Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First Thread Nerves

K

Kevin Wood

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Good evening from Edinburgh, we the Wood family are considering purchasing a VW California in the latter part of this year or early 2016.

The forum looks friendly and very informative, to that end we thought it would be useful place to seek advice as we seriously consider purchasing a California.

Kevin

You have come to a great place. Welcome and ask away. There is a lot to learn and a lot of people willing to help you.

No need to feel nervous. I am a veteran of 18 months Cali ownership and before I bought I came here and asked all the silly questions under the sun. The result was that I made an informed choice that not for even one second have I regretted.

Welcome :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hi Kevin and welcome. You will find lots of great info on here and we found David Millar at VW Commercials in Edinburgh really helpful when we were looking to buy.

we the Wood family are considering purchasing a VW California
Once the idea is in your head the deed will inevitably follow, sooner or later :D

I hope you find the forum useful, good luck in your deliberations :thumb

Colibn

:DHi and welcome , while waiting it will be very intresting reading here .
Getting to know the Cali is much more than reading the manual , or listening to the dealer when the key gets in you hands....
Think you do good to wait a while to order the socalled T6 , would not want one of the first out of the factory...considering what kind of defaults some get one a T5 thats years in production:D

Hi and welcome. All questions accepted here. :)

Steve

If you want to see one in detail I am in Edinburgh and have a 2014 SE.

Welcome, yes I can only echo the fact that this forum is incredibly friendly and helpful. As has already been stated, once the idea is in your head you will end up getting a Cali I am sure. We went through a similar process, hired one for a week loved it, put off the inevitable, had a second child, put off the inevitable again, but then 2 months ago took the plunge and have loved every second so far.

Welcome to the forum.

That's good advice from John Richards. We also hired a Cali for a long weekend, and endured torrential rain and a massive thunderstorm. We still enjoyed ourselves despite that, so decided to go ahead and buy one. We have had some great adventures over the last two years, and I would say with confidence that it is the best money we have ever spent.

You will love the vehicle, but we were rather naïve about campsites. We had never camped before, and found that we didn't really enjoy campsites that much. Now we tend to wild camp, or stay on small campsites or CLs, wherever possible, which suit us much better. I appreciate that we are a little strange in this regard, as most people seem to be perfectly happy on large campsites. If you are already campers, then the Cali will seem like total luxury!

Simon

Thank you all for all the positive feedback, the conundrum will be seeing the T6 variants. Is there anywhere we can go to research the T6?

I think the tip from John regarding hiring one, will be the initial way ahead. NZ Col we may take you up on your kind offer, in the very near future, thank you.

Hi Kevin and welcome. You will find lots of great info on here and we found David Millar at VW Commercials in Edinburgh really helpful when we were looking to buy.
I will second that. I bought Victor Van from David a couple of weeks ago and he was hugely helpful. I'm in love with my fab vehicle purchased exactly 40 years after I sold my last one!

I will second that. I bought Victor Van from David a couple of weeks ago and he was hugely helpful. I'm in love with my fab vehicle purchased exactly 40 years after I sold my last one!
Update - I was told a few days ago that David Millar will be leaving the VW dealership in Edinburgh this coming week, a pity, as he was really knowledgeable about he Cali and very helpful too.

I tried a hire before you buy scheme too...just forgot to try everything...have never slept upstairs!
I hired a t5 from North berwick.
Now have my own van....I used pinterest to source ideas....what fun it is to find mini sizes of everything! Pinterest name is Freda Simons...yep, I went overboard! Must now work out what works and what to ditch....delemma this year: to porta potti or not?! Also to use sleeping bag or duvet....?!
Have fun....may pass you once you buy..I'm off to North berwick this weekend!
Ps David was very helpful to me too!

Back