Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hi all new Cali camper on board

Carryoncamper

Carryoncamper

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all new Cali camper on board I just joined today.
I hired my first Cali a year ago for a long weekend last year with my girlfriend and went around the Norfolk area and we enjoyed it. Then a couple of weeks ago hired another one for 4 nights and we went around the Isle of Wight and also enjoyed that.
I have been thinking of getting a camper for about 3 years. I was going to get a conversion done to a VW Transporter as I have owned 2 over the last few years, but after trying out a Cali and looked into getting a conversion I thought the Cali won after trying one out I did not think a conversion would come close to the Cali.
I have been on here but not registered as a member but just looking at vans for sale to get a idea of the general spec and prices over the last year.
I will hopefully be getting it in the next couple of days but the weather forecast looks bad up north the next couple of days so may have to delay getting it ? I cant wait to get it but do not want to travel 250 miles and end up starting off on the wrong foot.
It is a 2015 it still has 3 months VW warranty left on it. Can anyone advise me please on what to look out for or what I should do check list or what ever you can advise me to do would be great.
Thanks in advance.

With VIP membership there is a full checklist in the downloads section... :welcome

Thanks I hope to be getting over to Ireland at some point for some more fishing and Guinness

If not already purchased I'd get the owner to have it MOT'd. Good way for you to have a body/mechanical inspection.
Alternatively get a pre end of warranty check done before the 3 months runs out.

If not already purchased I'd get the owner to have it MOT'd. Good way for you to have a body/mechanical inspection.
Alternatively get a pre end of warranty check done before the 3 months runs out.

Makes sense that is what I thought. And to get one within warranty term, but as usual spending more than I set out to do in the first place.

Ahhh , as a new owner I've quickly realised that owning a Cali and your sentence go hand in hand ! :)

For sure I can not believe that I am even considering it and not 100%. that should I be doing it ?
I do think though we are only here once and I am lucky enough to be in the position to do it so why not is what I am telling myself ?
They are crazy money but hold it relativley well.

For sure I can not believe that I am even considering it and not 100%. that should I be doing it ?
I do think though we are only here once and I am lucky enough to be in the position to do it so why not is what I am telling myself ?
When you look at any car, camper or motorhome all the prices are crazy.
a Land Rover new model Discovery (now with the up market Range rover badge) is pretty much on a par with the Cali price wise and when you compare specs and use capabilities the lines blur.

Years ago on a 'how to run your own business' course the question asked was how do you price your product? We being technical thought that build and production costs were the criteria, 'Wrong' we were told it's what the market expects and can pay.

So until VW can't sell any Cali's the price will approach it's ceiling.

Last edited:
When youm look at any car, camper or motorhome all the prices are crazy.
a Land Rover new model Discovery (now with the up market Range rover badge) is pretty much on a par with the Cali price wise and when you compare specs and use capabilities the lines blur.

Years ago on a 'how to run your own business' course the question asked was how do you price your product? We being technical thought that build and production costs were the criteria, 'Wrong' we were told it's what the market expects and can pay.

So until VW can't sell any Cali's the price will approach it's ceiling.
Depreciation is everything, you can pay as much for a 7 series BMW, in 5 years it will be worth less than £10000, the Cali will still command over £35000. The new price rising ever higher will just reinforce this effect.

Hi BJG,

I have not heard of a pre end of warranty check. What does it involve? The warranty on my van ends at the very beginning of March so I would be interested in doing this. I bought my van privately (through this forum obviously!) so I don’t have a relationship with, or receive any information from, a dealer.

I am planning to book an MOT for early in February to give me an extra few weeks in case any problems show up so that the warranty will still be valid.

Any information or advice would be most welcome.

Hi BJG,

I have not heard of a pre end of warranty check. What does it involve? The warranty on my van ends at the very beginning of March so I would be interested in doing this. I bought my van privately (through this forum obviously!) so I don’t have a relationship with, or receive any information from, a dealer.

I am planning to book an MOT for early in February to give me an extra few weeks in case any problems show up so that the warranty will still be valid.

Any information or advice would be most welcome.
Last 2 cars I've had, Land Rover & BMW, the Dealers have both said that they will do this to check for any repairs required that are covered by the warranty. Service and MOT was also carried out at the same time.

Possibly part of a Customer goodwill programme but it it was at their instigation.

Whether VW with their current poor Customer relations will also do it I don't know.

Hi and welcome. Just do it you know it makes sense.

Hi I am pretty sure that it will happen :agreed
I think it was just the matter of handing over so much money that put me on the back foot that was making me have second thoughts about it :Nailbiting

Welcome! Enjoy your new freedom. These are very special vehicles with magical powers to make everything into a special adventure - I think you may have already realised that ...

Hi and welcome @Carryoncamper. VIP membership and the check list is superb. I guess somewhere else mentioned: check the roof for the roof corrosion issue.
However: start and enjoy!

Before the warranty expires very thoroughly check the control panel selects well and the roof mechanism and bellows are ok and go and stay up evenly. I had issues with both of these things within the first couple of months of buying my two year old van. Also that little things are all present and correct...clips holding the wardrobe shelves, bolts in the folding chairs etc. Ridiculously expensive to buy.
Enjoy your Cali and welcome :welcome

A common experience. Not just for the Cali but for anything that puts you questioning your ££ comfort zone. However the Cali will return you a lot more than many other purchases that test your comfort zone.

Hi BJG, Bill R, J Bell, Foodie Loobie, parrot2, oryx white, Gazzelio, sapto, GillianC, and 2020 freedom,
thank you for all your comments :thumb

Last 2 cars I've had, Land Rover & BMW, the Dealers have both said that they will do this to check for any repairs required that are covered by the warranty. Service and MOT was also carried out at the same time.

Possibly part of a Customer goodwill programme but it it was at their instigation.

Whether VW with their current poor Customer relations will also do it I don't know.
Thanks for your reply. I will make some enquiries about this when I book my MOT.