Granny goes camping

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hello

I'm jen and back to motor camping after a 23 year long break!

I am now a nearly retired historian, author of historic guide books and now preparing
write what I want to write, for my own amusement and possibly the amusement of others.

The last time I had a motorhome was in 1990 to 1994, an A class thing that was mostly used as a support vehicle whilst I plodded from Lands End to John o'groats three times on foot. I will also confess to having had a couple of caravans.

Now I want to drive all around the mainland UK coast, retrace my walking steps, but using a campervan, and explore lots and lots of Britain and Europe. Often with one or both of my dogs for company.

I have just finished a week's Hire of a California and I must confess to being smitten.

Off now to go shopping for one. Two must haves though, one is 4WD and the other is an automatic gearbox. I intend using it all year round so also heating and insulation is important.

Well, hello everyone and grateful for any advice that you can give.

It sounds like any advice should be coming from you to us - it sounds like you have plenty of life experiences to draw from. I look forward to hearing more of your experiences as you revisit our amazing island.

Welcome along!

If you are looking for a new vehicle, then give Hugh in our sales department a call as he would be more than happy to help you 01403 581242.

Thanks

Good plan, looking forward to reading about your adventures!

dan

Welcome along I hope you find your ideal cali :thumb

Thank you all for the greetings.

I am kicking myself now for not having joined earlier as I am well into discussion with another VW dealer re. buying a California :( Sorry Alex and Hugh.

I am reassured though that my spec of a 180 DSG 4motion seems quite popular here, so many telling me "go for the 140" and 4WD not worth it!

I do want round the capability and will be staying on a lot of grass only sites so to me it seemed commonsense to be able to get off in winter weather!

HI Jen
Join the club, we’re Grandparents also, had a VW T25 back in the 80’s, now got a Cali. Ours is the similar spec as you are thinking of getting, 4-Motion DSG 180. We didn’t originally want 4WD, but as we bought second hand and one came along with 4WD at the time we were looking, I jumped at it. Not that I want to get it all muddy! What a good decision, it’s an awesome combination.

Back in the 80’s we also bought a book, the AA Illustrated Guide to Britain’s Coast, so have spent many years browsing it, and dreaming about driving around it, we just had to do it .

Now having finally bought our Cali, that’s what we are doing. The ethos we are following is to drive the nearest road to the coast regardless of size. This does mean we some time end up in industrial sites or down rather narrow lanes, but this adds to the adventure. To make it a bit more of an adventure, we are trying to Wild Camp as much as possible. So far we’ve spent 70 nights in the Cali, but there is still a lot of coast to go! Devon and Cornwall in the next couple of weeks which should be good now it’s out of season.

Hope your purchase goes well, but if you get the choice, I’d get a180 and definitely NOT an electric side door :!:

Thank you for your reply. We have very similar ideas so well meet each other on our respective travels!

Why not an electric sliding door?

SusiBus said:
HI Jen

Hope your purchase goes well, but if you get the choice, I’d get a180 and definitely NOT an electric side door :!:

Ok, got it! Just read the sliding door thread. One less option on my list :)