Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip abroad, fridge issue!!!!

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
5A4E981B-ADBE-4030-BBFF-04056D98EE97.jpeg Hi all, so after a year of ownership, we are on our first trip abroad, on the ferry to the UK.
It’s been a busy few weeks getting the Cali ready and packed.
The fridge has started to play up, a few weeks ago it wouldn’t switch on, then after a while of playing around with it and changing the fuse, it decided to switch on. Strange though, the fuse wasn’t blown, so it must have been a coincidence that it switches on again.!!
However it’s decided to switch off and not come back on again!
I’ve checked the fuse and it’s okay.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Regards Padraic.

My guess is the control box has shat itself.

If you search on the fridge repair thread I posted last year there is a easy diagnosis, if memory serves it’s just a link between two pins on the connector. That should get the compressor running.

Where are you?
I have a spare I could post to you to try.

Oh, check the obvs, leisure battery more than 10.5v?

Has the fridge got its own control box? If so, is it located under the fridge?
I’ll search for that tread you posted last year, go a read.
I’m on the ferry to the uk, then going to the campsite at the Goodwood festival of speed until Monday morning.
Yea leisure battery is above 12v at the moment.

Yes. The box sits on the side of the compressor. Dead easy. Remove the fridge panel and it’s right there.

What fridge Do you have?
Was it plugged into your leisure battery when it messed about?
What is the state of charge of your leisure battery?

I apologise as I don't know much about camping fridges or the T4 California electrics but it has occurred to me that some fridges have a built in protection device that will make the unit cut out or not start if the leisure battery drops below a certain charge level. Could that be your issue?

It does sound as if the your problem is more complicated than this but it might be worth ruling this out first before looking further.

Good luck and have a grand tour.

Gorgeous van BTW.

Last edited:
What fridge Do you have?
Was it plugged into your leisure battery when it messed about?
What is the state of charge of your leisure battery?

I apologise as I don't know much about camping fridges or the T4 California electrics but it has occurred to me that some fridges have a built in protection device that will make the unit cut out or not start if the leisure battery drops below a certain charge level. Could that be your issue?

It does sound as if the your problem is more complicated than this but it might be worth ruling this out first before looking further.

Good luck and have a grand tour.

Gorgeous van BTW.
Thank you Borris, we love the van.
Yes I believe the fridge is run off the leisure battery, but it was working yesterday when I left home, then after a four hour drive the fridge had stopped working. So the leisure battery is well charged up.
I don’t know the exact make and model of fridge.

The fridge unit is identical to the T5.

View attachment 35412 Hi all, so after a year of ownership, we are on our first trip abroad, on the ferry to the UK.
It’s been a busy few weeks getting the Cali ready and packed.
The fridge has started to play up, a few weeks ago it wouldn’t switch on, then after a while of playing around with it and changing the fuse, it decided to switch on. Strange though, the fuse wasn’t blown, so it must have been a coincidence that it switches on again.!!
However it’s decided to switch off and not come back on again!
I’ve checked the fuse and it’s okay.
Any ideas or suggestions?
Regards Padraic.
Any fridge related symbols, flashing or otherwise on the Central Electronics display?

I think it’s this that bypasses the control box and runs the compressor.

BBBAA12B-0577-4DFC-978D-25ACE85A135E.png

Thank you Borris, we love the van.
Yes I believe the fridge is run off the leisure battery, but it was working yesterday when I left home, then after a four hour drive the fridge had stopped working. So the leisure battery is well charged up.
I don’t know the exact make and model of fridge.
Have you actually checked the leisure battery voltage? Does your van have a digital read out?We have a digital voltage tester which plugs into the 12v sockets. It's a quick and easy way of keeping a eye on the leisure battery condition.

Any fridge related symbols, flashing or otherwise on the Central Electronics display?
The last time it started giving trouble, I noticed the fridge on symbol on the panel blinking slowly once or twice. But not blinking continually.

Have you actually checked the leisure battery voltage? Does your van have a digital read out?We have a digital voltage tester which plugs into the 12v sockets. It's a quick and easy way of keeping a eye on the leisure battery condition.
Not checked it, just going by the readout on the display.

The last time it started giving trouble, I noticed the fridge on symbol on the panel blinking slowly once or twice. But not blinking continually.
Sounds like it was an intermittent fault that's now become a fault. Most likely what @sidepod suggests. The PDF I have also suggests it's worth checking the Orange wire for a ground fault.

Sounds like it was an intermittent fault that's now become a fault. Most likely what @sidepod suggests. The PDF I have also suggests it's worth checking the Orange wire for a ground fault.
Also, to test whether the compressor is at fault you can start it directly by bridging the pink and red/blue lines.

So I guess as a Work-around, if you can frig it out with a link and get it running then at least you can switch it on / off manually to get you through the trip.

The most important thing is cold beer.

As an aside, I think there’s a gap in the market for a Cali Call-out tech.
Nice job I reckon.

Second thoughts, you’d probably spend all your time sorting T5/6 roof fails

Ouch :Iamsorry

Okay, off the ferry and checked a few things.
Found a loose connection where the fuse is. I should be able to sort that when we get to the campsite later.

Thank you so much to everyone for your fast responses and help,

Oh yeah, meant to say check the obvs first.......honest. :D

Oh yeah, meant to say check the obvs first.......honest. :D
Yea, it was the first thing I checked today and the last time it happened.
Must have shaken it back in to place when checking it the first time I saw this issue.
It’s not the fuse, but rather the connection tonor from the fuse.

Cheers. Good stuff. Van looks lush. :cheers

Glad to see your fridge top doesn’t align with the cooker top. Drives me nuts!!!