Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

iOS6 and Google Maps?

ChrisandPenney52

ChrisandPenney52

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I still haven't updated my iPod Touch to iOS6, as I use Google Maps a lot and I'm unsure about replacing them with the Apple equivalent.

Anyone regretting upgrading? What's the killer feature that I gain for giving up Google Maps?

I have a Touch, so no 3G or GPS, so I don't use it for real-time navigation, but I do use it to plan journeys

Chris

Apples maps app is not very good in my recent experience. I am about to download an app called copilot which has been recommended by others who have iPhones/Ipads. One recommended by the apple CEO is Waze i have the app but never used it so far.

I got an iPhone 5 so had no choice. Problem for me wasn't so much the map data (despite a 'Blackpool' appearing on the south coast & all that) but the associated business data, esp in UK. So looking for a campsite near Exeter returns far fewer results. The handy public transport schedules have gone too. Really backwards step. Hopefully they'll sort it for when I'm back in May! Voice turn by turn nav pretty good tho.

Phone folk get some more; Siri is a lot better and (ironically) has UK accents & content better sorted now. I can now ask my phone "whats on at the cinema" or "how did Man City do at the weekend" but that's hardly killer. Fatbook integration and camera/mail/phone enhancements are the rest. Bit of a disappointment really.

All the stuff here http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/whats-new/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Buy a Samsung Galaxy S....

Or for that matter any Android OS smart phone.

I use google maps every day and it keeps getting better. (Although I will say real time traffic data has got worst since all the iPhone / apple devices no longer use it). To me it looks like it will take Apple at least 12 months to improve......

Thanks Andy - it's the UK business data that I think I'd miss.

Heads are still rolling at Apple over the maps "upgrade". This might mean the solution is not a quick/cheap/elegant (take your pick) fix.

I actually find the Apple maps thing okay. Vector graphics so little need for 3G, and it's got us there a few times1

Google just released Google Maps on iStore - it is free. Just installed it.
- Nick

Happy days are here again!

Google maps downloaded and apple maps now on the substitute's bench.

Yeah - I might be tempted to risk the iOS6 upgrade now.

As an aside, I was playing with street view in the new app and they must have re-photographed my road since I last looked as my Cali is now shown on my driveway, and I only bought it in May!
--Nick

Back