• Thread starter Gazbibelots1860
  • Start date
Gazbibelots1860

Gazbibelots1860

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi,

This is a strange one as I can’t find anything else online about it. Has anyone ever had/heard any issues with the square nut that comes off the gas regulator cutting into the water tank? We recently bought the van (2011) second hand and I noticed that it was already done, maybe some careless fitting of gas bottles. But I wonder if, even with the wedge in place that the vibrations on the road cause the bottle to slowly rotate and the metal to scrape along the bottle, you can see the grooves are circular. I’m worried that we’ll end up cutting through the tank wall and need to replace the tank, the metal nut is pretty sharp really.

I don’t have a photo of ours but this is from the forum and I’ve highlighted the part in question.

Thanks

IMG_8476.jpeg

I found the same in mine when we bought it second hand too. That was 5 years ago.
I put some of the anti-slip drawer liner stuff behind the nut, and put the wedge down that side too. Making sure the bottle is rotated as much as possible to coil up the excess hose with the regulator angled down helps too and tends to hold the regulator in that position. There is a neoprene jacket that you can get for the bottles that would push it out slightly. I leave the nylon web mesh on it so haven't bothered with the jacket but a small bit of soft padding under the bottom edge of the bottle can also lift it away slightly. It is definitely a close precision fit!
Doing all of the above it hasn't got any worse in the years since.
Another option is to do away with the GOK altogether and use a standard 'disc' type camping gaz regulator although the GOK has the benefit of the pressure relief valve.

Last edited:
I found the same in mine when we bought it second hand too. That was 5 years ago.
I put some of the anti-slip drawer liner stuff behind the nut, and put the wedge down that side too. Making sure the bottle is rotated as much as possible to coil up the excess hose with the regulator angled down helps too and tends to hold the regulator in that position. There is a neoprene jacket that you can get for the bottles that would push it out slightly. I leave the nylon web mesh on it so haven't bothered with the jacket but a small bit of soft padding under the bottom edge of the bottle can also lift it away slightly. It is definitely a close precision fit!
Doing all of the above it hasn't got any worse in the years since.
Another option is to do away with the GOK altogether and use a standard 'disc' type camping gaz regulator although the GOK has the benefit of the pressure relief valve.
Brilliant thanks!

Back