Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ford having a go at a Caravelle

Ugly looking thing though :rofl :rofl :rofl

I can't see Ford offering a camper - the California is sold in part because Vw has a camper heritage to draw upon.

That said Mercedes sell the Marco Polo on mainland Europe so who knows.

There was a version of this in the previous gen Transit. I think it's Ford just trying to convince people you can have a car like drive in a van. Also remember the S Max has been a huge success for Ford so it's not a bad time to hope for a bit of halo effect on its other people movers.

I do think as modern vans become easier to drive and own then it makes sense to tap into the car market. Plus, unlike VW you can buy a Ford van in their car dealerships which might make the experience more palatable for some buyers.

James

I didn't think it looked too bad, different certainly with the upward 'slash' of the windows to the rear :crazy

Just wonder if it 'might' be a wake up call for VW to get on and modernise the Velle & T5 to T6 properly?

MickyBlue said:
I didn't think it looked too bad, different certainly with the upward 'slash' of the windows to the rear :crazy

Just wonder if it 'might' be a wake up call for VW to get on and modernise the Velle & T5 to T6 properly?

I think the current t5/t6 works well because the styling is not over fussy. I've seen a new Transit and the design just looks like it is trying too hard.

A van will always be big and have to be square. VW have done well to use that as a styling strength. Take the lights on the facelift - nicely styled.

There's a tendency to try and put slashes and swathes lines on vans but the best staying tends to be subtle.

In some areas VW could update - the rear perhaps but I like the styling

James

MickyBlue said:
Sorry maybe it should be T7 then rather than T6 :? ( I thought we were only on T5.1 currently)

I lose track lol

T5/T6 - transporter - it's a VW Badge - that's all I know!

James :)

The Transit Tourneo isn't anything new.

The Transit is a commercial vehicle, while the Ford Tourneo, however, is an 8 or 9 seat minibus entirely based on the Transit featuring back seats and back windows as an ordinary car. Both the Tourneo and Transit run on parallel, so if for instance there is a new/facelifted Transit introduced, the Tourneo will get the same. The Tourneo is also considered an executive transport vehicle and is often supplied with alloy wheels. The Ford Tourneo was introduced in the 1995. A smaller, minivan version of the Tourneo, called the Ford Tourneo Connect, was introduced in 2002, based on the Ford Transit Connect.

Wiki

Stu said:

The Transit is a commercial vehicle, while the Ford Tourneo, however, is an 8 or 9 seat minibus entirely based on the Transit featuring back seats and back windows as an ordinary car. Both the Tourneo and Transit run on parallel, so if for instance there is a new/facelifted Transit introduced, the Tourneo will get the same. The Tourneo is also considered an executive transport vehicle and is often supplied with alloy wheels. The Ford Tourneo was introduced in the 1995. A smaller, minivan version of the Tourneo, called the Ford Tourneo Connect, was introduced in 2002, based on the Ford Transit Connect.

Wiki

I looked at one of these before the Beach - which might seem strange - I'd driven a Transit on a trip up to Yorkshire and they were quite nice to drive. They use to the Tourneo in GLX only trim - typical Ford.

There is always a market for these types of vehicles - the question, and this is what led me in part to the Beach, how multi purpose are they, I get the 'going away adventures' with the Beach, and I like that, that's a genuine difference to my life.

I think it will sell quite well, if you had a large family, it's hard to argue with the carrying and load capabilities.

It's just, for me, so dull.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

James

......ford and transit in their own are ok as words but together don't paint a pretty picture outside building van or slow uncomfortable noisy taxi ..... Pmsl
Big belly suck back through your teeth and rub your chin while saying thats going to cost alot love white van man ( basically )

Lol

Stu said:

Wiki

Maybe its the way they are marketing it that is then, or maybe just they 'are actually marketing it' (if that makes sense)

I have seen a pop top transit camper conversion and it wasn't pretty in any way shape or form.

There are Westfalia conversions on Ford Transits, very popular in Germany, called a Nugget. They used to be sold over here by Roy Wood Transits (no relation to wizard for those as old as me). Have seen a few around and quite liked the high top version but it is tall. The new Westfalia VW Club Joker uses the same layout. I especially liked the seating arrangement and the provision of sliding doors on both sides, standard on both raising roof and hightop (not on the VW unfortunately). Great to sit in on a hot day with both doors open.

