Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

hello from Cumbria

G

GranddadBeattie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hello, we are about to take the plunge and purchase a California Ocean. having owned countless VW campers over the years we moved to larger coachbuilt vans when our children became to big for a camper. 6 years ago I had to give up driving and with much regret out Adria twin had to go - we've been tuggers ever since. However now retired and loving the fells, cycling and outdoor swimming the idea of a small camper has grown to the point that purchase of an Ocean is about to happen.
The question we have is regarding a Portapotti - where does everyone keep them? is there a make/type that fits in one of the cupboards or is it a case of securing one behind the bench seat somewhere? lots of the smaller converters include them in a lower cupboard, I am surprised VW don't so any advice would be appreciated.

That's all for now - Thanks very much for allowing me to Join

Welcome to the forum @GranddadBeattie , exciting times for you.
One bit of advice, edit your location and remove your postcode. There might be some lowlife that could look for your campervan to steal.
Lots of tips and help on here, please posts pics when you have your Cali. :thumb:welcome

:welcometo the forum.

We are waiting on delivery of our van, but have got a PP 335 and are planning on putting it in the boot area whilst travelling. Remains to be seen if it will actually be used, but handy to have if needed.

What are you thinking of in terms of colour / options, etc.

Hello, we are about to take the plunge and purchase a California Ocean. having owned countless VW campers over the years we moved to larger coachbuilt vans when our children became to big for a camper. 6 years ago I had to give up driving and with much regret out Adria twin had to go - we've been tuggers ever since. However now retired and loving the fells, cycling and outdoor swimming the idea of a small camper has grown to the point that purchase of an Ocean is about to happen.
The question we have is regarding a Portapotti - where does everyone keep them? is there a make/type that fits in one of the cupboards or is it a case of securing one behind the bench seat somewhere? lots of the smaller converters include them in a lower cupboard, I am surprised VW don't so any advice would be appreciated.

Porta-potti's

The most common being the rthetford 335,

can live under a nice box ,supplied by Dunelm, in the living area,

In one of the cupboards under the sink if mods made to the shelving

In the boot with the bed on it's highest setting

or none at all, replaced by nothing or alternatives such as a bog-in-a-bag.

There have been many discussions on here regarding such a thing, on the right of the subject bar at the top there is a looking glass symbol which accesses the search function. Worth a look around at other threads.

Welcome btw :) and as @Sad suggested, you may want to amend your location description to remove your postcode.

Porta-potti's

In one of the cupboards under the sink if mods made to the shelving

In the boot with the bed on it's highest setting

Worth noting for a T6.1 that the rear shelf is in the lower position compared to a T6 van so not 100% sure it will fit under anymore.

The under sink cupboard is designed to take the 335 & brandrup do a special tray that protects the floor of the cupboard & importantly the door runner that you have to drag the 335 over to get it out.

If you do go for the under sink option, the shelf brackets have the correct holes already drilled so its a 2 minute job to move the shelf up.

We have a t6 and the cube fits in cupboard, it is quite a low seating position, but it free’s up space elsewhere.

We have the 335 and used to keep it in the boot, but since COVID happened we have it sitting behind the drivers seat, with the storage box over the top and secured with a strap.

- It works a treat as an easy seat at lunchtime, and avoids having to spin the drivers seat.
- It also provides quick access when we are out and about, avoiding public toilets.
- It’s also a great footstool.
- Gives us more space in the boot.
- Doesn't compromise our kitchen storage.
- Don’t have to lug it from the boot at night if using in the van.
-Don’t have to repack the boot to going out for the day.
- Cover/securing solution cost £28 in total rather than much more for than the more expensive brackets and tailor made cover.

As you can probably tell, we are fans of our current set up!

Welcome from another Cumbrian Cali owner, our paths may cross as same interests.
I had my thetford 335 stored in the left cupboard with a bespoke shelf mount above, as I did not like the limited shelf space that was left in the right hand cupboard.
I now mix and match, long term storage of 335 in left cupboard and when in regular use lives in the boot in a Thetford carry bag with all chemicals.
Only downside of left cupboard use is that the rear seat needs moved back 2 to 3 inches from normal position to allow easy removal.
I also made bespoke floor pieces for each cupboard so that the floor is now level with the top of the bottom channel that the doors run in which makes getting bulkier items in an out much easier as they glide over the channel rather than catching.

Welcome from a fellow Cumbrian. I always wave when I pass a Cali so hope I'll see you.

One bit of advice, edit your location and remove your postcode. There might be some lowlife that could look for your campervan to steal.
Lots of tips and help on here, please posts pics when you have your Cali. :thumb:welcome
@larrylamb how do you know if people can see your postcode ? I've set my account so no one can see my profile but this was the default.
I'm wondering why people can see the location and postcode of so many new members when they first post, surely it should be the default not to reveal this information ??

