Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Germany trip

Freeley

Freeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi all

After a change of heart with regards to going to Spain we've decided to head off to Germany in a couple of weeks and was looking for some helpful tips on destinations please!
I'm thinking of going to moselle valley first, was wondering which bit would be best for walking as we don't have bikes.
After that was thinking of heading down to mittenwald to a campsite recommended by my brother in law.

Other than that I haven't got any plans yet so was after any ideas on campsites or areas of interest - I don't particularly want to go to big cities but we like lovely old towns and mountains!

Any help appreciated thanks.

We did the Romantic road last year - medieval village overload - but very pretty.

Lots of websites giving details. Good places to visit are Rothenburg, Oberammergau, Garmisch (to visit the Zugspitze), and Schloss Neuwanstein (fairy tale castle). We made our way back via Lake Constance and Black Forrest.

We stayed here for 5 days last week - http://www.campingpark-zell.de/index.ph ... rk.50.html. Excellent all-round, 5* showers.

The little town of Zell is just across the river by footbridge and there are well-marked walking routes all over the valley. One in particular we enjoyed was a round trip of 8 miles or so taking-in the Prinzenkopf tower with a stop for coffee and cake on the way back at an idyllic converted station café at Zell Merl.

The walking leaflet from the tourist office says that the Prinzenkopf is closed, but the leaflet must date from before a new tower was built in 2009, so it's open provides some famous views.

Cheers for the tips chaps zell seems just what I was looking for. Will check out some of those other areas too.
Looking quickly at the map last night made me realise how close the Italian lakes are to the sites we're aiming for in South Germany so might make our way down there as well. Will have to ask kev where he went

Berchtesgaden in the south east on the border with Austria is very nice.

We stayed here in June www.camping-burg-lahneck.de Excellent site,and views, good restaurant. Bus or boat to Koblenz
If you are into museums, check out www.technik-museum.de Two huge museums 1 in Speyer the other in Sinsheim about 40k apart with Heidelberg between

Happy travelling

drmanhattan said:
Berchtesgaden in the south east on the border with Austria is very nice.
Yeah we're heading to mittenwald (and somewhere else that escapes me at the moment!) So will be going to that area thanks.

Sidny said:
We stayed here in June http://www.camping-burg-lahneck.de Excellent site,and views, good restaurant. Bus or boat to Koblenz
If you are into museums, check out http://www.technik-museum.de Two huge museums 1 in Speyer the other in Sinsheim about 40k apart with Heidelberg between

Happy travelling

Thanks sidny not a huge museum fan though weirdly ww2 interests me and would quite like to go to the eagles nest.

Schloss Neuwanstein Castle !!, definitively, and Magdalena campsite on the lake coast nearby.

Think about nearby Czech Republic and/or Poland for a day or 2 visit.

Regards
Andrzej

We're off tomorrow with a midnight crossing on euro tunnel and want to overnight somewhere, quite happy to stop in calais as I didn't particularly want to drive far once in France.
Can anyone recommend somewhere (not a motorway aire thanks!)
I've seen a reasonable looking place near the ferry terminal for motor homes which is where I'll go unless somebody can come up with something better.

I've stayed at the Calais Ferry terminal stopover once. Ok for a one nighter to break the journey. What I do remember is very exposed (opted not to raise roof) and early closing (can't remember time, but do wonder whether you might not have access issues if turning up at an odd time) and some random bloke took my passport on arrival - returned on checking out, thankfully!

Steve

Cheers for the input swigle.
I've just looked up the place which was suggested to me and it's actually the Calais aire municipale which is NEAR the ferry terminal not the termainal itself. It looks ok on google street view so will probably just go with that.
Last time we did the tunnel we drove for a couple of hours till i was virtually asleep at the wheel then stopped at a petrol station and dozed for a couple of hours, felt even worse afterwards though so wouldn't do that again!

swigle said:
some random bloke took my passport on arrival - returned on checking out, thankfully!
Don't ever allow that! Bring some copies watermarked 'copy' with you on holiday and give those when you can't avoid it...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

bvddobb said:
You may want to have a look at the Deutsche Alpenstrasse http://www.deutsche-alpenstrasse.de/en/home/

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Thanks Bart we're hoping to go to Mittenwald and/or Muhlleiten (weather permitting) so will probably incorporate at least some of this into the route :thumb

Freeley,

Chateau Gandspette or Chateau de la Bien Assise at Guines are both good and within 40 minutes drive from Calais terminal.

Gandspette has a great on site bistro selling good food at reasonable prices.

Cheers for the tip - but won't it be closed at about 0230 which is when we'd be going past?

Martin said:
Don't wild camp in Calais whatever you do :shocked

While it doesn't help you now, for future reference it is fine to camp in the ticket office carpark at Dunkirk ferry terminal.

Useful for late crossings to the continent and early crossings back. There are toilets open 24 hours and I think I remember a shower in there. Max stay was 48 hours I think.

Dunkirk doesn't seem to have the issues that Calais does.

I'll make a note if it as I was watching the news this morning and saw all the migrants in calais chasing lorries! If there are people hanging around at the calais aire I'll try somewhere else

skinnywhippet said:
We stayed here for 5 days last week - http://www.campingpark-zell.de/index.ph ... rk.50.html. Excellent all-round, 5* showers.

The little town of Zell is just across the river by footbridge and there are well-marked walking routes all over the valley. One in particular we enjoyed was a round trip of 8 miles or so taking-in the Prinzenkopf tower with a stop for coffee and cake on the way back at an idyllic converted station café at Zell Merl.

The walking leaflet from the tourist office says that the Prinzenkopf is closed, but the leaflet must date from before a new tower was built in 2009, so it's open provides some famous views.
You've done us a right favour skinny just sat outside the cali on the banks of the mosel with a cold cider in one hand and admiring the view. I could almost dip my toes in the water from here!
Smashing views, only had time for a quick wander into zell but looks nice. Will be gorging out on schnitzel and bitburger beer tomorrow I reckon!!
Was pouring down with rain up until we drove into town but it cleared up as soon as we set up and is lovely and sunny now.

You're most welcome. We went away this weekend (Dorset - Farrs Meadow) but did take some of the very good Zeller Schwarze Katz with us that we brought back from Zell. Buying it was an experience as the old guy insisted we drank whole glasses of every one we tried, he wasn't having any of that wimpy French spitting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trier/eifel region very nice, cheap petrol in luxembourg, allgau region/fussen/pfronten on border of austria interesting to explore too