Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello all

Welcome from another Yorkshireman we are jusr beginning our 3rd year of Cali ownership we will be in Cornwall May and Sept . Harlyn bay is great for Cali's plenty of room to park when weather good we are there all day .Enjoy your Cali Sheila and Michael.

Hello from another newbie, and one with Yorkshire roots too :)

We get everywhere these days. Not like in this old hale and pace sketch.
Hi David thanks for the welcome! I'm sure you'll always be a Yorkshireman at heart. Which part are you from? We are from near penistone south yorks.
Now that's a list and a half :D any pics would be welcome. I have always had a soft spot for an alpina and Maseratis have always been head turners! I do think you can be addicted to buying cars, something I'm going to try and go cold turkey from. Having said that I don't think it will be that hard we are really loving the Cali, in fact I just made an excuse to go out to tesco so I could have a drive and our daughter Izzy is absolutely loving it.
I can only really see me adding wheels and maybe the side tubes for the aesthetics but it won't be anytime soon.
Cheers James :thumb

Harrogate, so not 'true' Yorkshire!

Totally agree on Alpinas. I had a C2 in 1988. Drove one again the other day - crude by comparison to modern machinery, but it was totally - I think the right word is - guttural. Fab. Almost no digital pics of previous cars - mostly they're analogue and stored in little boxes which live in a bigger box under the piano. Apparently one day the fairies will sort all of them into little albums which will all be stored in a much bigger album that we'll be able to meander through on cold winter evenings...hmmm.

Only digital pics I have are of my Gransport before its PDI.

Don't bother going cold turkey, as GJ said, you're a long time dead.

Dave

IMG_6036.jpg

pic2.jpg

Welcome from another Yorkshireman we are jusr beginning our 3rd year of Cali ownership we will be in Cornwall May and Sept . Harlyn bay is great for Cali's plenty of room to park when weather good we are there all day .Enjoy your Cali Sheila and Michael.
Hi Calroe1, thanks for the welcome. Also thanks for the tips, we are staying in crantock but going to be using the Cali to do some touring around so will keep a look out for you! It's our first trip down that way on and hope there is going to be plenty more. We are just looking for some campsites around Bristol area to have a few nights on the way down to break up the journey. Really looking forward to it! Hope you have some good trips this year too. Cheers James.

Harrogate, so not 'true' Yorkshire!

Totally agree on Alpinas. I had a C2 in 1988. Drove one again the other day - crude by comparison to modern machinery, but it was totally - I think the right word is - guttural. Fab. Almost no digital pics of previous cars - mostly they're analogue and stored in little boxes which live in a bigger box under the piano. Apparently one day the fairies will sort all of them into little albums which will all be stored in a much bigger album that we'll be able to meander through on cold winter evenings...hmmm.

Only digital pics I have are of my Gransport before its PDI.

Don't bother going cold turkey, as GJ said, you're a long time dead.

Dave

View attachment 11721

View attachment 11722
Very nice place, we stayed at Rudding park when we were first married. Absolutely loved it round there with plenty of nice cars to spot! My other half says there is a campsite at Rudding park so will have a look into that for a weekend away in the Cali.
I think we all have boxes of pics that are waiting for that treatment. My other half thinks the fairies are going to sort the 3988 pics (today's total) on her iPhone and put them into folders on our external hard drive but I'm not so sure they will. ;) Very nice it's always good to have pics when they are fresh out of the wrapper (if you remember with all the excitement)!
Ok you've convinced me I'll have to sneak a Mk7 golf R brochure in the house in a few months time just to sew the seed :thumb
James
Or one of these http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/futures/r400
Not that I've been looking already.

Last edited:
Very nice place, we stayed at Rudding park when we were first married. Absolutely loved it round there with plenty of nice cars to spot! My other half says there is a campsite at Rudding park so will have a look into that for a weekend away in the Cali.
I think we all have boxes of pics that are waiting for that treatment. My other half thinks the fairies are going to sort the 3988 pics (today's total) on her iPhone and put them into folders on our external hard drive but I'm not so sure they will. ;) Very nice it's always good to have pics when they are fresh out of the wrapper (if you remember with all the excitement)!
Ok you've convinced me I'll have to sneak a Mk7 golf R brochure in the house in a few months time just to sew the seed :thumb
James
Or one of these http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/about-us/futures/r400
Not that I've been looking already.

So James, the good (or perhaps bad news) is this...

I have a friend with a very sharp dark blue 15 plate Golf R and asked him how much it cost. £220 plus VAT a month on a lease rental arrangement was the answer, with a mere two month's payment as deposit. I figure this will be about the same per annum as my now 8 year old Volvo T6 will cost for this year's annual service. (I can hear it now - you need new rear discs... the reason the sat nav driver doesn't always respond... your lane asset sometimes shuts down because...) Changing the Volvo seems to becoming an easy decision, so much so that I nearly stopped at a VW garage today!

I'm getting a bit off thread now, so send me a PM if you want the lease company's details and I'll get them for you.

Rudding Park takes me back, been to several weddings there (but not your's I don't think!). They used to have several classic car shows when I lived there and an RAC rally stage one year in the mid/late seventies. Nice place to camp I'd say. There was a nice site at Borough Bridge too - I went to as a kid - on the River Nidd(?), so fishing and people waterskiing (not so good for the fish of course) and a half decent walk into town for supplies.

Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for the thought I appreciate it. Sounds like a cracking deal for a car like that no wonder there are a lot more Mk 7s on the road than the Mk 6s. Unfortunately I'm not in the position just now as we have a new arrival due in May and I have to recover from the Cali purchase. The Volvo sounds like it's on borrowed time in your household, which VW would you be looking at if you did replace it? I think Rudding park was voted 4th best hotel in the world not too long ago, what an amazing place! However I wouldn't recommend eating a pigeon starter followed by a venison main course if you aren't used to game food (as I am not) :oops:. Will have a look for the borough bridge one, it might be near where I did DofE as the river nidd was definitely near by, that should bring back memories of it is! Cheers James