Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hard Standing Awning Pegs

Princess Doris

Princess Doris

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We have stayed on a number of sites since taking delivery of our California in March. Always choosing hard standing pitches.
We have a drive away awning. Despite using Rock pegs, we find most of the pitches extremely difficult to Hammer in the pegs, and removing them is another story. I'm seeing adds for screw in pegs using a rechargeable drill. The price of these pegs vary considerably. I'd appreciate any advice.
Thanks

I have tried screw in pegs with drill. Great on dry grass, but I found them pretty useless on hard standing as the stones get in the way. I found that using good rock pegs with a big claw hammer works a treat. You need the claw part to tease the pegs out afterwards. That’s my experience

Another vote for a big hammer (I use a lump hammer) and rock pegs. I use a peg puller and don’t have too much trouble getting them out.
A rubber mallet is, in my opinion, useless for the task.

We’ve gone through lots of pegs on hard standing, even hammering them straight again and re-pointing with a grinder. I find that shorter and thicker works best. I picked some up in Castleton from a camping shop last year after bending about 20, they’re about 12 cm long and they work well, but still need re-pointing now.

A lump hammer is best to get them into the ground, although we carry both a claw hammer and a peg puller as well. And we carry spare pegs!

I bought a screw in set, but we haven’t used them yet. I never have space in the boot for a drill !

I have just bought some screw in pegs but not used them as yet. Also had a spare impact driver from screwfix which I bought as a set so it’s small enough to store in the Cali rear storage bit. When I do eventually use them I’ll post on here how good or bad they are….

Have an impact driver and screw pegs, pretty good and better than a lump hammer, which I also carry for softer ground as much less hassle. Best advice from me is carry both and also a mixture of pegs for all surfaces.

I carry a long tapered punch, it tapers from around 10mm down to 2mm at the point for really hard ground in my peg bag. Hit it in, pull it out and then hit your rock peg into the hole.

Some sites seem to go for a sand and cement mix of about 75 - 100mm covered by gravel. The problem arises when gravel is added to the sand cement mix - in other words concrete. We stayed at a site in Llyn where hard standings had been made. I bent lots of pegs and nearly gave in when one peg punctured the slab and went straight in. I’d cracked the slab. Once I’d got the technique I used the same hardened peg to make further holes. We told the site warden who said he’d need to bring the contractor back to remake them all as he’d used the wrong mix!

Steel pegs and a big hammer (NOT a mallet), and not let us down yet. Hammer then used to 'lever' the pegs out when breaking down, and again, always seem to work. Never tried the screw in type, so can't comment sorry.