Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First tentative steps

R

Richardofyorks

Vehicle
Looking to buy
My Mrs. has always hankered after a camper, and we've hired a Splitty and a T2 and are now thinking of ordering a new T6 Ocean. As we'd probably keep it for 10 yrs plus it seems to make sense to go for a decent spec. DSG would be a 'must have' and probably 4WD too but unless I've misread the literature that means we'd have to have the 204hp engine (nice but a fair bit more expensive), I can't find anything that says you can have a 150 hp DSG 4Motion. Am I right or have I missed something?
Are there any options that through experience others have come to find are 'must haves'? Sat nav would have to be one, for me anyway!
Does the T6 come with built in window blinds or do you have to fit curtains or blinds yourself? And does it come with a windscreen cover? Basic questions I know and the answers are probably out there in the forum somewhere, but I thought I'd ask!

Welcome to the Forum.
I'm sure some T6 owners will be along shortly to answer your questions.
The California Ocean has built in blinds/covers for all windows, windscreen included.

My Mrs. has always hankered after a camper, and we've hired a Splitty and a T2 and are now thinking of ordering a new T6 Ocean. As we'd probably keep it for 10 yrs plus it seems to make sense to go for a decent spec. DSG would be a 'must have' and probably 4WD too but unless I've misread the literature that means we'd have to have the 204hp engine (nice but a fair bit more expensive), I can't find anything that says you can have a 150 hp DSG 4Motion. Am I right or have I missed something?
Are there any options that through experience others have come to find are 'must haves'? Sat nav would have to be one, for me anyway!
Does the T6 come with built in window blinds or do you have to fit curtains or blinds yourself? And does it come with a windscreen cover? Basic questions I know and the answers are probably out there in the forum somewhere, but I thought I'd ask!
This might help.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/at-last-a-vw-cali-configurator.14312/

Welcome
Just taken delivery of Ocean 150 DSG. You are correct the DSG 4 motion is only available in 204.
My husband really enjoyed using the adaptive cruise & DSG on the journey home. Factory fitted removable tow bar is good design.
Rear camera with parking sensors gave us a discount with our insurers .
Pleased with Alcantara leather ( not real leather) .

We are taking turns as a lot of info

Yep to 204 if you want 4 Motion
You need to get yourself to a dealer and they will demo the blinds. All windows are covered but there are other after market items you will find for keeping things cosy. For the moment though stick to the basic T6 options as there are quite enough of those to test your resolve on figuring out. All answers are on here. If you go for a T6 you will have plenty of time to find out the rest while your waiting.

All sorts of techie stuff.

Satnav is one which I have gone for but others will opt for using one on there phone linked to screen in Cali with app connect and larger screen. Personal choice.

ACC seems popular especially with those marrying it with DSG.

There is probably no better advice than read the threads and come back with questions if your not sure.

Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome , wish i was ordering a T6
But i spent my money in 2012 on a new T5 SE and only regret is i waited to long ...

Most Q 's here are answerd in a few hours if not minutes.....:D

Hi, just took delivery of my T6 last week and started adding the extras, the fitted blinds are ok but let in a lot of light and no screen cover as standard, I bought a blackout blind from eBay £50 works a treat and packs up in the door pocket, as for sat nav I went with the app connect and use my iPhone on google maps, works just fine and the app does a lot more.
I went for the 204 but manual, after running a loan T5 140 for a few weeks what a difference the 204 makes.

We've had our T6 Ocean for a couple of months.

My twopenarth

I'm not a built-in Satnav fan. I have AppConnect and use Apple CarPlay. This cannot be added later so if you think you might ever want it you need to order now. Works very well for me. Although it's frustrating that it disables Bluetooth media whilst in use as I tend to be in charge of phone and navigation whilst Mrs DM is in charge of music.

I was sceptical about the ACC. But I love it. It basically took us to Austria the weekend before last.

Glass is a big decision. As lots of the options are not compatible with each other. We went for the privacy glass option in the end. It's dark enough for me. There is a whole thread on that here somewhere.

It comes as standard with magnetic blinds for the cab side windows and retractable blinds for the windscreen. We are happy enough with the windscreen blinds - we like a bit of light in the morning to wake us up. But they are a bit delicate. It'll be intersecting to see how long they last.

We are loving the Alcantra so far. Given a choice I would have chosen dark grey but the light grey makes it seem very light and airy inside. It really does wipe clean. We've spilt coffee and butter on it so far. Both wiped off without staining. Better than real suede.

Got the tow bar. Mainly for a bike rack. Haven't really used it yet.

We didn't go 4 Motion as I don't believe this is a true off--road vehicle and we wanted the fifth seat option. Others disagree with me.

You'll find as many opinions as there are options here. Happy research. ;)