Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Google streetview oddities

Browsing Google maps, with a plan to climb Pen-y-Fan on Saturday with Ben and Meg, I came across this rather alarming image of a severed leg.

I don’t see the leg?
*edit
Got it. It definitely looks like an abduction. Nice camera though.

Last edited:
I noticed a ‘sinking’ ferry in Bodø, Norway ferry terminal when I sailed to Lofoten if you look at google maps satellite view.

Bodø fergekai
67°17'17. 14°23'39., 9th Ave, Norway
+47 906 20 700

5ADFF833-597B-4945-9628-9EE71244B33B.png

I was on Google maps some years ago. Just as well they blank faces, as I looked gormlessly at the strange little camera car as it passed by :oops:

Looks like he has a shoe to spare.

Maybe he legged off to somewhere else?

Browsing Google maps, with a plan to climb Pen-y-Fan on Saturday with Ben and Meg, I came across this rather alarming image of a severed leg.

Which route are you planning?
Just be aware that if it’s a nice day that parking by the storey arms can be a nightmare with the police being very proactive.
Great walk though if a clear day.

Yikes!!! Looks awful

Get there early then as they are restricting car parking to official areas and ticketing or towing vehicles that park on the roadside verges.

Which route are you planning?
Just be aware that if it’s a nice day that parking by the storey arms can be a nightmare with the police being very proactive.
Great walk though if a clear day.
Cwm Llwch - I've no intention of going anywhere near the Storey Arms.

Up one way and back the other:

There's a farmer there who rents a field out for £5 per night. I hope to stay there on Friday night and Saturday night. Ben's only six so I want as much time as needed for the walk.

Last edited:

There's a farmer there who rents a field out for £5 per night. I hope to stay there on Friday night and Saturday night. Ben's only six so I want as much time as needed for the walk.
Wasn't referring to the Storey Arms.:thumb

And I wasn't relying to you! In fact, I hadn't even seen your warning until after I posted!
That's OK. Only trying to assist with some information.

It’s not far from here and we went on Saturday for a walk but didn’t climb right up. The western A470 side is very busy but it’s an easy climb from The Storey Arms. The eastern side is much quieter if you park just down from the (now drained for safety) Upper Neuadd Reservoir and you can do the 4 peaks/horseshoe walk from there. There was plenty of room in the top car park (1st one on the left). We’re 5 mins from M4 A470 junction 32 ur Welcome to pop in / camp on your way past.

A192F762-6EB2-4AE0-BCD4-936A29D8F9FA.jpeg

6A78F889-593D-4D9A-BC47-12C8B7638789.jpeg

Last edited:
Talking of Streetview oddities: me (with my hands in my pocket) a few years ago:

Here in Flanders a guy carrying his head,...Big G got a shock, so blurred by now, even if they did wear masks.

Schermafbeelding 2020-09-03 om 09.08.22.png

Nice route - gets you blowing a bit at the end but usually a quieter walk so let’s hope the weather is kind for you both (and Meg). Good luck and enjoy.

It’s not far from here and we went on Saturday for a walk but didn’t climb right up. The western A470 side is very busy but it’s an easy climb from The Storey Arms. The eastern side is much quieter if you park just down from the (now drained for safety) Upper Neuadd Reservoir and you can do the 4 peaks/horseshoe walk from there. There was plenty of room in the top car park (1st one on the left). We’re 5 mins from M4 A470 junction 32 ur Welcome to pop in / camp on your way past.

View attachment 65478

View attachment 65479
I'm decided on the quieter, and more spectacular, Cwm Llwch circular walk, past the Severed Leg Lake and Tommy Jones Obelisk before Corn Du and Pen y Fan.

It is a pity that we are unlikely to be doing all four peaks. Much will depend on Ben. Pen y Fan to Cribyn would add at least an hour there and back and Pen y Fan to Fan y Big (via Cribyn) at least two hours there and back. But what a glorious ridge if we could squeeze it in! So I can certainly see the merits in the four peak walk from the reservoir, and it is a walk I have done at least twice before, but it does lack the spectacular views of the glacial cirque from Cwm Llwch.

I'm watching the weather forecast carefully. At the moment it is predicting a cloudless Friday night, with cloud developing from 10am on Saturday, and clear again by Saturday evening.

Due to being late leaving London, we arrived at the campground at 10.30pm. It was firmly shut!

We diverted to the National Trust car park and slept an uncomfortable night on a slope.

We decided to do our route in reverse due to the location of the car park. Just before 10 we reached the summit which due to the number of paths converging resembled Piccadilly Circus.

227093f1b7719c2017654a977d7fa7d0.jpg

Ben’s hands got cold and he’d had enough, so we turned back and went straight back missing Corn Du and the Severed Leg Lake.

Off the hill by 11.30 by which time the car park and all grass verges were rammed.

Ben preferred the calm of Cader Idris.

Pen-y-Ghent in October if there is a fine weekend forecast.