Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gatwick parking reduced height restrictions 2.0m?

Redrooster

Redrooster

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi All

Late last year we booked Gatwick North Valet parking for a trip this Feb - at the time of the booking the height restriction of the drop off ‘short stay valet car park 6’ was quoted as 2.1m - this I was comfortable with (just!). We need to slightly amend the drop of time so were about the amend the booking, when we noticed the booking form now states the height restriction is 2.0M ( yet the FAQ section stills refers to a 2.1M restriction). We telephoned the airport and was advised that the height restriction was 2.0M, as they had had an ’incident’ with a 2m high vehicle. (He wouldn’t say what the vehicle was). I’m now in a bit of a dilemma - at 2.1M I’m happy, at 2.0m I’m not. I can’t believe they have physically changed the height barrier and I’m guessing there are just trying to protect themselves?
Has anyone used Gartwck North Short stay Car park 6 recently without incident? Any advice appreciated......we’re in a T6 Beech with 17’’ Cascavels.
We could use the long stay but the convenience of having the van at the actual airport after a long haul flight (with 2 young and probably very irritable boys would be priceless!).
Thanks all for a fantastic forum!
Steve

I use LGW short stay parking for work trips on a regular basis with no issues. Unladen height of California is 1995mm (awning makes no difference to the height).

However, check your insurance cover is still valid if you give your keys up, otherwise you might be better avoiding the valet service and just park it yourself.

(I Expect the incident occurred as there may have been one space with a low bit of pipe work in the car park that caught the top of the 2-2.1m van.( or they forgot to take roofbars into account?))

Thanks Ch1pbutty - that’s reassuring to know - can i ask was that specifically car park 6?
Good point about the insurance, that had never crossed my mind, off to read the small print....

Valet parking.....
Are you mad...?

Don’t worry about the height barrier, they probably just park it on some local housing estates somewhere.
When my £60k vehicle gets parked up, I park it in a secure space, where I know it will be, upon my return.

Hi All

Late last year we booked Gatwick North Valet parking for a trip this Feb - at the time of the booking the height restriction of the drop off ‘short stay valet car park 6’ was quoted as 2.1m - this I was comfortable with (just!). We need to slightly amend the drop of time so were about the amend the booking, when we noticed the booking form now states the height restriction is 2.0M ( yet the FAQ section stills refers to a 2.1M restriction). We telephoned the airport and was advised that the height restriction was 2.0M, as they had had an ’incident’ with a 2m high vehicle. (He wouldn’t say what the vehicle was). I’m now in a bit of a dilemma - at 2.1M I’m happy, at 2.0m I’m not. I can’t believe they have physically changed the height barrier and I’m guessing there are just trying to protect themselves?
Has anyone used Gartwck North Short stay Car park 6 recently without incident? Any advice appreciated......we’re in a T6 Beech with 17’’ Cascavels.
We could use the long stay but the convenience of having the van at the actual airport after a long haul flight (with 2 young and probably very irritable boys would be priceless!).
Thanks all for a fantastic forum!
Steve
Absolutely fine with the barrier at gtw North as I was in there last week

Btw.
I’ve parked my Cali in the carpark adjacent to the Hilton Hotel.
Sorry can’t remember which one it is

Thanks Ch1pbutty - that’s reassuring to know - can i ask was that specifically car park 6?
Good point about the insurance, that had never crossed my mind, off to read the small print....

I use the valet, as its super quick and cars do not leave the secure carpark. Drive to the multi-story car park 6, level 2 and park in the designated lane. Keys are then collected from you, walk straight into the terminal (no need to use the lift).

When you return you head to the Valet desk in the carpark, show them some ID and they hand your keys back and tell you which bay it’s parked in.

Back