Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Filling your own 907 at home

Dragging up an old thread... recently disgusted by the proces of gas bottles and refills I came across the options and adaptors for the small disposable bottles, also linked in this thread.

Searching for bottles I found 2 articles, 1 Polish, 1 Hungarian which show use of the small disposable bottles.. in some countries vw must offer the regulator to fit these bottles.

Screenshot_20240523_092254_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240523_092908_Chrome.jpg

Hi Bill - I know this is an old thread but if you're still around - do you by any chance have the part numbers for the above connection pipe? Especially that end connector to the 907 - does it say Mondeal?
I would be interested in this too. Makes perfect sense with the right gear

Dragging up an old thread... recently disgusted by the proces of gas bottles and refills I came across the options and adaptors for the small disposable bottles, also linked in this thread.

Searching for bottles I found 2 articles, 1 Polish, 1 Hungarian which show use of the small disposable bottles.. in some countries vw must offer the regulator to fit these bottles.

View attachment 123706

View attachment 123707
I still believe carrying a spare 907 is the best solution, quick easy changeover, I make sure both my cylinders are full when we depart for our annual two month trip around Europe. Being able to fill your own helps as you can easily top up the one that's in use. I'm still using propane so all temperatures are accommodated.

I would be interested in this too. Makes perfect sense with the right gear

I have all the other parts as listed on the first post but can't find the correct 907 adapter - obviously don't want the non return valve version. I'm unsure if this part is the correct version.

I still believe carrying a spare 907 is the best solution, quick easy changeover, I make sure both my cylinders are full when we depart for our annual two month trip around Europe. Being able to fill your own helps as you can easily top up the one that's in use. I'm still using propane so all temperatures are accommodated.
This is the best solution if space is at a premium - can't be bothered to carry two 907 cylinders and you can get these small cannisters everywhere if you need to.

I have all the other parts as listed on the first post but can't find the correct 907 adapter - obviously don't want the non return valve version. I'm unsure if this part is the correct version.

You should already have one of those in the van. I didn’t buy one, just used the one from the van

Looks correct, but that's not my area of expertise

I've ordered this one - I think it will work.

Hi Bill - I know this is an old thread but if you're still around - do you by any chance have the part numbers for the above connection pipe? Especially that end connector to the 907 - does it say Mondeal?
Hey Mr B, I’ll have a look in the garage when I’m home.
I did try it, but I’ll be honest and felt like I was flying by the seat of my pants.
I’d rather pay the money out and get it professionally done by the experts.
Not worth my life tbh.
I have the cash, so bought two 907’s and a 904.
Got them swapped out in France 3 years ago.
I keep 907 in the cupboard and a 904 in the boot sliding tray.
Also have a vango roar with 1 can in the boot. (5 more upstairs)
So zombie apocalypse ready.
There was a radio feature about being prepped and ready for all eventualities.
40% of people are not prepped to last more than a couple of days.
And would need to Q for days to eat from Hov handouts.
Apologies, gone right off topic, ha !

IMG_1919.png
This is the one I bought.

I'm not sure it's actually difficult in anyway - you've just got to be sure that you don't overfill the 907 by measuring the weight constantly as stated on the side of the bottle.

It's just a case of transferring liquid gas from one container to another. If it leaks then turn it off - it's not just going to explode.

Also even in the event there was a fire they are not easy to explode as evidenced by some of my idiot friends who put one on a fire once. It took 20 mins before it went boom. Needless to say they were hiding behind a concrete wall the whole time - but it was quite robust even in that situation.

I think overfilling it is more dangerous but it doesn't suddenly pressurise. It needs quite some time to transfer the liquid across. Anyway - yeah I have the Calor Gas already it's not really an issue to refill the smaller Campinggaz bottles and makes sense - it's about £8 instead of £45. I'll probably only need to do it once a year for both my 907 cannisters.

