Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

From Caddy Cali to the real thing??

Ruby Mouse

Ruby Mouse

Vehicle
N/A
I have LOVED my caddy camper - it converted me to the benefits of in-house design: SO many clever little details. Sadly the camper met with an accident in Bucharest and has had to be left there. So what now? My first thought was the new Caddy California but sadly too many of the little details I loved in the earlier design have gone - I don't know if it's cost cutting but some of the changes just seem bewilderingly bad. Now I'm thinking of a California. My main questions are about whether it's much, much bigger to drive? - on paper it's only a few centimetres but it looks so huge next to my little caddy. And whether it's worth rustling up the extra cash for a T6.1 over a T6. My own experience shows that changes aren't always 'progress' but are there little details you love about the 6.1 that make it worth the extra cash? My thoughts were that the upstairs springs and darker canvas would be advantages but the T6 might have other things that were lost. Is it worth considering a 5.1?

I need to think it through as being without a car is driving me mad and it would be my only car as was the caddy before it.

I agree that the new Caddy Camper lacks so much that the 1st model did.
Having driven a Balingo van for many years I only found the height of the transporter was the only real adaptation I had to consider. Go for DSG and a Cali T6 is an easy drive.

Last edited:
Altough I am biased, I certainly would recommend a late (2019) T6. It has all the upgrades needed and the driving cab is way better than T6.1 in terms of feel/touch but especially storage compartments.
The T6.1 has a fancier Camping unit (once the many bugs are resolved) and froli system instead of wooden slats on the upstairs bed (upgrade possible on T6 anyway). Other changes t6/t6.1 are minors and of subjective advantage, like the possibility to partially lift the partial shelves but having the relevant protruding mechanism in the boot. New fancies latches which already received complaints for breaking down.

The T5/6/6.1 are certainly viable as everyday cars. Of course the Caddy is nippier, the T5/6/6.1 more "van" , more bulky, but for a comparison it is smaller than a Audi Q7 , just taller. But it is a world of difference in the habitation when you go camping as opposed to a Caddy.

nd whether it's worth rustling up the extra cash for a T6.1 over a T6. My own experience shows that changes aren't always 'progress' but are there little details you love about the 6.1 that make it worth the extra cash? My thoughts were that the upstairs springs and darker canvas would be advantages but the T6 might have other things that were lost. Is it worth considering a 5.1?

I need to think it through as being without a car is driving me mad and it would be my only car as was the caddy before it.
Its not just the little improvements, a major thing when comparing, is what comes as standard on a T6.1 that would have been an option on a T6, a T6.1 with zero options will have more on it than even a highly specified T6

Things that were options on a T6 that are standard on T6.1 Ocean

Satnav
CarPlay
DAB
Adaptive cruise
Reversing camera
LED headlights
3 zone aircon
awning
Privacy glass
additional lighting in pop top

Other improvements
The digital dash (some may disagree!)
We connect
Bed springs
Reclining downstairs bed / lifting shelf for access to boot
USB charging sockets
300w UK plug inverter
Extra pockets on back of front seats
electric steering
Darker canvas
Panoramic opening to front of canvas (later T6 had this)
Sliding doors to rear cupboards instead of tambour doors
Camping mode, lets you open doors etc without lights coming on
Side wind assist
No rubber bits to fall out of lower bed base

Last edited:
All really helpful points so far.

- "I agree that the new Caddy Camper lacks so much that the 1st model did."

Yes. One of the best things about mine was flinging the tailgate open in the morning and enjoying the view over coffee. In the new one you'd need to hurl yourself off the bed through the side door in your knickers and run to open the tailgate from the outside first. In the rain, in the cold, before coffee!!

photo_2023-07-02 19.58.31.jpeg

It's good to know the springs could be retrofitted as well. I like a good sleep. And good to know sat nav is included on the 6.1 as GPS can be really patchy in parts of europe. The width of the bigger model might be scary at first but it feels way bigger inside.

Yes. One of the best things about mine was flinging the tailgate open in the morning and enjoying the view over coffee. In the new one you'd need to hurl yourself off the bed through the side door in your knickers and run to open the tailgate from the outside first. In the rain, in the cold, before coffee!!

You cant open the Ocean boot from inside either. You can however open the front of the roof if you sleep upstairs.

View attachment 110566

It's good to know the springs could be retrofitted as well. I like a good sleep. And good to know sat nav is included on the 6.1 as GPS can be really patchy in parts of europe. The width of the bigger model might be scary at first but it feels way bigger inside.
Why not buy an older caddy and make a camper. If you’re set on Cali then I would work out what you feel comfortable spending. Don’t worry if it’s a T5/T6etc
I’ve had homemade conversion, calis and westy club jokers I would say anything can take you to them amazing spaces.
If a cheaper van can give you more adventures there’s your answer.

Why not buy an older caddy and make a camper. If you’re set on Cali then I would work out what you feel comfortable spending. Don’t worry if it’s a T5/T6etc
I’ve had homemade conversion, calis and westy club jokers I would say anything can take you to them amazing spaces.
If a cheaper van can give you more adventures there’s your answer.
I'd definitely have the same van again but the official VW camper is impossible to get hold of. Only about 73 like mine were sold in the UK. And I just lack the skills to come close to replicating it myself. I've been in this forum for 4 or 5 years because I spend so much time in my van - 5 months last year - and always thought I'd upgrade to a full size California next. Decisions aren't my strong point I guess.

I won't go over the points others have mentioned, however, I will say that driving the T6 Ocean (DSG) is a breeze - and I'm 5'3 and 8 stone! It's our only vehicle now too, we got rid of the car as the Cali is soooo much nicer to drive. We've had ours 5 years now and I don't think the height has ever been an issue. As others have said, the extra camping/living space over the caddy would be a big bonus for you too.

Let us know what you decide :)

Have found the T6 ocean is an easy and pleasurable drive, (5 foot one), getting in the front door is challenging in tight spaces, but you can always use the sliding door. the beds are a bit firm but toppers are available. Only big thing to consider is parking, started using it as a daily driver and first 2 car parks got 2 small dents in side door.
It is a boon when camping, when it rains you don’t have to leave the van if you carry an onboard , great for night time too!
I would say go for it as you are spending so much time away.

Been driving for over 50 years, so you know I’m not 17, driven ‘all sorts’ of vehicles, 5ft 5 in and 59 kgs so not a powerhouse and the Cali ( ours is a 2019 T6 Ocean ) is a dream to drive, remembering it’s a van, but a must for me was the reversing camera.
Happy adventures in whatever you choose.

Back