Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has anyone got advice on lower bed toppers?

Scottp

Scottp

Scottp
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
After experiencing the very firm seats for a few nights away, we are considering purchasing a bed topper. Has anyone purchased one recently and which do you recommend?
Scottp - love my cali! :thefinger

You will find plenty of threads on the topic if you search. We have the Comfortz topper and very pleased with it.

We use a duvalay topper the 2imch gold one nice and comfy folds up on parcel shelf when not in use.

We have a zone sleep, have one on bed at home too. Very comfy.

We have the Comfortz, good but quite bulky folded up in the boot, wish it was a bit softer too.

+1 for Zonesleep topper, we did try others first but bit the bullet and went for it, it does cost a bit more than some of the others but it is well worth it as we spend a lot of time sleeping and we wanted to be as comfortable as we are at home.

The comfortz one is lovely and comfortable. It also folds into 3 nicely so it sits on the shelf well. We're really pleased with it. Never slept slept so well in a campervan. Great buy.

Don't spend over the odds on one! We just trimmed a domestic one to fit and cover it with a single duvet cover. When not in use we just rolled it up with the duvet & pillows inside and compressed it with two luggage straps which we left in place on the underside ;)

We use a thin quilt on the lower bed base with a cheap faux fur throw... advantage (apart from cheapness) is that they can double as covers if it gets way too cold on those -9 winter nights.

I use an air bed.

As I'm full of hot air anyway I thought I might as well sleep on it :eek:

Bought a 3 inch matress topper new off eBay ÂŁ46. Comfy as my bed!

Hi All

I get a bit confused on the subject of mattress toppers. We have an SE and folded up mattress thing on the metal shelf that folds put over the seats when laid down. It was a vw option I think part of a comfort pack. Is this what people are saying is uncomfortable and mattress toppers go on top of this?

Hi All

I get a bit confused on the subject of mattress toppers. We have an SE and folded up mattress thing on the metal shelf that folds put over the seats when laid down. It was a vw option I think part of a comfort pack. Is this what people are saying is uncomfortable and mattress toppers go on top of this?
Yep. :thumb

Our new Cali came with the comfort mattress and we have not used the topper since, seems comfy enough without. Mind you, could be something to do with a nightcap or two before bed!

Hi All

Ours doesn't have the comfort pack... so just the rear bedboard mattress and the seat back and base to sleep on. (Nothing folds over) Hence why we use the quilt as a topper.

Surprised anything is needed with the comfort pack... but as always, each to their own and you'll work out what works for you.

To be honest we used nothing more than a sheet for the first couple of years... just getting a little older now.

Last edited:
We've got a couple of thermorests we use if we sleep downstairs, handy for lounging around on outside too

We've ordered the VW topper with our Cali, but don't know what it will be like yet! It will give a good flat base to work on though. On our old camper - I made a lovely one with some cut to measure memory foam which is cheap enough, and you could cut it to fit the shelf and get someone to stitch up a cover for you.

I like Jen's blow-up to be honest as it's cheap, adjustable, and packs down to nothing. They're not great with a partner though as they will bounce about when one of you turns over.
You'll need to try out ideas from others until you find your own comfort level. Don't spend money on any expensive options straight away simply based on forum opinions though - find one to try first. I'm still reading all the forum entries while in the waiting room, and it's amazing how some people are comfortable on the thinnest expensive toppers.

While on the subject, I'm getting slightly annoyed about the number of basic items we are all needing, just to make ourselves comfortable; Bed toppers (2) , roof covers (inside/outside/insulating), roof bungees, Brandrup storage, windscreen insulators, ventilation gadgets, awning sides,water fillers, seat covers, mats, spare wheel locks mozzy nets, ÂŁ2K sat navs, and more....
This is a top of the range machine, and most of these things could have been easily designed out with aplomb at some time in the last 50 years.

What the B***** H*** is going on? :headbang

Last edited:
Re above, I think it is called options.

I don't need outside toppers. only one bed topper - (which came with the machine but I chose to go with something different), I don't need roof toppers or extra insulating, Bungee is marginal but for a few quid not going to worry, I don't need anything Brandrup, any more insect protection, my mats are my choice and I'm not having someone in Hannover choose for me, ... as for Victoria, the sat nav that came with Albert, bossy cow, I would rather have Catherine who was in my Disco.

In fact there are a few things that came with the vehicle that I would happily do without,

Of course it did not come with a nice air freshener, the little posey of flowers on top of the sink, a nice fluffy blanket that I had to supply myself, the plastic storage bins that I use to stop things rattling around, the hanging rail that I always bang my head on but is really useful, ........

The thought of the posy, sweet smells, your doggy seat cover and little red poof are delightful. We all need to have some options to customise our wheeled castles.

But EVERYONE needs to be dry, warm, efficient, secure and comfortable. Bad design at this stage of the game is pathetic.

And that's before we have to get protective covers for everything else :headbang

Last edited:
I've slept on both the VW comfort mattress and just with the Zone Sleep. I prefer the Zone Sleep. Bit like sleeping on a futon. Plus it's smaller when folded and has less problem with getting sweaty.

But, just like domestic beds, different people prefer different things.

I've slept on both the VW comfort mattress and just with the Zone Sleep. I prefer the Zone Sleep. Bit like sleeping on a futon. Plus it's smaller when folded and has less problem with getting sweaty.

But, just like domestic beds, different people prefer different things.

:thefinger Wow- great response from so many
Decisions decisions bought our dream machine without comfort pack
Thank you to you all great forum

We also have the Zonesleep, the big thing for us is you can wash it. When you are away in a hot climate for a few weeks you can image a lot of sweat accumulates on a topper so it is nice to just wash it with some fabric conditioner when you return home and it is like brand new again.

+1 for Zonesleep but have never thought of putting it in the washing machine!

Just looked again at ours and there are actual washing instructions on it, brill :)

Back