Awning rock peg removal

• Thread starter California Dreamer
  • Start date
California Dreamer

California Dreamer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi does anyone have a smallish tool that works well to remove pegs from the awning legs? We really struggled recently on hard ground after it rained and the rock pegs became cemented in! A claw hammer did the job after digging around the awning leg to make space but do we really need to take a massive hammer on each trip? (the stubby ones don’t have a wide enough claw for heavy duty pegs) - normal tent peg remover hooks were useless. Any recommendations welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this issue recently. I levered it out by using my peg mallet to provide a fulcrum and an adjustable spanner (from my tool kit) as the lever.

Hi does anyone have a smallish tool that works well to remove pegs from the awning legs? We really struggled recently on hard ground after it rained and the rock pegs became cemented in! A claw hammer did the job after digging around the awning leg to make space but do we really need to take a massive hammer on each trip? (the stubby ones don’t have a wide enough claw for heavy duty pegs) - normal tent peg remover hooks were useless. Any recommendations welcome!

Agree, I bought a stubby claw for the removal of standard pegs and found the claw too narrow. Maybe someone will post a link for a better one?

61ZC9PMuSjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Keello Camping Hammer Steel Hammer for Tent Pegs Wooden Mallet Camping Mallet Hammer Multi-Function Hammer with Lanyard for Tent Pegs Outdoor & Indoor

I have the 10mm bolt top screw in type of pegs.
And an impact ratchet gun with a 10mm socket.
Piece of cake, in n out.
Also helpful if I get a puncture and need to remove wheel nuts.

We also have just switched to the PeggyPeg system with their hammer in screw out pegs for hard standing. Their footpads for the wind out legs are brilliant! The pads stay in place for the duration of the stay and if you want to drive off just use the quick release sliders to release the legs to wind in. We use a floor marker to realign van back to same position on return.

If you have a trampoline, it comes with a handle with a hook to stretch the springs - it would be perfect.

I use screw in pegs with a battery drill which seems to work

A good quality peg puller available from any decent outdoor shop. Don't bother with the flimsy ones that come with peg sets.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

A good quality peg puller available from any decent outdoor shop. Don't bother with the flimsy ones that come with peg sets.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Thanks, I have a good one (similar to trampoline tool) but it was useless on the heavy duty pegs once they were stuck! Appreciate all the advice, think I will also get awning footplates as suggested and look for a claw bar/hammer which is wide enough. I don’t use pegs enough to justify taking a drill - it’s just on those few sites where the ground seems to turn to concrete when wet.

61ZC9PMuSjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Keello Camping Hammer Steel Hammer for Tent Pegs Wooden Mallet Camping Mallet Hammer Multi-Function Hammer with Lanyard for Tent Pegs Outdoor & Indoor
This is even better then My solution.
I smply use one of the other pegs to pull them out.
(I always have spare)

nevermind my previous post found it. ;) just had to read a but further.. ;)

Thanks for all the replies, I’ve now bought a cheaper version of the keello shaped hammer from decathlon which seems light but strong- the ‘claw’ is a perfect fit for the heavy duty pegs so hope it will do the trick if we get cemented in again :)

Back