Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First weekend away report and questions

Y

ymfb

Just returned from a weekend away in the Cali. The main purpose was to check everything worked and see if we need anything additional or different.

We went to Pratshayes Farm just outside Exmouth as we have stayed there previously and know the facilities and local area, just to reduce the problems.

Khyam Motordome gets jammed in sliding door, making it difficult to open/close. Further investigation required but all suggestions welcome.

Hands free microphone fell off, which was good because the overhead sunglasses bin has been discovered. Dealer may have to move mic.

Kenwood satnav locked up looking for satellites, maybe related to poor radio reception, possibly poor aerial.

Kenwood unit creaks and is noisy in housing.

We suffered a bit on the hard bed even with the expensive ZoneSleep, we will need to do something.

Apart from the above niggles generally all went well.

Re the Motordome; do you have a fitted awning? We tend to wind the awning out a few inches. It helps to tension our motordome by giving a little room for adjustment. It also leaves an easy gap for the door (it doe mean there is a bit of a gap between the awning and van but I don't like the awning rubbing up against the paint anyway!)

Good feedback regarding the Kenwood, I have been considering upgrading and that is certainly something to look out for (although I've never heard anyone mention it before so it may be that you've been particularly unlucky here).

Are you referring to the upper or lower bed? We rarely sleep up top. Downstairs (!) I've found that it makes a difference how far you push the sliding part of the bed up against the fixed bit - it needs a little bit of pressure but not too much as it acts like a techtonic plate... also, sliding down an inch in the bed can make quite a difference as the lumpy bit tends to coincide with my lower back! We have a 2" memory foam topper from Raskelf and that is brilliant.

I find it takes a night or two to get used to the bed in the Cali or any bed come to think of it
Nothing like your own bed :thumb

Sounds like most of your problems are with the Kenwood head unit and its installation, so a quick return to the dealer should fix that.

Some of us have retrofitted bluetooth kits and you can get a pukka bit of trim for the Cali to hide the microphone - Part number V7H0-858-122A-Y20 - it is specifically designed for the official VW microphone, but it might be possible to rig it up to receive the kenwood microphone which will make it totally stelth (and won't fall off).

Pictures can be found here: http://www.vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=293

We have just purchased a 2" memory foam topper after our first weekend away, so we will try again next weekend.

Tony

Calikev said:
I find it takes a night or two to get used to the bed in the Cali or any bed come to think of it
Nothing like your own bed :thumb

It's not the first night we have slept in the camper and I spend many nights in strange hotel beds travelling around the world. Also we have been camping as a family for ten years in both our old type 2 and tents. So in a nutshell I'm used to sleeping around a bit :D

I have the Kenwood and my mic is in the door pillar - did they not fit yours there?

Jamea

U have a wind out awning bolted to the side of the Cali ??

Which way round do people sleep ? We have been with our heads at the tailgate end and on the bottom.

choplee said:
U have a wind out awning bolted to the side of the Cali ??

Yes we have the one fitted by VW, not sure if there are variations but ours is manual.

Back