Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi everyone newbies here

A

#####AML#####

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
So we have just acquired a new california- a 4 motion dsg from Liverpool van centre.
Unfortunately the emissions lamp came on, necessitating a 2 hour interlude at Preston van centre on the way home. Despite their best efforts which initially cleared the alert it recurred the following day and the van is now booked in to our local centre up in Inverness. Not really the best of starts- hoping things will improve!!
Otherwise all has so far been OK and looking forward to many adventures.
Will no doubt be pestering everyone looking for advice and must have accessories- this is our first foray into the campervan world and we have jumped in with both feet!
Andy+Morag

Welcome to the club,
Unfortunate start to your cali ownership, enjoy your new van.

Congrats on your purchase, commiserations on the first drive experience. Wow! That’s some long distance purchase you did, but to be honest we’re distant from Liverpool too, but we bought there as they offered the best deal, and probably are the most Cali knowledgable dealership in the North. Hope you get the problem sorted.

When you settle after your trip, are we going to get some nice pics of your shiny new thing? ! !

Congrats on your purchase, commiserations on the first drive experience. Wow! That’s some long distance purchase you did, but to be honest we’re distant from Liverpool too, but we bought there as they offered the best deal, and probably are the most Cali knowledgable dealership in the North. Hope you get the problem sorted.

When you settle after your trip, are we going to get some nice pics of your shiny new thing? ! !
Thanks- it’s been a slightly rocky start. Hoping issue will be resolved at local dealer, can’t get a slot till
19/12 though
Photos to come when we find a picturesque backdrop- casa Macleod doesn’t really cut it

Thanks- it’s been a slightly rocky start. Hoping issue will be resolved at local dealer, can’t get a slot till
19/12 though
Photos to come when we find a picturesque backdrop- casa Macleod doesn’t really cut it

Hi both, I’m a noob too, very recently upgraded from a converted T5 to a T5.1 cali for all of the comfort and safety features - could not be happier. I hope you have better luck very soon and are also as happy with your purchase.

I was interested reading your post as whilst I bought mine from Lincoln it was originally registered and spent most of its life in Inverness, purchased from Howco Van Centre! Not sure if that place still exists but it is on my number plate still.

Thanks to everyone for the info on the forum, hugely valuable as a new Cali owner.

All the best guys, Chris

Hi both, I’m a noob too, very recently upgraded from a converted T5 to a T5.1 cali for all of the comfort and safety features - could not be happier. I hope you have better luck very soon and are also as happy with your purchase.

I was interested reading your post as whilst I bought mine from Lincoln it was originally registered and spent most of its life in Inverness, purchased from Howco Van Centre! Not sure if that place still exists but it is on my number plate still.

Thanks to everyone for the info on the forum, hugely valuable as a new Cali owner.

All the best guys, Chris
Hi Chris,
The hawco van centre in Inverness still exists and we will be visiting it soon. Fingers crossed all will be well. Hope you enjoy your cali.
All the best

Andy

19/12 though
Worth remembering go via VW assist and they will fast tract a slot into dealership.

Worth remembering go via VW assist and they will fast tract a slot into dealership.
Hoping this isn‘t something that is going to happen too frequently:)
But thanks for the tip.
Andy

A wee update- we eventually got our van booked in to local centre and…………72 hours later after several phone calls we eventually get a reply saying “we are waiting for advice from VW technical- which is what I got told on close of play the first day!” This has rather taken the sheen off what has been a very expensive purchase (for us) and I’m left wondering if I should have held on to my mid-life crisis car instead- no problems with it over 11 years of ownership let alone 50 miles as per brand new California. Please reassure me that I haven’t made a dreadful mistake.

No personal experience here but I notice that the law around rejecting a vehicle changes after 30 days. So make a note of the cut off date and decide with that in mind.

Thanks- obviously hoping it wont come to this. All a bit uncertain at the moment.