Roy Wood now do their own conversions on transits but they are more of a day van type, still with cooking facilities and beds, for occasional use not serious camping.If you are going to the NEC Caravan & Motorhome show, Roy Wood will have the new transit on the stand.

I agree with Mike, I think it looks quite good and certainly the drive will be good.
Competition is always welcome, I read in the paper this morning that Wellhouse have sold one of their Hyundai i800 campers to a chap in New Zealand. Hyundai are thinking about selling the Wellhouse conversion through their dealers.

Hubert

Looking at trading in the 180 Cali then Hurbert ..???!

Hubert said:
There are Westfalia conversions on Ford Transits, very popular in Germany, called a Nugget. They used to be sold over here by Roy Wood Transits (no relation to wizard for those as old as me). Have seen a few around and quite liked the high top version but it is tall. The new Westfalia VW Club Joker uses the same layout. I especially liked the seating arrangement and the provision of sliding doors on both sides, standard on both raising roof and hightop (not on the VW unfortunately). Great to sit in on a hot day with both doors open.

Roy Wood now do their own conversions on transits but they are more of a day van type, still with cooking facilities and beds, for occasional use not serious camping.If you are going to the NEC Caravan & Motorhome show, Roy Wood will have the new transit on the stand.

I agree with Mike, I think it looks quite good and certainly the drive will be good.
Competition is always welcome, I read in the paper this morning that Wellhouse have sold one of their Hyundai i800 campers to a chap in New Zealand. Hyundai are thinking about selling the Wellhouse conversion through their dealers.

Hubert

i did wonder what Roy Wood was doing these days - I haven't heard much out of him recently - though every year we are treated to that bloody xmas song of his :boohoo

it's no surprise he's gone into the camping market - he looked camp in 1973 :) 'Wizzard' idea.

Lee - I 'd like to see a Transot Berghaus - bet you would too :barmy :barmy :barmy :barmy :barmy :laugh2 :laugh2 :laugh2

James

Well it seems this is a whole new model of transit due for launch on November, and the transit custom version here gets a very good first drive report.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/transit/59990/ford-transit-custom

Really like this intelligent use of tech

5-ford-transit-rear-view-mirror.jpg

Actually really like the look of it as a panel van, & think as 'Kombi type' vehicle with a single row of rear seats & windows in the sliding doors it will look really good

4-ford-transit-profile.jpg

choplee said:
Looking at trading in the 180 Cali then Hurbert ..???!

No, even though it's a DSG and totally uncontrollable at low speed :lol:

BUT, I like to keep a totally open mind regarding campers. Some of the conversions done in this country have some good ideas.
I particularly liked the Jerbas I saw at the NEC last year - diesel hob so no need to worry about running out of gas (not a furnace so shouldn't run out of diesel) and they also hide the electrical socket by hingeing the plastic trim between the rear light cluster and bumper, very neat.
If only they could be on the same base vehicle as the Cali, but then the cost would be prohibitive.

Hubert

I've had my eye on this for a few months now sent off for a brochure and everything.
I really like it its a brand new vehicle (sadly apart from the engines i think which are carried over from the original transit). Very modern looking which appeals to me and i have a dealer on my doorstep who were superb when i had my focus, could certainly teach a lot of vw dealers a thing or two about customer service.
When i change my transporter in a couple of years I'll certainly be taking a close look, i bet discounts will be better than what vw can offer as well.

Decent vehicles are Transits.

Easy to slate the competition but there's some good stuff out there. Mostly because none of it has DSG ;) :lol: :lol:

Here we go again.....back to slating DSG....yawn...........

Now I'm going out on a limb here but.. I'm guessing that Kernowlas is the one that is good at PR...

;)

BerndRos said:
Here we go again.....back to slating DSG....yawn...........

Your sense of humour just called.

It wondered if it might be able to move back soon?

Come on lads, it's about 10 to one on the manual/DSG thing, I get endless flack for my views. Am I not allowed to have a bit of a laugh? You know my real views anyway.

Cali - you're getting cheekier by the day...

You want to see me when I'm drunk.

Yes, you can have a laugh. But so can the rest of us...

Back