Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heater or no heater??

D

DebsWhite

VIP Member
Also, completely new to this game. About to take the plunge and buy my first Cali. Wanted to pick up a 140 beach with less than 10 000 on the clock. However, also like the idea of having a heater. I know they are standard on the SE, (but we want to be able to put 6 seats in at times so the SE not an option.) Just wondered, how often do people use them? are they essential to get away for a winter weekend? or do most people just manage without? I can't seem to find a second hand option that has one listed.

Any advice?

Hi, you might struggle to find one as its almost the priciest option available so when dealers order for stock they tend to avoid things like that in favour of items that are more "surprise and delight" or generally just more useful like parking sensors, multifunction steering wheel and cruise control etc.

There aren't many about with Climatronic aircon either.

If you really decide you need one perhaps consider having an aftermarket one like an Eberspacher fitted, same thing as the factory one ie, diesel fired but obviously would have slightly different controls.

Paul S said:
Hi, you might struggle to find one as its almost the priciest option available so when dealers order for stock they tend to avoid things like that in favour of items that are more "surprise and delight" or generally just more useful like parking sensors, multifunction steering wheel and cruise control etc.

There aren't many about with Climatronic aircon either.

If you really decide you need one perhaps consider having an aftermarket one like an Eberspacher fitted, same thing as the factory one ie, diesel fired but obviously would have slightly different controls.

Exactly what Paul said. For a Beach, the parking heater will be desirable when it comes to sell.

It depends how and when you use the van. We don't camp a lot out of season, so we have a £20 thermostat controlled heater out of B&Q which we run off hook up. That does us fine but there is no doubt a Parking Heater would give you more year round going away usability.

If you're buying a dealer demo, as Paul says, then in order to get a model with a Parking Heater, possibly you'll have to sacrifice other goodies. Some dealers like SMG often fit their demo Beaches with one.

James

DebsWhite said:
Also, completely new to this game. About to take the plunge and buy my first Cali. Wanted to pick up a 140 beach with less than 10 000 on the clock. However, also like the idea of having a heater. I know they are standard on the SE, (but we want to be able to put 6 seats in at times so the SE not an option.) Just wondered, how often do people use them? are they essential to get away for a winter weekend? or do most people just manage without? I can't seem to find a second hand option that has one listed.

Any advice?

Also worth reading for the experiences and differences of owning a Beach with the 2 seater rear seat and the 3 seater rear seat.

Keep us updated :)

James

In my opinion heater is a must. It makes the van usable 12 months a year, rather than 4 months a year. Quite a big advange for a reasonabe spending. You may also look into Multivans, still with Webasto though, and with "Good Night" package (blinds and foldable bench). And some Multivans (if I am not mistaken) are equipped with the pop-up roof.

I believe our current Beach demo has a parking heater fitted. Call and speak to Hugh in sales on 01403 839640 if it may be of interest to you?

cheers

Andresz said:
In my opinion heater is a must. It makes the van usable 12 months a year, rather than 4 months a year. Quite a big advange for a reasonabe spending. You may also look into Multivans, still with Webasto though, and with "Good Night" package (blinds and foldable bench). And some Multivans (if I am not mistaken) are equipped with the pop-up roof.

I wouldn't say it's a must. It's worth remembering that if you have a three sweater bench beach you have a very practical MPV.

Camping or going away has been a small part of owning my beach. It's versality on a day to day basis is amazing. It's my daily driver so it's used for work and when I go out to see people.

You can turn a Multivn/Caravelle into a tin top camper by specifying parking heater and the goodnight package

James

Custard said:
Andresz said:

I wouldn't say it's a must. It's worth remembering that if you have a three sweater bench beach you have a very practical MPV.

Camping or going away has been a small part of owning my beach. It's versality on a day to day basis is amazing. It's my daily driver so it's used for work and when I go out to see people.

You can turn a Multivn/Caravelle into a tin top camper by specifying parking heater and the goodnight package

James

I also use California for every day live. In fact I do 35000 km per year in Cali. But, then what really differanciates it from other MPVs in every day use, is the heater...

Andresz said:
Custard said:
Andresz said:

James

I also use California for every day live. In fact I do 35000 km per year in Cali. But, then what really differanciates it from other MPVs in every day use, is the heater...

In the UK the Beach is vastly different to other MPV's - viewed as that, an MPV then it's closest rival is probably the Caravelle.

You d pay a price for the Beach Concept. You must remember that here in the UK we do not get the full Multivan range, we get the Caravelle and not all the configurations.

I accept the Heater, if you can get it, is important but without it you can still go away, you still camp and do the million other things that Beach can do.

You can't buy any other MPV with a pop top for example, beating in mind here in the UK we don't get the Mercedes campers.

And because of the way the Beach sits in the line up and the cost of options for many, a simple way to buy is a dealer demo. When doing this, you have to decide what extras you are going to use regularly.

James

When I was seeking a California to buy I also considered Multivan or Beach. The main criteria was to have the heater in it. That is true that it is not easy to find a second hand Beach with Webasto, especially in France where I am based. Most people just use the Van for summer vacations, that's it. Eventually, when I bought a 5 years old California Comfortline (CE in UK?) I discovered the shunt issue, the previous owners just have not been using the heater at all.