Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First California, Hello Everyone

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello, we have just taken the plunge and got our first Cali after years of tent camping with van jealousy. T6 Beach (4 kids...). We have been out for a couple of 'test' trips to get a feel of things and to try and work out what we need/ don't need to take with us. First to Red Shoot in the New Forest and Last weekend to Town Farm, Ivinghoe.

We really enjoyed the diesel air heater - 30 mins on level 1 and we where just right. Does anyone know how much juice the air heater uses (on the highest/ lowest settings)? Probably the worst question to kick off with now it is sunny and 27 degrees!

If I recall correctly from the manual it's 0.3l/h not sure what setting that is.

Hi and welcome , the fuel burn on the heater is minimun so no worry , just note that it turn itself off at a certain low level in the diesel tank to prevent draining all the diesel and the engine to fail...

Welcome from Italy! T6 Beach? WOW. I'm mainly interested in the way you organized your big family…4 kids!! Tell us something more about your test trips and results. Ciao

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

The fuel use is very low - we don't notice it having an effect on the fuel gauge. Just remember you need 17ltr min in the tank or it will not run.

It also won't work under a certain leisure battery voltage can't remember what is is but somebody will know.

Thanks all for your replies. It was so nice and warm we thought there must be a catch - but it appears not and we can just enjoy it when needed.

Does the leisure battery get a full charge once you have driven 100 miles or so (or overnight on a hook up)?

@iganazio - we haven't done a trip with all six of us yet - (our 17 year old is nose in books ahead of exams) so it was three down stairs and wife and I upstairs. Wondering what the normal way of getting upstairs is - stepping on the shoulder of the front seats?

Firstly, hello :)

The leisure battery really needs a 48 hour mains charge to be fully charged but 100 miles or so should see it charged fairly fully.

Solar panel on roof may be the answer?

Mike

....that will prove fun with on-street parking.

Camp site with electrical hook-up?

I would not worry too much, I went 9 months living off alternator charge when I had a charging fault and never had to turn the lights out. The main problem that I had was on those very rare occasions when I had the van parked in the drive for a length of time with things like the fridge left running.

Diesel heater does not use enough diesel to worry about. Even in the middle of Scottish winters with it running from 4pm to the next day it never moved the fuel guage.

I used to take my children (only two of them) tent camping, you must be overjoyed with the Cali. Camping is a brilliant lifestyle and a van is the best tool to enjoy it with ...

Thanks GrannyJen and CFO. I love the idea of solar so we are not slave to finding hookups - I better do some research.

We are loving our Cali, but not sure what happened to that flash of summer....just as we got used to some warmth.

Welcome and have great fun with your new Cali. Is your Cali parking next to your home? So you might have the possibility to hook it up with a long wire - or and thats even better - go do some trips every 2nd day :)

Thanks all for your replies. It was so nice and warm we thought there must be a catch - but it appears not and we can just enjoy it when needed.

Does the leisure battery get a full charge once you have driven 100 miles or so (or overnight on a hook up)?

@iganazio - we haven't done a trip with all six of us yet - (our 17 year old is nose in books ahead of exams) so it was three down stairs and wife and I upstairs. Wondering what the normal way of getting upstairs is - stepping on the shoulder of the front seats?
I broke a very expensive armrest climbing up to the top bed! I now have a Fiamma 2-piece lightweight ladder which works a treat and folds up nicely in the back lower storage area.