Welcome to the club.
Great part of the country you live in and perfect California country.
We watched a year on Helvellyn on catchup last night - fantastic program. It took us back to our honeymoon in 1977 at the Lodore Swiss Hotel on Derwent Water.

@larrylamb how do you know if people can see your postcode ? I've set my account so no one can see my profile but this was the default.
I'm wondering why people can see the location and postcode of so many new members when they first post, surely it should be the default not to reveal this information ??
The postcode was shown for everyone to see in the location details of the OP's avatar. You have Cheshire in that section which is fine but a full postcode is not for security reasons.

The postcode was shown for everyone to see in the location details of the OP's avatar. You have Cheshire in that section which is fine but a full postcode is not for security reasons.
Thanks...I've looked on my account and see where you mean, I think the County was put in there by default so I'm still confused why so many new members have a postcode showing and it's worrying me. Also it's not clear what info you put in there is viewable to the public.
Perhaps an admin can help ?

Welcome GranddadBeattie :)

Have done, thank you

:welcometo the forum.

We are waiting on delivery of our van, but have got a PP 335 and are planning on putting it in the boot area whilst travelling. Remains to be seen if it will actually be used, but handy to have if needed.

What are you thinking of in terms of colour / options, etc.
Struggling to find a dealer who is actually interested in our business, looking increasingly likely to pull the plug on the idea

I'm very surprised that personal information required to join it then made public - not good practice at all at in breach of data protection regulations.

Have you tried AutoeBid or DrivetheDeal. I have ordered through my local dealer, but there are many people on the forum who have ordered via them.
I ordered in October with DtD- can’t fault them BUT
- You need to know precisely what you want to order - which a dealer can help with but this forum is just as (more?) helpful
- You will sacrifice a relationship with your dealer, as you’ll be directed to one (such as Eurovans Crawley) whose business model is based on securing as many orders as possible. When you hear nothing for months after ordering...don’t be surprised when you call them and they say “we’ve got over 100 Californias on order, so we’ll only call you when there’s some news”. I suspect there may be some additional delay in taking delivery too because dealers have quotas and DTD dealers have dark quota arts to play with.
I figured I’m big and ugly enough to be treated like an army recruit if I can have all my options thrown in ‘for free’. Given the lockdown, the delays haven’t really mattered for me.

I ordered in October with DtD- can’t fault them BUT
- You need to know precisely what you want to order - which a dealer can help with but this forum is just as (more?) helpful
- You will sacrifice a relationship with your dealer, as you’ll be directed to one (such as Eurovans Crawley) whose business model is based on securing as many orders as possible. When you hear nothing for months after ordering...don’t be surprised when you call them and they say “we’ve got over 100 Californias on order, so we’ll only call you when there’s some news”. I suspect there may be some additional delay in taking delivery too because dealers have quotas and DTD dealers have dark quota arts to play with.
I figured I’m big and ugly enough to be treated like an army recruit if I can have all my options thrown in ‘for free’. Given the lockdown, the delays haven’t really mattered for me.
I looked into both, but preferred to have a relationship with my local dealer (part of a larger motor group in our area whom I've had dealings with over the years and had no issues), it has cost a little more for the van, but felt it would be easier to hold them to account being my local supplying dealer. I have however not had any experience with a "Commercial Van" dealership, and they appear to be a little different (less forthcoming and helpful) in terms of customer focus and attention so far.

I looked into both, but preferred to have a relationship with my local dealer (part of a larger motor group in our area whom I've had dealings with over the years and had no issues), it has cost a little more for the van, but felt it would be easier to hold them to account being my local supplying dealer. I have however not had any experience with a "Commercial Van" dealership, and they appear to be a little different (less forthcoming and helpful) in terms of customer focus and attention so far.
I would second the statement about Commercial van dealership v all previous car dealership experience.
Unfortunately, my local dealership Carlisle stopped all new California sales in 2020 and has no plans to reinstate.
My experience of a van dealer customer service was vastly inferior to previous Audi/VW car customer service.
Eg need a courtesy van for repairs/servicing = laughter and not likely even if booked in advance. Breakdown but still mobile = argument between VW assist at home and van dealership that no loan vehicle unless towed in yet VW advice not to drive long distance due to fault but dealer 35 miles away.
Car dealer experience was we will come and collect on trailer a vehicle that is mobile but with restricted use.
Queries over quality of work=Difficult to speak with anyone other than service reception. Car dealer = no problem speaking to service manager and/or master technicians.
So use the reviews on dealers and choose carefully where you Cali is cared for.
My next visits will be to Preston or Liverpool from Cumbria or Breeze (Poole on hol) van Centres given the favourable comments here.