Hey Mr B, I’ll have a look in the garage when I’m home.
I did try it, but I’ll be honest and felt like I was flying by the seat of my pants.
I’d rather pay the money out and get it professionally done by the experts.
Not worth my life tbh.
I have the cash, so bought two 907’s and a 904.
Got them swapped out in France 3 years ago.
I keep 907 in the cupboard and a 904 in the boot sliding tray.
Also have a vango roar with 1 can in the boot. (5 more upstairs)
So zombie apocalypse ready.
There was a radio feature about being prepped and ready for all eventualities.
40% of people are not prepped to last more than a couple of days.
And would need to Q for days to eat from Hov handouts.
Apologies, gone right off topic, ha !
I agree, if the notion of doing this fills you with dread then it is simply not worth the hassle. As I said in my first post I am completely comfortable about doing this but it is not for everybody. However to put things into perspective it is not particularly risky if you apply common sense and care (but then so are many things in life I guess).

If you only really get through one or maybe two cylinders a year then I don’t think it makes any sense financially. On the other hand if like me‘ you get through through 6 or more then the savings are massive. I have filled 6 cylinders this year so far for £53 compared to £288 at local prices :thumb

Be safe, be comfortable, otherwise no.

I'm not sure it's actually difficult in anyway - you've just got to be sure that you don't overfill the 907 by measuring the weight constantly as stated on the side of the bottle.

It's just a case of transferring liquid gas from one container to another. If it leaks then turn it off - it's not just going to explode.

Also even in the event there was a fire they are not easy to explode as evidenced by some of my idiot friends who put one on a fire once. It took 20 mins before it went boom. Needless to say they were hiding behind a concrete wall the whole time - but it was quite robust even in that situation.

I think overfilling it is more dangerous but it doesn't suddenly pressurise. It needs quite some time to transfer the liquid across. Anyway - yeah I have the Calor Gas already it's not really an issue to refill the smaller Campinggaz bottles and makes sense - it's about £8 instead of £45. I'll probably only need to do it once a year for both my 907 cannisters.
I agree, over filling is the real threat. I deliberately under fill mine by 0.3 kg to provide a little ‘wiggle room’. I actually manage to fill 7 cylinders this way. Me and my bank balance are very happy with this.

Oh, just to provide some perspective I should add that we are effectively living on our sailing yacht at present (due to house purchase complications!) so we do all our cooking, baking etc using 907’s. And when not on the boat we re run the fun in the van (but with less ‘full on’ cooking).

Actually I have just realised that since posting this thread in the first place I have used three 15Kg cylinders so far, the first one was £50 and the last two £53 each. Kerching! :thumb

Last edited:
I agree, over filling is the real threat. I deliberately under fill mine by 0.3 kg to provide a little ‘wiggle room’. I actually manage to fill 7 cylinders this way. Me and my bank balance are very happy with this.

Oh, just to provide some perspective I should add that we are effectively living on our sailing yacht at present (due to house purchase complications!) so we do all our cooking, baking etc using 907’s. And when not on the boat we re run the fun in the van (but with less ‘full on’ cooking).

Actually I have just realised that since posting this thread in the first place I have used three 15Kg cylinders so far, the first one was £50 and the last two £53 each. Kerching! :thumb
Sounds like a nice life :)

This is the best solution if space is at a premium - can't be bothered to carry two 907 cylinders and you can get these small cannisters everywhere if you need to.

We don't find space an issue, we take paddle boards, rock climbing, hiking and MTB gear in our van, we don't use the lower bed at all so that rear storage area never needs to be used for sleeping.

The small containers will work for sure

Would it be possible/sensible to refill a 907 using propane?

The reason I ask is that I have two full Calor propane caravan sized cylinders doing nothing.

Would the two ring hob in the Ocean run happily on propane without changing the nozzle sizes or regulator?

Would it be possible/sensible to refill a 907 using propane?

The reason I ask is that I have two full Calor propane caravan sized cylinders doing nothing.

Would the two ring hob in the Ocean run happily on propane without changing the nozzle sizes or regulator?
Short answer is yes, no need to change nozzle sizes or regulator.

Search this site for more information including filling your own 907's which you will need to do.

Last edited:
Some conflicting views in the link above about filling a 907 with Propane.

I'm going to look at the two 907 cylinders I have and see if they are dual stamped for butane and propane.

However, I am pretty relaxed about trying it.

But before doing so, I'm going to see how much gas we actually get through this season, then decide if it is worthwhile.

I already have an adaptor valve which screws onto the 907 cylinder to take a screw on butane adaptor, so all I would need is a pigtale with a POL male propane fitting on one end and an M21.8 swivel fitting on the other.

