Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello All

Vern&Ali

Vern&Ali

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi just wanted to introduce myself to the club. I am Vern and my wife is Ali. We have owned our T4 Westfalia 1996 facelift for 9 years and loved every minute. She has taken us on many an excellent holiday. We are now at the stage of spend a few pounds on her and get a re spray (red and fading on some panels) or upgrade to a T5 or T6. What to do.?

Welcome. That’s quite a dilemma. I’d be tempted to do the repaint as you know the van so well, and put the T5, T6 cash to some other use. I would have thought your T4 has stopped depreciating and will start appreciating.

Plenty of chat here about the benefits of the newer vans. I’ve made the change and the biggest difference is in ease of driving. Once parked up, you won’t notice much difference.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Tricky decision on which way to go but at some time you have to cut your losses as the van gets older it will require more maintenance. but at least you know what you have.

Yeah a t4 Westfalia is a great van. I’d be tempted to keep it if it’s just faded??
if it’s starting to rust then that’s another matter..
In all honesty if I could of found a really nice and clean late t4 Westfalia I wouldn’t of bought another California.
I still look and if THE ONE ever came up I’d buy it and sell the California and chuck the rest in the bank ...as much as I absolutely love it I’m a sucker for simplicity,the t4 is my favourite and is bombproof

• Agree
Reactions: MrP
Those are really good points thank you. I must admit the thought of spending 50,000 on a T6 is more then my first two houses. Still tempting though and new isnt always better.

A decent respray will easily be £2000+ for prep and paint on a van (maybe more?) I would imagine so the question if that investment is worth while for you.

If they find rust when doing that then you end up with the cost spiralling. My t25 respray easily cost me £4500 in the end because of all the new panels that were required when it was stripped back. Don't get me wrong its awesome now its solid but it was a lot of cash.

I realised I could get a Cali for the amount a month I was spending on the old bus and to be honest the reliability has been a revelation compared to an old one.

Last edited: