Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

hi to the cali guys

C

choplee

Guest User
Hi all ....i'm cali-less at the moment ,but have been a vw camper owner for some years now ....i've got a 71 westfalia at the moment ,but looking for a t5 conversion or vw cali as the wife's daily driver with the audi estate going in afew months ......based in kent would love to chat or meet up with someone that has a cali and see if it's a better bet than an after market camper conversion ..
cheers guys

Hi There and welcome to the club, It might be a bit too far but if you are free this weekend there will be quite a few Cali's to look at in Wicksteed Park, you can also have a good chat to all the owners, there will also be a VW dealer on hand to show you round a brand new beach.

morning martin....thanks for the reply and the heads up on the meet at the weekend..if i can i will travel up ,but it is abit of a distance. If i can make it i will let the club know. From the forum it shows the cali does have a good following which i do like. i'm in no rush to buy ,but if something comes along then all the better :D

Hi there,
Welcome to the club and the forum.
I have been researching my options for a while, having looked at a range of possible 'right for me' vehicles.
I have found it really good to read up and research on here, with me getting more adventurouswith my plans as I go.
Luke

Thanks guys for the warm welcome to the club.. :grin:
I do think the best and first thing to do is to grab a cali owner have a cup of tea in the bus and have a little chat about the cali.
Seen the new cali's at vw which i would love if money was that flush,but to be honest the salesman as much as they love them don't seem passionate as they're not the bread and butter sales.
It would be nice to see a picasso green cali ,as i have been sort of offered one coming in.

lee

Hi Lee, we spent ages looking at the conversion route but we are fortunate to be able to follow the advice that pointed us to the Cali. There are some cracking conversions out there but there are also some that are probably a bit of a money pit!
Either way, you'll get plenty help in here. Have you used the T4/T5 forums?
Iain

Lol ... Sorry all I said Picasso green ,but think its fresco green ??

I've been racking through the T's forums and looked at some conversions , but most are hundreds of miles away ....with my 71 bay back on the road this week ( fingers crossed ) means that I'm not desperate to dive in anymore like I was a month ago ...
It will be a daily driver ,so got to be more user freindly if u know what I mean .. Some conversions do look the business , but think will wear quickly .. It's just whether to bit the bullet and pay thousands more on a Cali or get a good conversion ... Which will last longer and keep you smiling longer ..??????
Cheers for input Iain :)
I need to put a shout out to Kent based cali's and see who pop's up
To go and see :)

Lee

HI. I am a Kent based ( near Dover ) Cali owner with a fresco Green one :clap
Drop me a PM with your telephone number and happy to show you around.
Not boasting but we are a two Cali family so you can see my parents and mine at the same time .
Just bring the biscuits and I will supply the tea.

Hi you are right about dealers most of the ones we visited had a basic knowledge of the California's and were not really into the camper scene, the guys we bought ours from (VW Leicester) were the best, I know it is quite a distance from Kent but once you have decided its worth a phone call. Good luck.

I think i'll take you up on that offer chris :thanks

Chris said:
HI. I am a Kent based ( near Dover ) Cali owner with a fresco Green one :clap
Drop me a PM with your telephone number and happy to show you around.
Not boasting but we are a two Cali family so you can see my parents and mine at the same time .
Just bring the biscuits and I will supply the tea.

A bit of a distance yes stewart :-( ......just need to make up my mind if it's going to be a new shape cali or old shape (is the new one much better) :?:

Stewart MCG said:
Hi you are right about dealers most of the ones we visited had a basic knowledge of the California's and were not really into the camper scene, the guys we bought ours from (VW Leicester) were the best, I know it is quite a distance from Kent but once you have decided its worth a phone call. Good luck.

Hi Lee,

I previously had a Fresco Green :mrgreen: 130 manual and currently have a Beige Metallic 140 manual, both great in different ways. The old 5 cylinder job had its own characteristics and if I had never encountered the new engine which is very smooth, I would be happy chugging along with the old. I think quite a few people believe that the old engine was the best that VW made, I couldn`t offer an opinion on that, other than to say, it always `felt` like it could run forever.

Fresco green :mrgreen: , the best colour (IMHO) and depending how much you really want to spend, 30k should get you a nice low mileage bit of kit. If my present one was snatched from under me and I had to revert to the old one, I would not be too distressed at the prospect. You pays your money and you takes your pick. Good luck whichever way you decide.

Bob

Hi Lee,
We got our previous van, a Westie and our new one from Bilbos at Godstone. They do their own conversions and also sell new and used Calies. And they know about campers so, if they are near you it may be worth paying them a visit. Mention us....... We picked ours up on March 9th, Sand Metallic Beige and chopped in a lovely green pearlescent T4 Westie 2002/3, 90000 on the clock and running like a dream
Very good customer care there.

Best of luck in your search. David

Cheers David and bob for your input .. Much appreciated thankyou .....also thanks to Chris and his dad for taking time out on Sunday to show me their lovely pair of cali's and the new/old differences :)
:thanks guys

It's a pleasure Lee,

Best of luck with your search.

David