Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello to all, and a couple of very basic questions

Agnes

Agnes

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi. Finally took the plunge after ruminating on a purchase for several years. An almost new (2019) Cali Ocean 2ltr deisel DSG Tiptronic 199ps 4 Motion with Solar panels. Done a couple of short trips so far, which were enjoyable, once I got the knack of getting the downstairs bench seat to convert! I find it a bit stiff to move, having wrists somewhat weakened from arthritis. So, any tips on getting a smoother glide would be welcome. Second question, which is probably a bit crazy to you guys, but I am unclear about what runs off what battery. If I use the chargers in the dash, if I have the lights on, if I run the fridge, if I use the 3 pin point on the side of the kitchen unit ( I read that this only works on hook up, but dont understand why). Does all this run down the main battery and then it switches to the leisure one? Which battery will the solar panels be charging? How do I check the voltage on the two batteries? If I am on a hook up does that provide power to all the van's electricity needs or just some? Yikes, so much I dont understand! Happy to read more somewhere if anyhow can point me to an idiots guide to electrics and batteries......

Thanks

Hi. Finally took the plunge after ruminating on a purchase for several years. An almost new (2019) Cali Ocean 2ltr deisel DSG Tiptronic 199ps 4 Motion with Solar panels. Done a couple of short trips so far, which were enjoyable, once I got the knack of getting the downstairs bench seat to convert! I find it a bit stiff to move, having wrists somewhat weakened from arthritis. So, any tips on getting a smoother glide would be welcome. Second question, which is probably a bit crazy to you guys, but I am unclear about what runs off what battery. If I use the chargers in the dash, if I have the lights on, if I run the fridge, if I use the 3 pin point on the side of the kitchen unit ( I read that this only works on hook up, but dont understand why). Does all this run down the main battery and then it switches to the leisure one? Which battery will the solar panels be charging? How do I check the voltage on the two batteries? If I am on a hook up does that provide power to all the van's electricity needs or just some? Yikes, so much I dont understand! Happy to read more somewhere if anyhow can point me to an idiots guide to electrics and batteries......

Thanks
Welcome.
1. The bench seat is easiest to move if you sit in the centre, pull the lever and then walk forward or push back with your legs.
2. Every electrical item/ socket behind the front seats run off the Leisure Batteries. Everything in the Cab runs off the Engine Battery and it is easy to flatten that if used, cab lights/charging from sockets, for an extended period.
3. The U.K., 3 pin socket on the end of the kitchen sink will only be powered if the vehicle is plugged into the campsite or home Mains supply.
4. You have 2 Leisure Batteries and 1 Engine Battery. If the vehicle is plugged into the Mains supply then the Onboard Charger will Charge the Leisure Batteries. Likewise the Solar Panel is wired into the Leisure Batteries and will Charge them only, unless also wired to Engine Battery.
5. The Control Panel will show the Voltage and Capacity of the Leisure Batteries ONLY.

I suggest reading the Handbook, especially the California Booklet.

Thanks, that's really helpful. So, to charge the phone when engine not running, I should use the cigarette type socket behind the passenger seat and not the one in the dash. Unlike the 3 pin, that socket seems to work without the hook up? I take it then, that all the lights in the back e.g. above the door, above the kitchen etc run off the leisure battery, so its ok to use those without running down the engine battery. How do I find out if the solar panels are also wired into the Engine battery?

Thanks, that's really helpful. So, to charge the phone when engine not running, I should use the cigarette type socket behind the passenger seat and not the one in the dash. Unlike the 3 pin, that socket seems to work without the hook up? I take it then, that all the lights in the back e.g. above the door, above the kitchen etc run off the leisure battery, so its ok to use those without running down the engine battery. How do I find out if the solar panels are also wired into the Engine battery?
Your 3 pin house hold socket ONLY WORKS ON HOOK UP. imagine it a straight extension wired through the van when you plug it in to mains. There is an inverter that is excellent for fast charging phones and laptops. This works off the leisure system and is 240v 150w power. You will need a euro adapter though to use it. And don't leave it plugged in when not charging. Welcome to the complex california.

Back