as being derisory.
Your case is worse in that the van was brand new and you have had no use out of whatsoever. I hope VW will do right by you but don’t count on it.

Andy
If they’re reluctant to give cash as compensation, how about giving them a list of VW after market accessories (rubber mats, seat covers, roof bars etc) to choose from ?

Thanks for suggestions.
May approach customer care as well as supplying dealer, although contact with the former has thus far been underwhelming. Let’s see if they can live up to their title

If they’re reluctant to give cash as compensation, how about giving them a list of VW after market accessories (rubber mats, seat covers, roof bars etc) to choose from ?
Yes the £100 we were offered was in the form of accessories of our choice.

I’ve recently moved from Southport in Merseyside to Dumfries and Galloway with my 2016 Cali Ocean (50k miles). On a couple of trips between those places during the move my engine management light came on and I suffered a loss of power. The next day (on both occasions) the warning light had changed to become the emissions light. I took advice from the owners manual and drove for about 60km in low gear and as promised by the manual the problem resolved itself.

Reflecting on the matter some time later (everything has been fine since) I realised that on each occasion I had driven through a sudden drop in temperature (during the cold snap I seem to remember the temperature gauge suddenly fell to minus six and minus seven respectively!).

I wondered if the sudden drop had messed with the normal running temp of the cat converter causing the engine management system to issue a warning.

As I said - all has been well since.

Hi All….thanks for the add. We (wife and two kids) are looking to buy in the coming months and can’t wait to get on the road with the rest of you lovely people. We had a small boat for 12 years up until recently and even described it as a camper van that floats. Fingers crossed that we make the transition. I’ll post another query re purchasing advice in the appropriate thread. Thanks in advance.

Hi @Peadarcollins - check & change your location - I'm sure it's your password & it's visible to us all.

Glad to hear that your finally on the road. Seeking compensation may cause you more anguish than it's worth, especially if it's through VW Customer Services. Time and the great summer experiences to come, will wash away the rocky start.
We had reason to use the VW Van Centre in Aberdeen for a failed roof control panel while on holiday. They fitted us straight in, non of this "we can't fit you in for x number of days". So as they your local van centre, hopefully if you need assistance they will prove OK.

Hi SusiBus.
Time is indeed a healer and we are getting on with planning our adventures and kitting out the van.
Certainly do not wish any additional anguish but dont think a goodwill gesture unreasonable here.
Not going to lose any further sleep over it either way.
Andy

Hopefully final update about this episode.
Thanks to goodwill gestures from VW van centre Liverpool and VW customer care we have furnished our van with seat covers, brandrup carpets, wind deflectors and a few other bits and bobs.
Struggling with the deflectors which are the VW ones with clips, which keep triggering window sensor when closing. Does this eventually stop or are there tricks to the clip positioning- I followed placement instructions.
The only other issue is smell of gas when opening gas storage compartment despite everything turned off and all connections seem ok.
Embarrassingly still haven‘t spent a night away yet- weather not conducive. Hopefully next week-hasn’t stopped us planning several trips later in the year- can’t wait.
Andy