Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

French hook ups

E

etherbeliever

Hello All

I hope you don't mind me asking a stupid question. I'm pretty new to the campervanning community so you'll probably roll your eyes at my ineptitude. Anyway, I am planning to pinch my dad's California to go the Alps with the bikes in the summer. We've used the electrical hookup in the UK a number of times with no problems. When I've been booking campsites in France they've stated a 6A hookup. Can anyone tell me if this is compatible with the California? It's an 11 plate, with no mods if that helps. Also any other "idiots guide" information that you could point me in the direction of, I will be most grateful. eg will the hookup lead that I've used in this country work in France, I also read something about reversed polarity and polarity checkers in your Electrical Section, but pardon the pun it's all rather French to me! I just want to make sure that I don't break my dad's pride and joy!

Cheers

Andrew and Katie

Hi Andrew, Hi Katie.
Welcome to the club.
I am afraid that I don't know the answer, but we do have some experienced french and european explorers on the forum who should be able to give you a definitive answer.
Please pop into the aintroductions area and say Hi here too.
Is you dad a member?
Luke

Hi Andrew and welcome to the club

6A will be fine for a Cali, they sometimes offer different ratings in France with a supplement but it is only really aimed at larger motorhomes where they are using more power hungry devices. 6A will be fine to run your fridge, lights boil an electric kettle etc.. We have even got away with 2A on some sites.

You will also need to make sure you take with you an Euro lead adapter ( some older sites still use these ) and a polarity tester to check which way the hook up is wired. Both of these cab be purchased at most caravan accessory shops for a few pound.

There is also some more information here: http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=887&p=6221&hilit=polarity#p6221

Also link to continental adapter http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/Caravan-Motorhome-Mains-Continental-Adaptor.html

ditto on the polarity tester - lots of chat on the t4/5 forum about that problem causing much confusion!

My 2010 Cali came with a euro adapter so you should have one already.

OK cool, thanks all.

I think I've got more of feel for what this is all about. So there are basically three hookup types (UK style, French Style and German Style). I need a lead, or least an adapter to hook up to each. Thereafter use the polarity tester to check the polarity is the correct way round and use a converter where it's not. Then the Amps question is simply how hungry I am for power (mwah ha ha) and 6A is enough for all we'll be doing. So it looks like happy days!

:thanks

P.S. Skywalker, nah my dad isn't a member. Shall we say he isn't the most proficient internet user.

Hi there with regards to the adapters I will be supplying polarity testers and leads on the website
In the near future. :thumb

I went to four different campsites in Europe last year - France, Germany, Italy and Spain and they all had the standard electrical plug ins - seems most have been updated now :thumb