Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

France Height Restrictions and any experience of driving in France

Barbara

Barbara

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I am thinking about driving to Spain via France in my California beech. I may stay in hotels on route so am also studying car parks!

Some of the time I will be travelling by myself so I have a auto route tag and have looked at how to use it on route. Height is a little problem as I have to get in the right lanes. Some barriers are 2m and my beech is just under 2m.
Does anyone have experience of using a tag on the motorways? I have used it in a car in France but not the van yet, it is valid for the van as well. I have used one in the van in Spain but barriers are 2.1 or 2.2 m there.

Other low areas maybe the Rouen underpasses and tunnel under Paris, any experience would be useful.

Any other useful points would be helpful too.
Thanks

The tag works very well and I have got my SE / Ocean under all the 2m height barriers.

Some underpasses in Rouen are no-go for a 2m high vehicle but if you are going through, following the Autoroute/ N Route then there are no problems.

I do mention 2m height barriers on A roads but you can avoid them anyway on most toll-plaza's although you will miss out on the 30km rolling lane.

At 2m you will be fine, just be aware if you use the vw bike rack that sticks up a bit higher!

The tag works very well and I have got my SE / Ocean under all the 2m height barriers.

Some underpasses in Rouen are no-go for a 2m high vehicle but if you are going through, following the Autoroute/ N Route then there are no problems.

I do mention 2m height barriers on A roads but you can avoid them anyway on most toll-plaza's although you will miss out on the 30km rolling lane.
Sorry Jen I'm new to the subject too, what is "the 30km rolling lane." please ?

Sorry Jen I'm new to the subject too, what is "the 30km rolling lane." please ?

Hi Bill,

A lot of the French tolls have a lane that allows you to go through on a slow roll rather than stop and wait for the barrier to lift. The maximum speed on approaching the toll barrier is 30km, although in reality you will probably be down to about 15km before the barriers raise. From memory all of those lanes have a 2m height limit. The cali has no problem at all unless you have bits protruding above the roof - awning line.

We just did this trip mid Dec. from the UK to southern Spain. Like others have stated the 30km lanes all accommodated the Cali just fine and makes life so much easier. We stayed in campgrounds using the ACSI card and it worked just fine. I would say however that I think in the middle of winter I would probably use a hotel next time. In fact we are heading back to the UK here in another week or so and plan to use hotels just because we are fair weather campers ;)

They usually have the rolling lane at the extreme left & extreme right at the huge plazas - I think the biggest we've seen is something like 25 lanes wide.
There is a certain amount of satisfaction to be gained and a fair bit of time to save by being able to go past the huge queues of cars waiting to pay at the normal toll booths.

There is also a game of chicken to be played as to when to bottle out & hit the brakes as you get closer & closer to the barrier without hearing the beep from the tag that signals its been recognised.

This is far more fun than the old game where you had to wake up the co-driver, find a card that worked, searched for the ticket & got shouted at for not stopping within a few mm of the toll booth window that we used to play before we got the tag.

Saner Tag was very much appreciated when we had a couple of long days driving from Northern Spain to Brittany. My first experience and well impressed.

Mike

All the previous posts cover the Sanef tag very well and I agree its a great system. Also used it solo so its a great help there. The Cali is actually an easier vehicle to be solo in than a car as you can move across the cabin to get tickets, push buttons etc. Is a bit of a delay while you undo and replace seatbelt but much easier and quicker than having to get out of the vehicle like you would in a car.
What I have noticed in the travels I have done in France is that there are more and more height barriers on other car parks and those are usually 1.9m or less:(. Found this on car parks round the lakes of the Vosges and also at some supermarkets. So far always managed to find an alternative on the street or in coach/motorhome area.

Thanks, I will plan carefully for Rouen. I did it last time in a car and just followed my say nav so a bit more planing this time. Thanks too for info on toll-plazas.

We just did this trip mid Dec. from the UK to southern Spain. Like others have stated the 30km lanes all accommodated the Cali just fine and makes life so much easier. We stayed in campgrounds using the ACSI card and it worked just fine. I would say however that I think in the middle of winter I would probably use a hotel next time. In fact we are heading back to the UK here in another week or so and plan to use hotels just because we are fair weather campers ;)

I am a fair weather camper too. I have in the past traveled in Spain with the van but via Bilbao. I have travelled though France by car. I mainly stay in Ibis Budget and Ibis as parking is often good. Lots of Ibis Budgets have looked car parks but no restaurant and need to get there by 9pm as after that checking in is via a machine.

The advantage of a California is that it can be used to camp but is also small enough for hotels.

I have used the 30K lanes in Spain so thanks for info.

All the previous posts cover the Sanef tag very well and I agree its a great system. Also used it solo so its a great help there. The Cali is actually an easier vehicle to be solo in than a car as you can move across the cabin to get tickets, push buttons etc. Is a bit of a delay while you undo and replace seatbelt but much easier and quicker than having to get out of the vehicle like you would in a car.
What I have noticed in the travels I have done in France is that there are more and more height barriers on other car parks and those are usually 1.9m or less:(. Found this on car parks round the lakes of the Vosges and also at some supermarkets. So far always managed to find an alternative on the street or in coach/motorhome area.

I too have found that van is easier than car, I collect my husband for airports and always have to slide across for ticket. I also like having the sliding door for carparks. I have parked where I could not get out of drivers door.
I had problems with car parks less than 1.9m in Worcester where the sign to them does not say there are low till you are bout to drive in. I am getting good at 3 point turns. In Worcester need to park in lorry park.

Thanks for reminding me about supermarkets. Also in the car I have found that the kerbs are a problem as I am sitting on the wrong side.

At 2m you will be fine, just be aware if you use the vw bike rack that sticks up a bit higher!

Thanks, I carry my bike inside as I am only 5ft and have a girls bike. We have made a movable rack fitted to the floor and I take the fount wheel off.

Saner Tag was very much appreciated when we had a couple of long days driving from Northern Spain to Brittany. My first experience and well impressed.

Mike
Nice to see your van has awing too so I didn't need to worry about that. Have you used a car wash, in Spain I use the ones that you do yourself as not sure about going though the enclosed one with the awing attached.

They usually have the rolling lane at the extreme left & extreme right at the huge plazas - I think the biggest we've seen is something like 25 lanes wide.
There is a certain amount of satisfaction to be gained and a fair bit of time to save by being able to go past the huge queues of cars waiting to pay at the normal toll booths.

There is also a game of chicken to be played as to when to bottle out & hit the brakes as you get closer & closer to the barrier without hearing the beep from the tag that signals its been recognised.

This is far more fun than the old game where you had to wake up the co-driver, find a card that worked, searched for the ticket & got shouted at for not stopping within a few mm of the toll booth window that we used to play before we got the tag.

I remember those days. I also had the fun of having to get out of the car walk around the front and get beeped at by the people behind. Tags are defiantly better.

Hi Bill,

A lot of the French tolls have a lane that allows you to go through on a slow roll rather than stop and wait for the barrier to lift. The maximum speed on approaching the toll barrier is 30km, although in reality you will probably be down to about 15km before the barriers raise. From memory all of those lanes have a 2m height limit. The cali has no problem at all unless you have bits protruding above the roof - awning line.
Some of the tolls do have an overweight vehicle 30kmph Lane. Tends to be either extreme left or extreme right gate.

Back