Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

French autoroute height restriction

What's the difference in cost of the Class 1 (under 2m) and the Class 2 (over 2m) ?
Class 2 is roughly 50% more
over 3m gets it to about 110% more

Also note there are discounts & increases depending upon when you travel eg:

At the weekend on the A1 motorway go to the green rate, faster and cheaper!
On Sundays or bank holiday Mondays (or certain bank holiday Tuesdays), the best time to return to Paris by the A1 is between 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. or between 8:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m.*. In addition to avoiding return traffic jams, you benefit from – 25% on the price of your trip! This is the green tariff.

Be careful on the contrary, the price is increased by 25% if you go to the toll between 4:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.! This is the red fare.

In order for the reduction or increase measure to be applied in the fairest way and without possible dispute, it is the exact start and end time of the pricing period that is taken into account.

For example:

You go to the Chamant toll on a Sunday at 4:29:59 p.m.: you pay the “green” rate, reduced by 25%. If you arrive at 4:30:45 p.m., the “red” rate will be applied to you, with a 25% increase.
You go to the Senlis-Bonsecours toll on a Sunday at 8:29:59 p.m.: you pay the fare plus 25%. By switching to 8:30:01 p.m., you benefit from the green rate, at -25%.

Class 2 is roughly 50% more
over 3m gets it to about 110% more

Also note there are discounts & increases depending upon when you travel eg:

At the weekend on the A1 motorway go to the green rate, faster and cheaper!
On Sundays or bank holiday Mondays (or certain bank holiday Tuesdays), the best time to return to Paris by the A1 is between 2:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. or between 8:30 p.m. and 11:30 p.m.*. In addition to avoiding return traffic jams, you benefit from – 25% on the price of your trip! This is the green tariff.

Be careful on the contrary, the price is increased by 25% if you go to the toll between 4:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.! This is the red fare.

In order for the reduction or increase measure to be applied in the fairest way and without possible dispute, it is the exact start and end time of the pricing period that is taken into account.

For example:

You go to the Chamant toll on a Sunday at 4:29:59 p.m.: you pay the “green” rate, reduced by 25%. If you arrive at 4:30:45 p.m., the “red” rate will be applied to you, with a 25% increase.
You go to the Senlis-Bonsecours toll on a Sunday at 8:29:59 p.m.: you pay the fare plus 25%. By switching to 8:30:01 p.m., you benefit from the green rate, at -25%.
Great info andyinluton!! Thinking about going next year so this will be great to know!! Thanks.

Tbh I’ve been over in France over a month now and rarely see the 2m barriers on tolls anymore all seem to be full height jobs. Although I wouldn’t be without my tag

Just come back from France. Used my emovis tag on both the 2 meter 30mph lanes and the larger right lanes. Just checked with emovis and they have all been charged at class 1.

I’ve just encountered the new A79 ALIAE free flow toll road, no lanes or tollbooth barriers. Gantry camera picks up your number plate as you enter/exit and you have 72 hours to pay online, unless presumably, you have an account/tag set up.
It’s in the Allier county, from the town of Sazeret in the West, to that of Digoin in the East, and runs for 88km.
I was actually on it without fully realising it was a toll road, neither my satnav nor road atlas indicated it. My route actually took me off on the first slip road and I had to pay the grand sum of 0.30 cents via their website.
Sounds like the future of autoroute tolls?

I have been charged class 2 with my roof boxes on.

I just press the button for assistance and tell them I'm class 1. They change the fare and then you pay.

Bit of a delay but thats all.

however if I am not paying attention, I have paid it before I realised so I''ve just taken those "on the chin"

The delay is about ten seconds. They answer immediately, and change the fair without any discussion.

I’ve just encountered the new A79 ALIAE free flow toll road, no lanes or tollbooth barriers. Gantry camera picks up your number plate as you enter/exit and you have 72 hours to pay online, unless presumably, you have an account/tag set up.
It’s in the Allier county, from the town of Sazeret in the West, to that of Digoin in the East, and runs for 88km.
I was actually on it without fully realising it was a toll road, neither my satnav nor road atlas indicated it. My route actually took me off on the first slip road and I had to pay the grand sum of 0.30 cents via their website.
Sounds like the future of autoroute tolls?
That's normal in Norway. All tolls are via ANPR cameras.

Back