Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fuel economy

But as discussed in another thread. You drive at 56mph.
Only when the law and traffic flow permits. The speed limit in the local borough is no more than 20 mph (three roads have a 30mph limit). I do make a point of trying to keep to local speed limits, alas with limited success.

Only when the law and traffic flow permits. The speed limit in the local borough is no more than 20 mph (three roads have a 30mph limit). I do make a point of trying to keep to local speed limits, alas with limited success.

So do I, in fact quite up my backside about it sometimes.

Got a letter from Thames Valley police two days ago, 36 in a 30 whilst trying to thread my way around places like Slough and Windsor avoiding a closed M25.

Really annoyed, at myself. Especially as my "6 points" brother in law is coming round for dinner tonight and I know he's going to rub my nose well in it :sad

For all the years we have had our Cali, it has been on average 36mpg over that time!
If it is used on a local shopping run of 2 + 2 miles, we expected if lucky due to hills, 28mpg summer,23mpg winter!
Best recording last year in Spain. Was from Bilbao across to Roses.
Going dn hill for miles and miles,the Trip computer recorded over 70mpg on average!
The computer is not bad for accuracy, tested it many years ago with the old method of filling fuel tank to the brim, running it dn and doing same!

Just drove 200 miles to Bristol and averaged 34 mpg

We’ve always kept a log of brimmed fill ups and out of interest I typed the data from our previous two Calis into the Road Trip app.

As regards the computer MFD display, I reset the long term figure when I fill up, and comparing it to the brimmed figure it is usual 1 - 2mpg optimistic.

Interesting that the 2018 204 DSG mpg is almost identical to the 2010 140 manual. It’s certainly much more fun to drive! The 180 4motion consumption was a bit disappointing in retrospect.

Cali SE 140 manual
AD2CC19F-70F6-4545-A484-71C98702BFC1.jpeg

Cali SE180 4motion
97586D24-7BA0-4FD4-8F5F-8482239392F5.jpeg

Current 204 SE
493407E5-11C0-4DFA-BE16-146577413008.jpeg

Last edited:
A bit unlucky that. Limit + 10% + 2mph is usually the threshold for police taking action. You were just 1mph over that threshold.
disagree.png
=====
A National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) spokesperson said in relation to the allowance: “The 10 per cent rule is allowed in guidance but it is not part of legislation.

“It is used as a rule of thumb for enforcement – 10 per cent over the speed limit plus 2mph.

“The thinking behind this, is to ensure that enforcement is proportionate.”

Speeding tolerances for motorists are applied for numerous reasons.
=====
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...s-2017-UK-10-percent-allowance-rule-explained

Not the most reliable of papers for information, but in this case I believe it to be true.

View attachment 41937
=====
A National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC) spokesperson said in relation to the allowance: “The 10 per cent rule is allowed in guidance but it is not part of legislation.

“It is used as a rule of thumb for enforcement – 10 per cent over the speed limit plus 2mph.

“The thinking behind this, is to ensure that enforcement is proportionate.”

Speeding tolerances for motorists are applied for numerous reasons.
=====
https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...s-2017-UK-10-percent-allowance-rule-explained

Not the most reliable of papers for information, but in this case I believe it to be true.

Not unlucky at all, if you break the speed limit even by 2mph you are breaking the law. Hence my "disagree" in post 54.
In France the tolerance is 1kph over and, if caught an on the spot fine and points on licence. And so it should be.

i have a thing about trying to get the best economy out of my 5 month old Ocean.
Yesterday I completed a 45 mile return journey and the fuel consumed showed 44.6 mpg. This was using the varied roads in the Scottish Highlands where I live, so the terrain was very mixed.some hills and 70% fairly level. I realise the van computer is probably not too accurate but never the less I was quite pleased with the results. It seems to average around 40 mpg according to the display. I guess I should check the mileage after topping the tank to get an accurate figure.

I've been driving my new 2018 Beach 102ps for just over 2 months, and have put nearly 5k miles in that time (I've been using it for work as well as personal). My best recorded mpg so far, by far, was on Friday doing a well-trodden 120mile route (mainly M4). The trip computer showed 55mpg average consumption at the end of the journey!! Admittedly, I was heading west on the M4 at rush hour, so it was a gentle lolloping journey with revs rarely exceeding 2,000 rpm. Still, unbelievable for a vehicle like this! More commonly, with less traffic, I'll see an average consumption reading around 40mpg for that journey.

i have a thing about trying to get the best economy out of my 5 month old Ocean.
Yesterday I completed a 45 mile return journey and the fuel consumed showed 44.6 mpg. This was using the varied roads in the Scottish Highlands where I live, so the terrain was very mixed.some hills and 70% fairly level. I realise the van computer is probably not too accurate but never the less I was quite pleased with the results. It seems to average around 40 mpg according to the display. I guess I should check the mileage after topping the tank to get an accurate figure.
I've been driving my new 2018 Beach 102ps for just over 2 months, and have put nearly 5k miles in that time (I've been using it for work as well as personal). My best recorded mpg so far, by far, was on Friday doing a well-trodden 120mile route (mainly M4). The trip computer showed 55mpg average consumption at the end of the journey!! Admittedly, I was heading west on the M4 at rush hour, so it was a gentle lolloping journey with revs rarely exceeding 2,000 rpm. Still, unbelievable for a vehicle like this! More commonly, with less traffic, I'll see an average consumption reading around 40mpg for that journey.
wow! I thought my figures were good, but not that good. Is the M4 all down hill?
Only kidding. It’s how you drive these vehicles that counts mainly.

