Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front Splitter & Rear Spoiler On 6.1 Ocean YES or NO?

M

Marc_Fu

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hello Everyone! After what feels like an eternal wait, we are due to collect our new Ocean sometime in early March (pretty much a year to the week since ordering).

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on additions such as front splitters and rear spoilers? Mine is going to be in Indium Grey. Would love to hear peoples thoughts and if any photos are about?

Also if anyone knows of good places to purchase them?

Thank you for any advice in advance

Hello Everyone! After what feels like an eternal wait, we are due to collect our new Ocean sometime in early March (pretty much a year to the week since ordering).

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on additions such as front splitters and rear spoilers? Mine is going to be in Indium Grey. Would love to hear peoples thoughts and if any photos are about?

Also if anyone knows of good places to purchase them?

Thank you for any advice in advance
Hi @Marc_Fu
As @Meoncoast says it’s a purely personal decision. For me it was a yes for a front splitter (and grill strips). Although I like the look, I haven’t gone for a rear spoiler, because I don’t want to drill into the tailgate and don’t think I trust adhesive only. Transporter HQ has a range of spoliers/splitters and can fit for you.

FD956734-1D2D-4809-9435-A9A394830B66.jpeg

82B24C37-1AB4-4664-89C7-1A3D7809DC8F.jpeg

F2CA43F8-2BA1-4537-B6E9-289BE8F79B3A.jpeg

I actually quite like the front grill/splitter and rear spoiler on the new Sportline model Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 4.52.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 4.51.38 PM.png

Rear spoiler if not fitting a tailgate bike rack. Rear ABT rear spoiler permits a bike rack to be fitted but not such a subtle design.

front splitter, various ones now on the market again design varies as does cost.

Simple self fit and low cost front example, they also do a tailgate spoiler-

Personal choice is to have both front and rear spoilers/splitters.

On our previous beach t6 we had the sportline splitter and rear spoiler and I ended up removing the splitter as it just caused to many issues with ride height and clearance and wished I didn’t have a spoiler when I decided I wanted the tailgate bike rack later and couldn’t fit it without having to remove the spoiler and repair and paint the tailgate after

Thanks for the input everyone! I will be having a bike rack for sure, so I think the rear spoiler is a no go. Think I will look into the front splitter option as I do a lot of fishing and drive on some gnarly tracks I wouldn't want it to become un practical.

Thanks for the input everyone! I will be having a bike rack for sure, so I think the rear spoiler is a no go. Think I will look into the front splitter option as I do a lot of fishing and drive on some gnarly tracks I wouldn't want it to become un practical.
The track up to our fishing lake is littered with the remains of various spoilers and splitters. I'm a great believer that, given the understanding of aerodynamics these days, if they were really needed they'd be standard.

The track up to our fishing lake is littered with the remains of various spoilers and splitters. I'm a great believer that, given the understanding of aerodynamics these days, if they were really needed they'd be standard.
Question could be asked as to why the VW Sportline Van has both fitted by the Factory spec.

When choosing to fit a front splitter (T6) I avoided all of the types that needed painting (potential future repair costs) or reduced ground/kerb clearance.

I didn't factor in a neighbours Doberman trying to rip it off as it considers the road past its house as part of its Domain.

If a rear tailgate mounted bike rack is to be fitted then having bikes sticking up in the airflow pretty much defeats the purpose of a rear spoiler other than cosmetic reasons.

Question could be asked as to why the VW Sportline Van has both fitted by the Factory spec.

When choosing to fit a front splitter (T6) I avoided all of the types that needed painting (potential future repair costs) or reduced ground/kerb clearance.

I didn't factor in a neighbours Doberman trying to rip it off as it considers the road past its house as part of its Domain.

If a rear tailgate mounted bike rack is to be fitted then having bikes sticking up in the airflow pretty much defeats the purpose of a rear spoiler other than cosmetic reasons.
I’m pretty sure the rear spoiler on a transporter/California is purely comsmetic and offers no improved performance in corners or grip from downforce

I’m pretty sure the rear spoiler on a transporter/California is purely comsmetic and offers no improved performance in corners or grip from downforce
It would have some limited effect on drag. Not big enough to produce downforce of any significance.
Cali roof being higher than original van the air flow over the rear spoiler would suit the higher ABT design.
Agree mostly cosmetic, especially at most Cali speeds.

I don't think the point is downforce. Its more to do with reducing turbulence at the rear as the air passes over the bodywork by decreasing drag.

It's a no from me. I think the front spoiler is likely to hit a kerb at some point and that would really upset me. And again the rear spoiler prevents a tailgate bike rack. However they do look good.

If you get your hacksaw out you can have a rear spoiler (2/3’s of a spoiler) and a bike rack fitted.

See my thread here.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vw-bike-rack-spoiler-29er-bike-plus-a-dremel.29359/

I’m not sure I’d buy one just to cut it up to fit it though.

For me it’s a clear Y for any spoilers and any modifications- life’s too short to follow the herd.
Everyone has different needs and wants - do what makes you happy!

You get a splitter similar to, but smaller than GG's with the sports pack.
I went for a spoiler almost entirely for the look, but it might help keep the back window clear of rain in certain conditions when camping? I'm sure it has zero effect on driving performance. I had a £500 credit from VW to spend, so it is dealer fittedIMG-8578.jpg and I carry bikes on the tow bar, so no problem and a better view out than a tailgate bike rack.
spolier bike rack.jpg

Back