Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First impressions of CAMC site

Robert&Catherine

Robert&Catherine

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Just signed up to the Caravan and Motorhome Club as I wanted to visit a couple of their sites. Thought I would share my experience in case other newbie’s are considering signing up. Booking process on line was fairly straightforward. Then received a personal email from the local caravan club inviting me to attend a rally….she helpfully attached the latest newsletter which had pages and pages of rules and regulations, broken up with health and safety or common sense notices every where! I was therefore somewhat hesitant as I pulled up to the campsite this afternoon…fearing the worst Basil Fawlty checking in experience. Well it was absolutely lovely… friendly laid back couple on reception, relaxed choice of multiple sites to pitch-up, lovely wash-up facilities and shower block…. and very few notices. So far one of the best sites I have been to … great location but also very relaxing. Not sure if the Bolton Abbey site is typical of what I can expect but will definitely be trying other sites based on this experience.

Just signed up to the Caravan and Motorhome Club as I wanted to visit a couple of their sites. Thought I would share my experience in case other newbie’s are considering signing up. Booking process on line was fairly straightforward. Then received a personal email from the local caravan club inviting me to attend a rally….she helpfully attached the latest newsletter which had pages and pages of rules and regulations, broken up with health and safety or common sense notices every where! I was therefore somewhat hesitant as I pulled up to the campsite this afternoon…fearing the worst Basil Fawlty checking in experience. Well it was absolutely lovely… friendly laid back couple on reception, relaxed choice of multiple sites to pitch-up, lovely wash-up facilities and shower block…. and very few notices. So far one of the best sites I have been to … great location but also very relaxing. Not sure if the Bolton Abbey site is typical of what I can expect but will definitely be trying other sites based on this experience.
In my very limited experience of C&MC sites, and I really do mean limited, you have certainly found a good'un.
On a recent tour of theWest of Scotland I booked a night at Carradale Bay on the Mull of Kintyre. The setting is gorgeous, right on the beach which a small group of paragliders were using as a runway. Facilities were good too. Loved it.
BUT the guy on reception was a bit grumpy, which considering I had just driven about 10 miles along a single track lane with occasional passing places wasn't the welcome I hoped for. Despite lots of apparently vacant pitches he put me on one that was beyond reach of my EHU cable, and gave me no choice. We managed fine without the hook up, but left with a sense of not wanting to return, which given the setting was disappointing.
I am happy to try others, maybe Bolton Abbey (hurriedly looking it up on Google maps...)

In my very limited experience of C&MC sites, and I really do mean limited, you have certainly found a good'un.
On a recent tour of theWest of Scotland I booked a night at Carradale Bay on the Mull of Kintyre. The setting is gorgeous, right on the beach which a small group of paragliders were using as a runway. Facilities were good too. Loved it.
BUT the guy on reception was a bit grumpy, which considering I had just driven about 10 miles along a single track lane with occasional passing places wasn't the welcome I hoped for. Despite lots of apparently vacant pitches he put me on one that was beyond reach of my EHU cable, and gave me no choice. We managed fine without the hook up, but left with a sense of not wanting to return, which given the setting was disappointing.
I am happy to try others, maybe Bolton Abbey (hurriedly looking it up on Google maps...)
Strange, Clive’s usually very friendly unless he catches you putting blue toilet fluid down the disposal point. Carradale is not a normal club site, it’s an affiliated one, it’s the site owner that runs it. You can tell it’s not a proper C&MC site as there’s free Wi-Fi if you ask nicely.

We frequently use C&MC sites & I’ve only been really annoyed by one warden & that was about 10 years ago.
On the other hand I’ve lost count of the number of things I’ve seen done by other campers that would make me the grumpiest warden going.

I have been considering joining C&MC: Could any member(s) comment on, 1, value for money and, 2, help with European travel please?

Many thanks. I'll continue with ACSI solely.

Value for money - they are expensive but you only need to spend about 3 nights a year on one of their sites to save the cost of membership in reduced site fees.

We use them for stopovers as you know what you are going to get before you get there. The rules you either like or you don't. Personally I don't want loud music at two in the morning, people lighting bonfires ( sorry fire pits) nearby. I do want a decent shower etc.

They also have some sites in pretty decent locations where other options are limited, I'm thinking York - in the town centre, Brighton on the edge of town & still cheaper than paying a days parking, Bristol, Hawes a 2 minute walk from the village. For me it's worth the membership just to use those for a few nights a year. On the other hand if you are more of a park in the woods & a bucket & trowel are your preferred bathroom they are probably not for you.

I have booked sites abroad with them before & not had any problems, I wouldn't book the channel tunnel with them as it restricts your ability to change your booking.

Thanks for the info. I'd noticed they turn up on maps of areas with little else available. Hot showers and restaurants are more my style ...

I have been considering joining C&MC: Could any member(s) comment on, 1, value for money and, 2, help with European travel please?
Value wise…. not cheap but you need to factor in that as well as their own and affiliated sites you get access to CLs.

Strange, Clive’s usually very friendly unless he catches you putting blue toilet fluid down the disposal point. Carradale is not a normal club site, it’s an affiliated one, it’s the site owner that runs it. You can tell it’s not a proper C&MC site as there’s free Wi-Fi if you ask nicely.