Re kp64zi trip to Scotland - we have just done a similar trip from Midlands up to Caithness and back with plenty of city stops in it and the motorways at 70mph (on cruise control whenever traffic clear enough) in our 2yr old manual beach - got 43mpg for the trip. We have no awning or bike rack - perhaps drag is a factor? or I am just lucky! If I stick to 60mph I get high 40's

Wind resistance is a big factor in fuel consumption especially at higher speeds. Driving at 50mph with a 50mph tailwind will be very advantageous. Turn around, and drive into the wind, and the consumption will plummet.

AMARILLO’S TOP TIP
Check the local wind forecasts, and drive to a campsite wherever the wind might take you. Wait for a reversal in the wind direction before heading home.

if one wants to be really accurate, then find you local measured mile and check the accuracy (+/- %) of your odometer. This is best done by taking the average of 6 to 10 runs. Using this information, you can then accurately calculate your average fuel consumption every time you fill up. Alternatively, you could just make sure the vehicle is serviced & maintained properly and the tyre pressures are correct. All that is needed then is to just wang some fuel in when it needs it and enjoy the drive.:thumb

Not unlucky at all, if you break the speed limit even by 2mph you are breaking the law. Hence my "disagree" in post 54.
In France the tolerance is 1kph over and, if caught an on the spot fine and points on licence. And so it should be.
Fair point.

I agree John,

I am annoyed with myself, annoyed that I did not see the 30 sign. It's there for a reason.

Did they exclude depreciation?
I did say that the Bentley appreciated slightly in the cost calculations.

Incidentally my previous BMW depreciated at close to £1 per mile over 3 year ownership.

Wind resistance is a big factor in fuel consumption especially at higher speeds. Driving at 50mph with a 50mph tailwind will be very advantageous. Turn around, and drive into the wind, and the consumption will plummet.

AMARILLO’S TOP TIP
Check the local wind forecasts, and drive to a campsite wherever the wind might take you. Wait for a reversal in the wind direction before heading home.
How about tacking upwind?

I agree John,

I am annoyed with myself, annoyed that I did not see the 30 sign. It's there for a reason.
Get the Tom Tom camera App it tells you off every time you exceed the speed limit!

I did say that the Bentley appreciated slightly in the cost calculations.

Incidentally my previous BMW depreciated at close to £1 per mile over 3 year ownership.
Sorry, must have been asleep when I first read your post!

Another thing that messes up calculations is a heater, which isn't calculated in consumption in any way ;)

Also, the Fuel level gauge is just funky. I find it going down fast or than going back up like 5 liters while driving.
Usually joking to my wife that this is a new regeneration system that collects diesel from the air back into the tank :)

One more crazy observation. We are parked high in the mountains, computer says we have 40km left of fuel to go. Going downhill all the way to valley with the computer showing 0 consumption all the time.
At the bottom, we have 0km left after driving 30km downhill.
So does the engine still eat a lot of fuel on downhill or the computer is messed up?

Not the 1st time such weird observation. The engine was warm on start btw.

The best return I’ve had so far on my T6.
This was a motorway run. 73 one way and 80 the way back.
Very little urban miles on this tank.

I do wonder if I have a regen issue as the vans fan is constantly running on short journeys which I thought indicated a regen was running...?

2A6BA292-47A0-48DF-A636-27967D099303.jpeg

The best return I’ve had so far on my T6.
This was a motorway run. 73 one way and 80 the way back.
Very little urban miles on this tank.

I do wonder if I have a regen issue as the vans fan is constantly running on short journeys which I thought indicated a regen was running...?

View attachment 42415
Our fan runs quite a lot too. Interesting to see if others do.

Just a thought, you haven't got the app set to US gallons have you?
49FFE448-D843-4863-AB9C-A19993C08694.jpeg

Just double checked. Thanks
No, definitely set to miles/UK :thumb

Quite happy to finally hit 30mpg figures.

I would have thought urban miles would produce better mpg than motorway mileage.
Let’s face it, the Cali is like a brick cutting through the air on the motorway. It’s not what you would call aerodynamic.

Quite happy to finally hit 30mpg figures.
Next target - 40mpg.

I’ve hit that four times:
13 March 2018 between Argos and Alexandropolis (1013 Km between refills)
13/16 April 2018 between Brasov and Dubrovnik (two refills, one incomplete to dispose of Romanian currency, 1422 Km)
28 June 2018 including London to Tenby and back (1062 Km between refills)
26 November 2018 London to Derbyshire and back (1083 Km between refills)

Back