Some conflicting views in the link above about filling a 907 with Propane.

I'm going to look at the two 907 cylinders I have and see if they are dual stamped for butane and propane.

However, I am pretty relaxed about trying it.

But before doing so, I'm going to see how much gas we actually get through this season, then decide if it is worthwhile.

I already have an adaptor valve which screws onto the 907 cylinder to take a screw on butane adaptor, so all I would need is a pigtale with a POL male propane fitting on one end and an M21.8 swivel fitting on the other.
We find two 907's last us our two month trip, we usually do all our cooking on gas, outside we use a Campinggaz griddle / burner using the spare cylinder. We cook outside mostly if the weather is good.

We've found main way to save gas is using an electric kettle when on hook up, boiling kettles uses a lot of gas

We also take a small microwave, great for potatoes and packet rice.

First time refilling.

Very straightforward. Much quicker than expected to fill. Around 5 mins per bottle. Kept weighing it every 20-30 secs.

Put a total of 4kg to fill two 907 cylinders to 6kg each total weight

Cost for using my Calor 15kg butane was

£4.93 * 4kg = £19.72

Cost to buy the equivalent 4kg of butane from Flogas in a 907 based on their price of £48 for a 907 refill would of been....

£70.80

Campinggaz per kg = £17.70

So saved £51.08. Paid for my connectors £38 so quids in already.

That's quite a saving. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you understand the risks. I was initially quite nervous (so I only smoked 1 fag whilst doing it in my kitchen, normally I'd have at least 2 or 3... that's a joke, you have to say this these days) but then realised it's just a case of keeping an eye on the weight of filling 907. I only filled to 6kgs so they are not anywhere near the max at roughly 6.5kg but plenty full for the next trip.

Campinggaz is a complete con.

Couple of tips:

Pre load the connecting hose with butane from the large cylinder you are connecting from before you connect the 907

Do it outside away from buildings

Weigh it constantly or as often as possible (it fills quicker than I imagined it would)

I didn't heat or cool either of the cylinders prior to filling

Last edited:
First time refilling.

Very straightforward. Much quicker than expected to fill. Around 5 mins per bottle. Kept weighing it every 20-30 secs.

Put a total of 4kg to fill two 907 cylinders to 6kg each total weight

Cost for using my Calor 15kg butane was

£4.93 * 4kg = £19.72

Cost to buy the equivalent 4kg of butane from Flogas in a 907 based on their price of £48 for a 907 refill would of been....

£70.80

Campinggaz per kg = £17.70

So saved £51.08. Paid for my connectors £38 so quids in already.

That's quite a saving. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you understand the risks. I was initially quite nervous (so I only smoked 1 fag whilst doing it in my kitchen, normally I'd have at least 2 or 3... that's a joke, you have to say this these days) but then realised it's just a case of keeping an eye on the weight of filling 907. I only filled to 6kgs so they are not anywhere near the max at roughly 6.5kg but plenty full for the next trip.

Campinggaz is a complete con.

Couple of tips:

Pre load the connecting hose with butane from the large cylinder you are connecting from before you connect the 907

Do it outside away from buildings

Weigh it constantly or as often as possible (it fills quicker than I imagined it would)

I didn't heat or cool either of the cylinders prior to filling
Eh? My 15kg costs £53 so only £3.53 per Kg

Parked the idea of using Propane for the time being.
But I have geared up to refill my 907 Campingaz and 4.5Kg Calor butane cylinders.

£10 for an empty 15Kg Calor butane cylinder on ebay locally.
£27 for a 1m long 21mm calor bayonet to 21.8mm swivel butane connector hose. (I already have a suitable Campingaz valve)

Total outlay for the kit £37.

Exchanged the empty 15Kg cylinder for a full one at £50.85. So £3.39 a Kg for the gas.

For the Campingaz cylinder : 2.7 x £3.39 =£9.15, vs local exchange £49.99. Saving £40.83.
For the 4.5Kg Calor cylinder : 4.5 x £3.39 = £15.26, vs local exchange £33.00. Saving £17.74.

The kit will have paid for itself on the 1st Campinggaz cylinder DIY refill.

As per the advice above and elsewhere, I will only refill the empty cylinders to 80% of the full weight.