We frequently use C&MC sites & I’ve only been really annoyed by one warden & that was about 10 years ago.
On the other hand I’ve lost count of the number of things I’ve seen done by other campers that would make me the grumpiest warden going.
Ah, so, not fully representative of C&MC sites then. That’s actually quite reassuring. The site owner might have been having an off day or just come from inspecting the loos. Thanks for the info, I might give the site another go

Since joining in June we’ve only stayed at 1 main CAMC site, but used 4 CL sites

They aren’t cheap but generally well kept and well run. I can deal with grumps on reception as it’s about 1% of the total experience.

don't get hung up on 'clean facilities' that you might use once a day for 5 minutes. its a myth that everywhere else is dirty. i stick to independents only,some fantastic ones to be found. check out ' searchforsites ' app. i use it all the time when touring around. i was with camc but after a few expensive stays and as pointed out, noticing big whites and caravanners watching tv evry night decided it's not for me,the final nail for me was some warden wanting me to wear a mask in the empty shop months after they were dropped from the 'rules' and tried to charge me a pound to buy one from him. camc buxton i think. i was longer in the shop arguing with him than i would have been if he just took my money and let me walk out. what an arsehole. the 'friendly club' aren't much better either

don't get hung up on 'clean facilities' that you might use once a day for 5 minutes. its a myth that everywhere else is dirty. i stick to independents only,some fantastic ones to be found. check out ' searchforsites ' app. i use it all the time when touring around. i was with camc but after a few expensive stays and as pointed out, noticing big whites and caravanners watching tv evry night decided it's not for me,the final nail for me was some warden wanting me to wear a mask in the empty shop months after they were dropped from the 'rules' and tried to charge me a pound to buy one from him. camc buxton i think. i was longer in the shop arguing with him than i would have been if he just took my money and let me walk out. what an arsehole. the 'friendly club' aren't much better either
I prefer independents too. There are some real gems out there. There are some truly awful ones too. This year we arrived at the “worst campsite in the UK” memorable only as the worst site we’ve ever booked. It was basically some waste ground in the middle of a council estate run by gypsies, we booked it as it was advertised as having a toilet block, which turned out to be a plastic porta-loo bought second hand from Glastonbury festival. The owner was covered in tattoos and look like a bare knuckle fighting champion, although she was very polite and took a keen interest in my border terrier, which was nice…I think. We were too timid to complain so decided to forfeit our deposit and sleep in a lay-by.

One good thing about C&MC is you know what you are going to get, consistently and reliably bland.

I prefer independents too. There are some real gems out there. There are some truly awful ones too. This year we arrived at the “worst campsite in the UK” memorable only as the worst site we’ve ever booked. It was basically some waste ground in the middle of a council estate run by gypsies, we booked it as it was advertised as having a toilet block, which turned out to be a plastic porta-loo bought second hand from Glastonbury festival. The owner was covered in tattoos and look like a bare knuckle fighting champion, although she was very polite and took a keen interest in my border terrier, which was nice…I think. We were too timid to complain so decided to forfeit our deposit and sleep in a lay-by.

One good thing about C&MC is you know what you are going to get, consistently and reliably bland.
We should start a sh1te campsite thread to warn our fellow club members. I'll start with one, holt hollow in norfolk

We have had great experience over the last 6 years with them - in our (now-departed) Beach - helpful wardens and really clean facilities (have we been lucky?). Value for money? - well after 4 or 5 nights we apparently saved the cost of joining due to the discounted site price for club members

Nice heated toilet blocks in the winter. Easy booking online. If you book ferries to Europe with C&MC sites either side, they keep an eye on ferry cancellations and sort it all out for you, worth it's weight in gold for this on one trip!

Stayed at a few C&MC this found them fine, not had any issues with the site management and no fire pits is a bonus. Facilities always clean and warm, they make a big thing about 6m separation, however on some sites you do feel a little close to your neighbours. You pick your own pitch on arrival which is good, but find that you need to arrive by mid afternoon to get a good choice. Also get a monthly mag which is worth a read.

C&MC also have low deposit, balance collected on day of arrival and it’s easy to change booking and get refunds if your plans change.

Also stayed at independent sites, some really great ones others less so. My observation on independents is that whilst facilities are often spotless and great, does not always seem to be enough of them for the size of the site particularly if the site is full.

As always do do your research on any site you are thinking about staying at.

That monthly mag us more boring than their camps. Stories about Doris staying at a lovely site where the wardens were super helpful and friendly and the toilets were clean. Yawn. And a technical section that can't deal with anything more technical than advising people to check their tyre pressures.

That monthly mag us more boring than their camps. Stories about Doris staying at a lovely site where the wardens were super helpful and friendly and the toilets were clean. Yawn. And a technical section that can't deal with anything more technical than advising people to check their tyre pressures.
No way boring mag! Their technical advice on which step to buy was both insightful and pointless:)

Hi,
I have only been a member for 2 years and have yet to find a bad CMC site. They might be slightly more expensive, but as in life - you get what you pay for! For the record my favourite site is Exmoor House in Dulverton.

Only had My Cali 5 weeks, been to 4 CMC sites all good. Possibly toilet / shower block at Warwick racecourse was below par but fantastic location.

The CAMC and CCC are both Clubs with voluntary membership and certain standards and rules. I've used both over the years as they suit us and never had a problem. All have lived upto expectations. A directory of CL/CS sites is a bonus.

The CAMC and CCC are both Clubs with voluntary membership and certain standards and rules. I've used both over the years as they suit us and never had a problem. All have lived upto expectations. A directory of CL/CS sites is a bonus.
They auto renewed me once which also p1ssed me off