Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Has my trip computer also got a built in truth evader?

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
For nearly four years our 140PS Cali seems to consistently average 37 mpg (give or take decimal place fluctuations)
Recently on a trio to Gower it claims I was doing 42/43 mpg and since then it has stayed at 40/41 mpg
(and the amount of fuel in tank used /miles covered backs this up as not fanciful!)
Have the VW rogue software technicians been at work when programming the trip computer;)
(PS its a tongue in cheek question but it is a noticeable change in alleged mpg...:happy)

I've a sneaky feeling Dave that the automatic DPF regeneration can give your mpg an occasional boost and then a gradual drop back till the next regen, so revel in the extra miles in your tank, or have you polished your bus ? lol.

Rob H

I had the same sudden upward move recently. I did a trip recently and got 43mpg average which is higher than I've ever got o a short run, especially (as a lot of my miles are local). When regen is on, the mpg usually drops noticeably so it was definitely higher than my normal running.

Ive never believed what the trip was telling me. Always seemed way out. I usually compare average mileage per tank.
When new, I was getting around 425-445 miles per tank
3 years old and nearly 30k miles and I get around 500-525 and had one tank return almost 580 miles to a tank of fuel which I thought was really impressive considering the size and weight of a Cali:cool:

500 +, almost got to 550 before the Alarm and there was still 13L in the tank. 180 4Motion. The Dash computer says 30.2 consistently and I regret I don't toodle along.:thumb

Arrgghh! Sorry but it's a pet hate of mine to talk about fuel consumption like this!
Miles per tank has more to do with what you consider to be 'empty' than any other factor.
On the T4 forum these debates end up with "well it got me from home to the beach and back and still had half a tank" which is next to useless even if I knew where they lived and which beach they went to!
Can we stick with good old mpg, calculated with a calculator based on brim to brim top-ups? Not perfect but a whole lot more informative than the alternatives.
FYI - your fuel receipt reads litres, just divide by 4.546 to get gallons.

I should add, I sometimes amaze myself with my own fuel consumption..... Until I remember that my van reads km not miles..... So that will be 38mpg rather than 61 then....

Well based on Total fuel consumption over 5,350 miles - 30.3 mpg South Wales to Nordkapp and return and that was Tank full to Tank full on return. Vehicle had done about 4750 miles from new when I started the trip.

Arrgghh! Sorry but it's a pet hate of mine to talk about fuel consumption like this!
Miles per tank has more to do with what you consider to be 'empty' than any other factor.
On the T4 forum these debates end up with "well it got me from home to the beach and back and still had half a tank" which is next to useless even if I knew where they lived and which beach they went to!
Can we stick with good old mpg, calculated with a calculator based on brim to brim top-ups? Not perfect but a whole lot more informative than the alternatives.
FYI - your fuel receipt reads litres, just divide by 4.546 to get gallons.

The my fuel gauge reads half full is whole different cattle of fish. Always cracks me up when you hear someone has driven 450 miles and it still indicates they have half a tank left or 300 miles left on the range trip.
Another trip computer lie.

I usually only fill up when the light tells me to :rolleyes:

Back