Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Generic Kit for Travelling in France

Cameron1960

Cameron1960

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
Hi, does anyone know of a generic kit for travelling in France, i.e. light bulbs, headlight deflectors, warning triangle etc.etc.

You can get them from the AA, RAC, Halfords .... they are sold everywhere.

Also you get lots you don't want.... a warning triangle that comes with the Cali anyway, first aid kit, a Cali standard....

They sell them on the ferries if it gets to that. More expensive though - £30

breathalyzer kit... and no speed cameras on your sat nav (risks confiscation unless they are designated "Danger Zones")

breathalyzer kit... and no speed cameras on your sat nav (risks confiscation unless they are designated "Danger Zones")
The breathalyser law is not enforced. The French Government ended up in trouble because they specified the breathalysers that should be used must be certified to the Normes Francaises, but didn't realise that the manufacturers would never be able to keep up with demand.

Therefore, while it is still a legal requirement to have a breathalyser in the car (and that it is in date), and the fine is 11 euros if you don't have one, the French Government have indefinitely postponed enforcement of the law.

I bought a couple when they originally became available, but they are out of date now. The expiry date is usually two years from manufacture, but you'll be lucky to get one with a date that long.

I haven't bothered to replace mine, and none of my French friends bother. This is quite a sensible write up: http://www.drive-france.com/faqs/france-breathalyzer-law/

Hi-vis vests are another matter! You need to keep these to hand inside the vehicle and you'll get a stiff talking to at the very least if you or any of your passengers are on the hard shoulder and not wearing one.

Agreed. That is where I got to on investigating breathalyser requirement last year. Not required.

Mike

Last edited: