Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging starter battery on hookup

briwy

briwy

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Can anyone tell me for certain if the starter battery is charged when on hookup. I've just checked the voltage with and without the hookup and it appears to be the same so I'm assuming that it isn't.

Also, has anyone altered the wiring so that the 12v dash socket and the radio run off the leisure batteries rather than the starter battery. I can't see that it would be a difficult job but just a bit concerned that it would cause the Canbus to throw a wobbler?
We spend a considerable time without a hookup and I'm concerned that using the radio and the socket over a few days will flatten the starter battery.
We had this happen in France in the Bongo after I stupidly forgot to alter the switches on the Zig unit so I rewired it so that everything ran from the leisure battery and also charged the starter battery on hookup.

It all depends upon what year your Cali is, post 2007 should charge both the starter and the leisure from hook up.

It's easy enough to wire the dash socket and the stereo from the leisure, particularly on the earlier models, just be a little care that you don't simply end up connecting the leisure to the starter and risk flattening both.

Have a word with VolksVans (Mark) on here and I'm sure he could sort you out,

Rgds
M

Ok thanks for the reply. Cali is 2011 so should be ok
Im fine with the wiring just wanted tobe sure it wouldnt upset the canbus
Brian

Check out a chap (Marytn) who has a business called 'Travel Volts' - he is a Transporter guru and has products to help with all electrical needs - plus a great phone service if stuck

Hi mines a 2006 had it from new and I have the problem of flat starter battery. My solution is to use a Cetek battery charger or any other small unit, fed from the internal 240v socket into the fag lighter this works a treat especially if you are pitched on a hook up for more than a couple of days. I also use this setup at home when the vans parked keeps all the batteries tip top

Hi mines a 2006 had it from new and I have the problem of flat starter battery. My solution is to use a Cetek battery charger or any other small unit, fed from the internal 240v socket into the fag lighter this works a treat especially if you are pitched on a hook up for more than a couple of days. I also use this setup at home when the vans parked keeps all the batteries tip top
Do you have to plug it into the fag lighter to charge or can you go
straight into the starter battery.

Back