Seasons greetings one and all.
A further update and a query.
After considerable to and fro between VW Technical and my local van centre with no resolution the latter were advised to try an egr flush. This they attempted on 23/12 only to find they did not have the required tools which they would have to order.
The van centre needless to say closed that afternoon and does not re-open till 3/1/23 with my van stuck there.
I am not sure when the egr flush will be done, or if it will work in curing this as yet undiagnosed fault.
My concern is that this will take me beyond the 30 days suggested by poster above if I wish to reject the van (which I dont having gone to trouble of collecting and fitting tracker) but am also worried that whatever this fault is there may be longterm consequences.
Caught in a dilemma here and looking for words of wisdom.
Have any others had problems such as these with their 204 4motions?
Should I wait and see if this flush or some other process results in a cure?
Should I cut my losses and reject?
Didn’t think owning a California would be this problematic.

Andy

One factor to consider is you can't reorder a 4 mo at the moment.

However this time of the year you might be able to pick up a new van from a dealer at a decent price.

At this stage the likelyhood of a good and quick resolution comes down mostly to the quality of your service center. What sort of feeling are they giving you?

Have to say I was concerned that they didnt have tools for an egr flush, and the length of time this is taking. So I am going to have to reserve judgement.
Also surprised that suppling centre (Liverpool) havent made contact with my local centre since I have appraised them of the situation.
Given where I live the next centre is over 100 miles away so my options are limited.

Perhaps a discussion with Volkswagen explaining that you would like to give them a chance to resolve the issue but don't want to compromise your consumer rights might result in a concession from VW? Might be a long shot but I'm sure any reasonable person can see the problem.

You have a brand new van that's only really been used on the highway. An egr flush is just going to kick the can down the road. Sounds like a new egr cooler and valve could well be needed.

Thanks yossarian.
Have already contacted VW customer services (commercial) and have a complaint reference no. I figured that if I contacted them whilst this was ongoing before my 30 day period ran out they would accept there were mitigating circumstances.
Maybe if they do replace egr pipe and valve with shiny new parts there may not be an issue going forwards?
Interesting times- hoping their customer service is ultimately good.

If you’ve gone through VW CustomerCare, they are now your point of contact and will liaise with the service centre. My CustomerCare rep, Rhiannon, was very good, never failed to phone me back with updates, kept leaning on the Service Centre, etc, but at the end of the day she had to toe the VW line.
For example my van was in at Marshall’s Lincoln for a lengthy roof repair. Marshall’s Scunthorpe had a Cali for sale, much lower spec and older than mine. I thought it would be a sensible solution if I could have the use of that van while mine was being fixed, at VW’s expense of course ( it was high summer, my wife had time booked off work and we wanted to go away ) Rhiannon had to tell me that VW “don’t do like for like courtesy vehicles”
I do feel for you, been there, and it’s fraught. Hope it turns out well.

You can't now order a new replacement 4Motion, so unless you're having second thoughts that a California is for you, that options off the table.
Requiring an ERG flush when it's new, doesn't sound right to me.
I very much doubt that anything serious is wrong with your Cali, it will be OK.
The problem you have got, that we all suffer from, is inept dealers that can't diagnose faults correctly.
The 204 4Motion is a great vehicle, stick with it, you'll soon forget this unfortunate start. Things like this unfortunately seem to happen quite regularly. Your baby will get over this bumpy start and you'll love it.

SusiBus thankyou………..I really hope so. Although the “quite regularly” isn’t terribly reassuring- glad I got a 5 year warranty - although wasn’t expecting to call upon it quite so soon. All part of the adventure I guess.

So, unsurprisingly egr flush didn’t work and local van centre now awaiting yet more instructions from VW technical. Meantime selling centre say they have no alternatives were I to reject van, unless I were to spend considerably more to upgrade to a higher specification one they have on order. So far VW customer services have not assisted me in any way. So having purchased on 2/12/22 I have still had no use of this brand new van which still has an undiagnosed fault.
Really not sure where to go from here

Just catching up on your present situation. I am very surprised that Liverpool Van Centre has not been more supportive. Given their experience I’d have thought they would be able to identify the problem quickly. I’d consider getting in contact with the Swansway regional sales manager, ‘California’ Chris to see if more pressure can be exerted onto VW. Andy Warren at Liverpool will have his contact details.